Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:23:33 am

Author Topic: PSM question  (Read 10186 times)  Share 

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
PSM question
« on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:53 pm »
Hi guys!

I have a few questions I hope that can be answered!

1. In what phase of the PSM does User documentation/training/User acceptance testing occur?

Because I thought that User doc (Quick start guide etc) are determined during development, as with training and user acceptance testing. And during evaluation the developers just simply evaluate the appropriateness/success of the methods used.

2. What is acceptance testing and is it the same as "user acceptance testing"

because I take user acceptance testing to be testing done by the INTENDED user of the system, not the people who hired the developers to take the job or whatever. So is acceptance testing simple testing done by the key stake holders that employ the developer, a similar question came up in the 2012 SD exam. I know there's a post already on here about it but the question is a tad ambiguous.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Good luck for the exam!

Ya Habibi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2014
Re: PSM question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 04:27:35 pm »
1. This stuff is done in the development stage of the PSM. This is where code manipulation also is found.

2. User Acceptance Testing is done in the Dev stage, where the employers check through the solution and 'sign off'. It is a event of seeing if the solution meets or exceeds the functional and non functional requirements of the proposed system. Also, the scope is looked at to see if everything meets it.
2013 Subjects: IT: Software Development (38)

2014 Subjects: Math Methods (36), English (44), French (35), Physics (36), Chemistry (38)

ATAR: 96.85

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:09 pm »
1. This stuff is done in the development stage of the PSM. This is where code manipulation also is found.

2. User Acceptance Testing is done in the Dev stage, where the employers check through the solution and 'sign off'. It is a event of seeing if the solution meets or exceeds the functional and non functional requirements of the proposed system. Also, the scope is looked at to see if everything meets it.

Thanks for your reply!

But why do they call it "end USER acceptance testing" if it is done by the employer? I thought a relevant stake holder would be the user themselves.

speedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »
Surely if it's end user acceptance testing, then it would be directed at the users of the solution, to see if it meets their requirements and to gauge how happy they are with the solution?

Edit: I've never seen it being called "end user acceptance testing". I have always know acceptance testing as being on the people that hired the software developer, to identify if their needs have been met.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 07:55:34 pm by knightaz »
Physics [50] | Chemistry [45] | English [42] | IT:SD [44]
ATAR: 98.95

Ya Habibi

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »
No, I don't think so. From all the practice exams I've done from a multitude of sources, they have always referred to it as User Acceptance Testing, in which the employer and their staff check the solution, not the actual users.
2013 Subjects: IT: Software Development (38)

2014 Subjects: Math Methods (36), English (44), French (35), Physics (36), Chemistry (38)

ATAR: 96.85

speedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:29 pm »
Hmm, this is from VCEIT.com

Acceptance testing is where the customer who commissioned the system demands a demonstration that the system meets its original specifications before you get paid.
User acceptance testing involve testing whether the needs of the end-user of the system are satisfied. This can be done by observing end-users use the system and surveying a sample of users to find their opinions of the system. Before launching products, manufacturers often conduct market research to see how people respond to the new product (e.g. 'taste tests', supervised trials). A supermarket testing its new aisle layouts might observe trial customers and record their movements, time their actions and record the quantity and types of purchases they make. They might find, for example, that the new aisle layout is confusing and customers are buying less because they give up and leave. Interviews and questionnaires can discover the users' opinions, which cannot always be discovered by observation.

Checkmate

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Overnewton College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:44:59 pm »
Hmm, this is from VCEIT.com
yes afaik, acceptance testing can be done by the organisation who contracted the developer pretending to be the clients and running it through its expected inputs and outputs, but never would a real client be used in case of a big error.

UAT on the other hand uses real life end users in a controlled number for the same purpose for a trial before fully pushing the solution out.

Basically what vceit said is what I inferred from the prac exams. There is certainly a difference.
2013:
English, Maths Methods, Business Management, Physics, IT: Software Development

2014:
CompSci (BSc) @ The University of Melbourne

speedy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:49:15 pm »
+1
Yeah, never realised there was a difference. Good to have it clarified right before the exam! :D

Edit: Confirmed by examiners report 2011:
Quote from: SD Examiners Report 2011, Q13a
UAT is the process of finding out if the software meets the requirements and the expectations of the end user.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:53:22 pm by knightaz »

dida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 09:17:05 pm »
Wait guys, the actual client of the developer is still part of user acceptance testing even if he is not necessarily the end user?? or not?

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:04 pm »
Wait guys, the actual client of the developer is still part of user acceptance testing even if he is not necessarily the end user?? or not?

Acceptance testing: can be done by the person who commissioned the software solution ( to see if he got what he actually paid for/ wanted)

User acceptance testing: Done by the END user of the system, so the intended user of the system basically

Thanks for clarifying that guys :)

dida

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:22:49 pm »
Okay, Awesome, thanks. Hopefully this comes up on the exam now that we understand it, this would get a lot of students.

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:25 pm »
Another question to anyone out there!

In a DFD the "external entities of the system" can be apart of the organisation that are just simply passing information to that system right?

Because in the Janson textbook it says that external entities can only be people/organisations that are outside the organisation.

This is sort of odd, because a secretary for a company inputs information into a booking system but is also apart of the organisation, so would they be included in the DFD?

Checkmate

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • School: Overnewton College
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 09:30:38 pm »
Another question to anyone out there!

In a DFD the "external entities of the system" can be apart of the organisation that are just simply passing information to that system right?

Because in the Janson textbook it says that external entities can only be people/organisations that are outside the organisation.

This is sort of odd, because a secretary for a company inputs information into a booking system but is also apart of the organisation, so would they be included in the DFD?
I would say yes.

Only context diagram, i.e level 0 DFD requires the external entities to be external to the system since in the level 1 DFD, that contains everything of the system.
2013:
English, Maths Methods, Business Management, Physics, IT: Software Development

2014:
CompSci (BSc) @ The University of Melbourne

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 09:31:34 pm »
I would say yes.

Only context diagram, i.e level 0 DFD requires the external entities to be external to the system since in the level 1 DFD, that contains everything of the system.

Sounds good to me , cheers bud

Nephix

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 09:44:20 pm »
Another question:

Are we expected to know Data structure diagrams/IPO charts/Story boards etc