Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:18:17 am

Author Topic: VCE Psychology Question Thread!  (Read 469740 times)  Share 

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: VCE Psychology Question Thread!
« Reply #1485 on: June 06, 2019, 03:42:55 pm »
+5
Okay, I'm in year 11 doing year 12 psychology. We are currently doing our scientific poster and the school that I did unit 1&2 at, I didn't do a scientific poster. I'm not sure how exactly i should go about this, I've been given an outline of the information I need but I don't actually know how to do it. I sound really dumb for asking this but I am just unsure of what to do, I know how to write an aim, hypothesis, etc. I just don't know how to create the actual poster.
I personally just write a normal report and then simply rearrange it into a poster format after writing it. I use Microsoft publisher (you could use anything really) and divide a landscape page into three verticle columns and try to make the general formatting look appealing to the eye.

I don't write anything differently for the poster than I would a normal report. Others may do it differently, but hopefully this offers some help and direction.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #1486 on: June 06, 2019, 04:39:54 pm »
+1
Okay, I'm in year 11 doing year 12 psychology. We are currently doing our scientific poster and the school that I did unit 1&2 at, I didn't do a scientific poster. I'm not sure how exactly i should go about this, I've been given an outline of the information I need but I don't actually know how to do it. I sound really dumb for asking this but I am just unsure of what to do, I know how to write an aim, hypothesis, etc. I just don't know how to create the actual poster.

Hey, I'd recommend talking to your teacher about what format it's required in and what you're allowed/expected to do outside of class time. In some schools you need to handwrite it under specific conditions whereas at others you can complete it digitally etc. Once you have that info it will give you and us a better idea of what you should be doing :)

Julianna Garcia

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1487 on: July 02, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »
Hi team - does anyone have the PowerPoint from the Unit 3 Headstart lecture in Jan 2019? I have the PDF but would love the actual PowerPoint?
Cheers

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1488 on: July 04, 2019, 12:04:55 pm »
Hi team - does anyone have the PowerPoint from the Unit 3 Headstart lecture in Jan 2019? I have the PDF but would love the actual PowerPoint?
Cheers

You can find the og version here. The only way to download it is as a pdf, not a powerpoint though. Pretty sure if you right-click the file after downloading, you can click 'open in powerpoint' or something remotely similar if you would like it in powerpoint form. Hope this helps!
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

afnan900

• Adventurer
« Reply #1489 on: July 10, 2019, 10:01:44 am »
Hi guys,
What are some tips on how to answer questions in psych 3&4? I haven't grasped this as of yet and have struggled a lot due to it. I typically start with defining a key term (only because I'm so used to it in other subjects and I don't know how else to start).
Also, I've been using flashcards to study for psychology however I feel as if it isn't enough, & I'm not sure what to do.
Any advice would be so appreciated.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #1490 on: July 10, 2019, 09:15:55 pm »
+4
Hi guys,
What are some tips on how to answer questions in psych 3&4? I haven't grasped this as of yet and have struggled a lot due to it. I typically start with defining a key term (only because I'm so used to it in other subjects and I don't know how else to start).
Also, I've been using flashcards to study for psychology however I feel as if it isn't enough, & I'm not sure what to do.
Hi afnan900!
How you answer a question heavily depends on what type of question it is. Is it multiple-choice, short-answer, or a 10 mark question? Regardless, since you haven't specified this, I'll give you my advice for answering all types of questions.

Multiple-choice: Eliminate options, especially ones that say always or never. This is a science, remember. There is a 0.01% chance of anything being certain. Also, when you're doing practice exams in the multiple-choice section, try your best to justify why the wrong options are wrong, the correct option is correct. It will help your understanding.  :)
Short-answer: If a question is worth 3 marks, 3 distinct points must be brought up in your response. If a question is worth 5 marks, 5 distinct points must be brought up. You get the idea.

As tedious as it sounds, I mostly studied for Psych using past exam questions. You might want to have a look at past VCAA exams and see if you can complete any questions in them. Make sure you check your answers! I also tried to relate the content being taught to everyday situations.

