Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:45:10 am

Author Topic: Bea needs to get her P's  (Read 29490 times)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: Bea needs to get her P's
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »
+2
I drove for the first time using my mother's car yesterday because I wanted to test it out. I drove for (literally) five minutes and my mother told me afterwards that I can only drive her car (for reals) once I've finished all my 10 hour driving lessons with NRMA lmao. I found my mother's car's brake and pedal to be a lot more sensitive than the one I use for my lessons and the steering wheel harder to work.

Don't think there's any point in logging five minutes into my log book aha
It can take a bit of getting used to to drive other cars but I think it's a really important thing to do when you're learning to drive. It makes you more aware of and sensitive to the car and what it's doing, and it makes you keep on paying attention because no car drives the exact same as another one.

Keep on soldiering on, Bea! You're doing an awesome job

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 04:09:25 pm »
+2
It can take a bit of getting used to to drive other cars but I think it's a really important thing to do when you're learning to drive. It makes you more aware of and sensitive to the car and what it's doing, and it makes you keep on paying attention because no car drives the exact same as another one.

This is why ATAR Notes is great. 😍

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2018, 05:28:58 pm »
+4

My instructor told me that I will swap to my mum's car by my 7th/8th lesson so that I could get used to it. Makes me a bit nervous though because (obviously) my mother's car doesn't have a dual brake like my instructor's car but ya girl gotta get over her fears in order to get her P's.

Thanks Kate <3
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »
+10
Yay another one hour driving lesson today woohoo!

I've noticed I'm better with turning and swapping lanes now which is good.

Though when stopping/giving way at intersections, I tend to hold off for a long time and my instructor's like "JUST DRIVE ALREADY" which is a new goal I must work on.

Edit: It was my first time driving on a Saturday so the roads were busier than usual and there were so many cars oml nearly cried.

Hours driven: 16.5 (day) 0 (night)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:25:32 pm by beatroot »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »
+6
Yay another one hour driving lesson today woohoo!

I've noticed I'm better with turning and swapping lanes now which is good.

Though when stopping/giving way at intersections, I tend to hold off for a long time and my instructor's like "JUST DRIVE ALREADY" which is a new goal I must work on.

Edit: It was my first time driving on a Saturday so the roads were busier than usual and there were so many cars oml nearly cried.

Hours driven: 16.5 (day) 0 (night)
When I was learning to drive I also found it hard to know how long to leave when giving way. When you're a passenger and someone's driving pay attention to what sort of gaps they leave, I found watching people helped me develop my skills. Most of all just keep on practicing!!

Absolutely killing it, Bea 👊

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2018, 09:04:00 pm »
+9
hi how are ya?

Another one hour- well 40 minutes for my driving lesson today. Here's the thing- my instructor was late by 10 minutes and I begged my instructor to let me get to my film shoot 10 minutes early. He was very understanding and could tell I was stressing about my film shoot so the missing 20 minutes from today shall be added onto my lesson next week.

ANYWAYS, for the first time ever he made me start driving straight from my house. I was a bit scared at first because when you try to get onto the main road from my street, there are literally tons of cars parked on the road so you can't even see if there are cars approaching. I managed to pull through and I'm more confident with decision making when it comes to normal/T intersections yay!

My turning is definitely getting better which is so G R E A T !!! I even managed to do a fourth exit on a roundabout and I was screaming because I was so happy I managed to do a fourth exit woohoo!

I drove in tons of steep areas so the brake and the accelerator were definitely my best friends for today.

My instructor said I'll be driving in my mother's car very soon. How exciting.
Also possible chance he'll make me drive in the CBD in the next lesson.
I'm lowkey terrified.

Sydney drivers are a nightmare.

That's all from today xo

Hours driven: 19.5 (day) 0 (night)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 09:07:34 pm by beatroot »

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2018, 11:14:47 pm »
+5
Lol.
I drove from Melb to Syd at the end of last year and it was absolutely perfect until I got into inner Sydney... :(

It's terrifying in there! :'(
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 10:38:52 pm »
+7
I drove with my instructor again (what a surprise!) but this time …I DROVE MY MOTHER’S CAR :O

The brake and accelerator were so darn sensitive at first and the steering wheel was so different to my instructor’s car. It was just like when I first drove her car three weeks ago. But after a few minutes, I realised that her car wasn't so bad after all. In fact, the steering wheel was better to manoeuvre and the accelerator wasn't too bad. Brake was still meh but not as sensitive as to when I first drove it. Yay! My mum's car is a lil Yaris so it does take time to build speed but at least it decreases chances of me driving over the speed limit aha.

My instructor made me drive to a shopping centre nearby and we drove around the carpark. I practiced how to park my car (my car was on an angle but at least I was in between the white lines ;) ). I also drove on the motorway again oml (80km/hr is honestly crazy ahhh). Driving through roundabouts is getting better and my turning is great now!

Although if there's one thing I noticed from today, since I was using a new car- I was a bit more tensed because I was fully aware that my mother's car did not have a dual brake like my instructor's car. My arms were tensed as well so everytime I would look in my side mirror when changing lanes or looking at my speedometer, my arms would move the steering wheel a bit to the point where parts of the car were so damn close to another lane/car (if that makes sense?) This is definitely a thing I need to work on because I obviously don't want to drift into a different lane/car by accident.

Though I am glad I was able to use my mother's car and get used to its accelerator and brake because now this presents many opportunities beyond driving with my instructor and show my mother that- yes I am capable of driving her car. I'm hoping to drive to university tomorrow and drive to my grandparents' place this Sunday.

