Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:06:29 pm

Author Topic: Dalyell Scholars - What is it like?  (Read 15872 times)

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
  • Respect: 0
Dalyell Scholars - What is it like?
« on: April 16, 2018, 11:35:01 pm »
Hey! I'm currently in Year 12 and I had a few questions about USYD's Dalyell Scholars program:

1. What are some unique programs / courses that you are offered as a Dalyell Scholar?
2. Is the ATAR cut-off precisely 98.00 or does it allow for some leniency (say 97.50)?
3. What are some of the skills / information you have gained from the program so far?

I do realise that these sound like interview questions or something hahah but I just had a few questions heading towards UAC applications so it would be great to know! Thank you :D
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
Re: Dalyell Scholars - What is it like?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:24 am »
+11
Hey there! That’s a great question!
I’m a current Dalyell Scholar completing a Bachelor of Commerce/Adv Studies (but I’ll be switching to Comm/Comp next semester!)

1. So as a Dalyell Scholar you’re basically a regular student doing a regular degree, except you get exclusive access to workshops, events, and networks. So for first year you get a student mentor (basically a 3rd year!), but the next years, you get a professor/industry professional as your mentor to guide you. And you have a network of other Dalyell Scholars, who are all destined to be pretty important people— make that network early!

They also automatically give you a $2K scholarship to go on exchange— no application necessary! And every so often, there are talks and events hosted exclusively for Dalyell students. For others, you get early access— e.g. as of writing this, I’m going to the Sydney Abroad Fair, which starts at 11, but Dalyell students get to go in at 10.

Also they host quite a few breakfasts/luncheons and the food is great ;)

2. I’m not sure about leniency, since there are quite a few Dalyell scholars (200 in the business faculty alone!) and they send out invitations to join the stream. I can probably ask around and get back to you!

3. Right now, it’s mostly opportunities and the network. But they have masterclasses and talks planned in the coming months that you can go to. I’m not sure what they’ll be about.
There’s a lot of interdisciplinary mingling, which I think is brilliant, since you’d want your future partners/team members to cover a wider range of skills.

You do get to do enrichment courses (aka higher level courses without needing to do the prerequisites), but don’t make the same mistake I did and try to tackle a 3rd year Finance subject in your first semester of university :)
There are also Dalyell exclusive classes that further challenge you and develop your leadership skills. The best part— all your team members are guaranteed to be hard working and amazing!

Overall, being a Dalyell Scholar is pretty worth it. But you do have a 75 average to maintain, but I think you can handle it.

Feel free to ask more questions! Hope this helps :)
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry

JTrudeau

• Trendsetter
  • Master of the Meeses
  • Respect: +90
Re: Dalyell Scholars - What is it like?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 04:09:14 pm »
+3
Update on the ATAR requirement: there are definitely Dalyell Scholars who got atars less than 98.00, so you should definitely put it in your course preferences if you're interested! :)

EDIT: I've been told the cutoff is 95 for E12, Future Leaders, and other alternate entries schemes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 04:30:51 pm by JTrudeau »
Data Science, Finance || University of Sydney
== First in State for Software Design and Development 2017 ==
Advanced English | Maths Extension 1 | Maths Extension 2 | Economics | Software Design & Development | Chemistry