I really, truly hope this helped you out!
- JR
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

gary123

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #1491 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:31 pm »
+7
Hi guys,
I did psych 3/4 in year 11 and I found doing lots of practice questions and marking them rigorously to the extent my expression had to be almost identical to the marking criteria to really pay off especially since my teacher was a nitpicky vcaa examiner. The more 'errors' you find as you mark, the more opportunities for you to learn and fix them - don't be lenient when you're self correcting.

When your reading a question it helps to think about what concepts are being tested. Questions are always geared towards one concept usually. Command words such as distinguish, describe, compare and identify are good starting points for constructing your response. Compare and distinguish are different in the sense you have to explain differences between two concepts for BOTH of them. e.g distinguish 2 differences operant and classical - operant is voluntary, learner is passive WHILST classical is involuntary, learner is active. You cannot just talk about operant on its own because thats not comparing.
If you're having trouble with a question with what its specifically asking for, as long as you know what concept its testing just regurgitate what you know about it and include as many buzzwords/phrases (e.g presynaptic to post synaptic) in your response.
Starting a response with a mere definition for every question should be avoided. Often you will be given a scenario and so not only will you be tested on your knowledge, but also on your ability to apply it - this is where practice comes in - to prepare you for these questions. You won't get a mark for writing out textbook definition as part of your response in application questions which is pretty much the case 9/10 questions, it's just a waste of time. When you're given a scenario always use the name of the person and always always always refer to the scenario - you want to show examiners you can apply your knowledge to the scenario given. I'm still making the same mistake this year in bio unfortunately and it costs me getting full marks every time.

Additionally, you can look at how many marks a question is worth and have a gist of how in depth you need to be. Each mark is allocated to something different so theres no point waffling on the same point and just rephrasing it in 3 different ways hoping to get 3 marks. A new buzzword or explicit statement needs to be mentioned to get each consecutive mark. With this in mind during a sac you may realise that you've already made your point and something else may be needed for that last mark which you can spend time thinking about as opposed to wasting time waffling on.
i kinda rushed this so it might not make sense. you seem like you're working hard for this subject so hopefully you get something out of this. good luck!
2018 - Psychology [50]
2019 - Chem,bio,spesh,meth,eng

afnan900

• Adventurer
« Reply #1492 on: July 11, 2019, 05:57:05 pm »
Hi afnan900!
How you answer a question heavily depends on what type of question it is. Is it multiple-choice, short-answer, or a 10 mark question? Regardless, since you haven't specified this, I'll give you my advice for answering all types of questions.

Multiple-choice: Eliminate options, especially ones that say always or never. This is a science, remember. There is a 0.01% chance of anything being certain. Also, when you're doing practice exams in the multiple-choice section, try your best to justify why the wrong options are wrong, the correct option is correct. It will help your understanding.  :)
Short-answer: If a question is worth 3 marks, 3 distinct points must be brought up in your response. If a question is worth 5 marks, 5 distinct points must be brought up. You get the idea.

As tedious as it sounds, I mostly studied for Psych using past exam questions. You might want to have a look at past VCAA exams and see if you can complete any questions in them. Make sure you check your answers! I also tried to relate the content being taught to everyday situations.

I really, truly hope this helped you out!
- JR

Thank you so much; this was very helpful! Particularly the mcq tip you gave. I did forget to mention that I was specifically struggling with short answer questions however you summed it up well. Thank you once again.

afnan900

• Adventurer
« Reply #1493 on: July 11, 2019, 06:03:32 pm »
I did psych 3/4 in year 11 and I found doing lots of practice questions and marking them rigorously to the extent my expression had to be almost identical to the marking criteria to really pay off especially since my teacher was a nitpicky vcaa examiner. The more 'errors' you find as you mark, the more opportunities for you to learn and fix them - don't be lenient when you're self correcting.