:)
My 16 year old cousin got his L's recently and I am turning 19 this October (wow I'm getting old). It would be embarrassing if he got his red P's before me. He lives in an area where public transport barely exists whilst buses come every five minutes from where I live. Of course, he has a lot more opportunities than me. Though he does need to hold his L's for at least a year before he gets his P's. I've had this learner's license for nearly two years now so I can pretty much take the test once I reach 120 hours. The goal is to get my P's by May next year- just a month before I have production block at film school. It will make things so much easier if I were to drive to film shoots rather than taking public transport.

A very long entry today but I'm just glad that I was able to drive my mother's Yaris.

Hours driven: 22.5 hours (day) 0 (night)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2018, 07:23:25 pm »
+6
hey guys

I drove a total of 1hr 20mins today- broken down into three different drives (15 minutes, 35 minutes & 30 minutes)

I did drive to my grandparents’ place today. I also drove my mother, uncle and my cousins to a nearby outlet.

Drive was quite good besides me, yet again, not exactly driving in the middle of my lane and drifting slowly to either the lane on my left or right. Parking was quite tragic and oml I hate it so much.

Besides from that, I’m glad that I was able to drive my mother’s car WITH my mother and uncle as my supervising drivers. Can’t wait to tell my instructor this big news!

PS: I also calculated if I do a minimum of 2 hours driving per week, I can get my red P’s by May (excluding my remaining driving lessons and the safe drivers’ course)

Hours driven: 23.7 (day) 0 (night)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 06:16:52 pm »
+7
Idk if anyone's getting sick of me constantly updating this thread ahaha pls tell me

I drove again (wow no way woah woah woah) with my instructor in the passenger and my mother in the backseat. We drove around this really nice area near my suburb that I've never been to before (lack of public transport in the area) so it was nice discovering this new place. It was slighly spitting today though so it was my first time driving using a windshield wiper and I guess that was pretty cool.

Still facing the same goddamn problem- staying right in the middle of my lane. It just feels right when you're sitting in the driver's seat, you know? But apparently I veer off slightly to the left lane which is a big no no. And also turning omllll I keep eating the other lane AHHHHH.

I encountered the WORST drivers today. The worse one was when I was trying to turn right onto my street but this driver beeped me even though I was indicating right. I was just waiting for the road to clear for me to turn. SYDNEY DRIVERS YOU ARE THE WORSE and put me off driving sometimes smh. It makes me wonder how they even got their full license in the first place, but that's none of my business *Kermit sipping tea gif*

I've got three lessons left with my driving instructor which is actually kinda sad.

Hours driven: 26hrs 50mins (day) 0 (night)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 06:20:11 pm by beatroot »

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 06:49:36 pm »
+1
Smashing it, B!

jazcstuart

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 07:39:20 pm »
+1
Still facing the same goddamn problem- staying right in the middle of my lane. It just feels right when you're sitting in the driver's seat, you know? But apparently I veer off slightly to the left lane which is a big no no. And also turning omllll I keep eating the other lane AHHHHH.

I encountered the WORST drivers today. The worse one was when I was trying to turn right onto my street but this driver beeped me even though I was indicating right. I was just waiting for the road to clear for me to turn. SYDNEY DRIVERS YOU ARE THE WORSE and put me off driving sometimes smh. It makes me wonder how they even got their full license in the first place, but that's none of my business *Kermit sipping tea gif*

I've got three lessons left with my driving instructor which is actually kinda sad.

Hours driven: 26hrs 50mins (day) 0 (night)
Ahh yeah staying straight in your lane takes some getting used to, I think it's because you are used to sitting in the passenger seat which is on the opposite side of the car.

With the bad drivers, you can just imagine instructers crying inside thinking about how people they may have taught have ended up such reckless/dangerous drivers  :-\  This is why I live in Newcastle, there are still bad drivers but at least there aren't as many people on the roads.

Keep it up though, it will definitely be worth it when you get your Ps  :D
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »
+12
Gave my mother and my aunt a lil tour of my university then drove to a nearby Westfield via the motorway (1.5hrs from today). Turning and brake are improving though my judgement of other drivers was very poor today. It was quite a tense drive.

Hours driven: 28hrs 20mins (day) 0 (night)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 08:43:14 pm »
+8
I used my driving instructor's car since my mum was out with her car for the entire day. It was weird being back in his car. Brake was definitely sensitive, as well as the steering wheel.

Today's drive has been filled with many unsafe driving practices (forgive me driving gods/NRMA) due to me worrying about my auditions after the drive (I really need to stop booking driving lessons before film shoots and other film related things- it doesn't help aha). For instance, forgetting to indicate when I'm turning (IM SORRY) or stepping on the gas to avoid stopping at an intersection that's about to turn red from yellow (again, IM SORRY) or not checking my mirrors when I'm changing lanes (I REALLY AM SORRY) and most of all- parking in a no stopping zone and pressing on the hazard button to avoid getting caught (IM A DISAPPOINTMENT).

Today has been W I L D. I think it was a mixture of the fact- a) since I was back in my instructor's car, the dual brake meant I knew he had control of the car b) me being anxious about the auditions after the drive c) me being overly confident (since this is my 9th lesson) that I seem to forget all the basic stuff ie; forgetting to put down the handbrake and change into drive when I was about to start driving.

I'll be good next lesson, I swear.

But besides from that, tons of windy and steep roads today. It was a good challenge.

I'll be driving in Sydney's CBD next week. Wish me luck! I hate Sydney drivers. (which means I hate myself hohohoho hilarious)

Hours driven: 31hrs 20 mins (day) 0 (night)

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:34 pm »
+1
You go girl!

Next challenge: 35 hours.