When your reading a question it helps to think about what concepts are being tested. Questions are always geared towards one concept usually. Command words such as distinguish, describe, compare and identify are good starting points for constructing your response. Compare and distinguish are different in the sense you have to explain differences between two concepts for BOTH of them. e.g distinguish 2 differences operant and classical - operant is voluntary, learner is passive WHILST classical is involuntary, learner is active. You cannot just talk about operant on its own because thats not comparing.
If you're having trouble with a question with what its specifically asking for, as long as you know what concept its testing just regurgitate what you know about it and include as many buzzwords/phrases (e.g presynaptic to post synaptic) in your response.
Starting a response with a mere definition for every question should be avoided. Often you will be given a scenario and so not only will you be tested on your knowledge, but also on your ability to apply it - this is where practice comes in - to prepare you for these questions. You won't get a mark for writing out textbook definition as part of your response in application questions which is pretty much the case 9/10 questions, it's just a waste of time. When you're given a scenario always use the name of the person and always always always refer to the scenario - you want to show examiners you can apply your knowledge to the scenario given. I'm still making the same mistake this year in bio unfortunately and it costs me getting full marks every time.

Additionally, you can look at how many marks a question is worth and have a gist of how in depth you need to be. Each mark is allocated to something different so theres no point waffling on the same point and just rephrasing it in 3 different ways hoping to get 3 marks. A new buzzword or explicit statement needs to be mentioned to get each consecutive mark. With this in mind during a sac you may realise that you've already made your point and something else may be needed for that last mark which you can spend time thinking about as opposed to wasting time waffling on.
i kinda rushed this so it might not make sense. you seem like you're working hard for this subject so hopefully you get something out of this. good luck!

Wow, this was incredibly helpful. I see that you achieved a 50 in psych last year which is so so so impressive, well done!! & thank you so much for taking the time out to provide advice, it means a lot. Can I ask though, besides practise questions, was there a specific way which you studied? Did you make summaries to help you study or?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #1494 on: July 17, 2019, 09:22:57 am »
Hey

Could someone please help me out with this question?

State two variables that can directly influence the specific effects of a depressant or stimulant drug on consciousness.

thanks in advance
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

sat0004

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #1495 on: July 17, 2019, 10:13:40 am »
What is the difference between compare and distinguish in PYSCH questions?
What does compare want me to do and what does distinguish want me to do in regards to answering the question?

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #1496 on: July 17, 2019, 06:04:38 pm »
+3
What does compare want me to do and what does distinguish want me to do in regards to answering the question?

Would not be 100% sure, but to me, distinguish would be more about discussing how two things are different while compare would be looking at both similarities and differences.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #1497 on: July 18, 2019, 05:41:33 pm »
+2
Hey

Could someone please help me out with this question?

State two variables that can directly influence the specific effects of a depressant or stimulant drug on consciousness.

thanks in advance

Okay, think about this in a practical sense and imagine someone taking a stimulant/depressant. Doing this helps me think of answers. Try brainstorming a couple of ideas if you're hardstuck on a question - this usually helps me out and I end up figuring out the answer.

If someone takes a stimulant or depressant in large amounts, then they are more likely to enter an altered state of consciousness. In this regard, the amount you take is a variable that can influence the specific effects of a stimulant/depressant on consciousness. Another variable could be something like tolerance to the stimulant/depressant. If an individual takes a stimulant such as cocaine, the more they use this drug, the more their body will tolerate this drug. This means the individual has to take a higher dosage to achieve the same effect after a certain period of time that the individual has been taking the drug often. This would then mean the individual would have to take more of the drug to reach an ASC. In this way, drug tolerance can affect consciousness. Another variable could potentially be how you take the stimulant/depressant, however this would have less of an impact than the other variables I mentioned. Other food the individual has consumed also affects the influence of a stimulant or depressant on consciousness. For example, if an individual is consuming caffeine, a stimulant, the effect this has on consciousness could depend on whether the person has eaten yet or not, what they ate and how much they ate. Another, more simpler variable could be the type of stimulant/depressant one takes.

I hope this helped!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 01:09:26 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1498 on: July 25, 2019, 08:54:35 am »

By my understanding, compare wants to write about both similarities and differences between the two concepts. However, distinguish specifically wants you to tell the difference between the two concepts. Hope this helps :)

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1499 on: July 28, 2019, 06:50:30 pm »
Hey guys!
I have a few questions:

1. Why does deep sleep decrease throughout the life span?
2. Why do older people tend to have more fragmented sleep (i.e. why do older people have more awakenings during the night?)
3. Why do older people tend to take longer to fall asleep?

-Chloe :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:08:14 pm by cfalzon »