Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:31:11 am

Author Topic: Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey  (Read 1627 times)

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey
« on: March 01, 2020, 05:01:02 pm »
+11
🌻Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey 🌻

As I sit here eating my dairy-free Magnum in an attempt to feel health-conscious I think about how I'm not keeping myself accountable with my exercise. at all. just like everything else in my life.
I eat relatively well, eating mainly plant-based but also enjoying chocolate and udon noodles a little bit too much so you know pretty average. and as you might know, I'm not a big fan of average, so I'm committing myself to 12 weeks of exercise as set out below:

Now I know it looks like a lot, and it kinda is, but I am sick of feeling like shit, looking like shit and just being really quite average in the fact I barely workout like at all. And I know I am capable, I can do it, I just need to get off my ass and J U S T    D O    I T

So here I will document my journey over these 12 weeks -

Measurements
BMI: 24.5
Body Fat Percentage:
Weight:

Other Measurements
Waist:
Hip:
Bust:
Wrist:
Forearm:
Upper Arm:
Calves:
Thigh:

I'm also throwing myself into the deep end and have enrolled for ballet classes at the local dance studio which I am terrified about like I have always always always wanted to dance ballet but like I'm so old and have NEVER done dance before
But we will see how it goes!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 08:03:29 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 08:34:53 pm »
+7
🌻Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey 🌻
Hi J_Rho!
Well done on getting this started - it's great to see someone else begin to share their fitness journey. It looks like you have a great plan set in place. Don't feel bad for skipping/postponing a day for extra rest now and then though - you never want to push yourself too hard and too fast beginning a regime. And best of luck for ballet! Keen for a later update :))
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:21:50 pm »
+5

Hi J_Rho!
Well done on getting this started - it's great to see someone else begin to share their fitness journey. It looks like you have a great plan set in place. Don't feel bad for skipping/postponing a day for extra rest now and then though - you never want to push yourself too hard and too fast beginning a regime. And best of luck for ballet! Keen for a later update :))
Thank you Poet! It means a lot - I love reading your running journal!

Day 1 and 2
I'm in a lot of pain, yay for being a chick, gotta love those cramps, and tight muscles throughout my torso especially my back which makes it difficult to find the sheer willpower to go to school, try not to cry and work let alone exercise. Hopefully, tomorrow is a bit better and I'll be able to start exercising as per my plan but for now, I'm satisfied with my 9 thousand steps and 7km of cumulative walking and some nice stretches for my back, legs and feet.

An update with ballet - I've filled out the forms and will hand them in to the dance studio tomorrow as luckily it is a few hundred meters away from SES. I'm also doing feet stretches and basic youtube videos of ballet warmups and feet positions.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:23:38 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 02:24:01 pm »
+6
🌻ॐ Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey ॐ 🌻

Well, I didn't do what I'd said I'd do. I did the first week and after that, I was only doing laps after I finished teaching. Sometime in Week 3 my work shut so things turned pretty shit and I neglected all exercise. But over the last week I've been getting back into it and am working out once a day minimum which is so good! This is what I've been doing as well as some yoga on the days where I'm a little sore or unmotivated and I'm not gonna lie and tell you I never forget to exercise, cause I do. I'm very good at forgetting to but I am getting better.

I never actually got my forms handed into the dance studio as Mum said "idk don't hand it in yet you're already heaps busy with work and you're in year 12" and then COVID-19 happened. But I'm making the most of being home and having lots of time on my hands, and formal is only like 9 months away (touch wood) so like is there any downside to exercising? I'll keep you guys updated and soon I'll have an updated 12-week plan given I'm not allowed outside  8)

Love you all! Stay strong and look after yourselves!

« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 02:48:49 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:06:27 pm »
+3
That's such a good workout - I'm tired just reading it lol. There's absolutely no problem with falling off the wagon - sounds like you're climbing back on! Can't wait to hear your progress over the next few weeks :D

I've certainly found I walk a lot more than before - I've been exploring different parts of my suburb, whereas most of my exercise used to be through soccer.

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 04:36:28 pm »
+7
🌻ॐ Better, Faster, Stronger - J_Rho's Fitness Journey ॐ 🌻

Long time no update! I've been exercising most days but there are some mornings where I'm am 'sacrificing' my morning workout for a lil extra sleep 😬

The workout I am doing is definitely one you can do every day which I definitely a sign that I need to either increase the reps or use heavier weights.

For me, this workout really gets my heart rate up while being fairly low impact (IDK why but I hate high impact) and while I am a lil sore afterwards it's like the wobbly leg feeling after a long run which is GOOD but it's even better cause I don't wake up sore in the mornings.
Workout

Anyways I have changed it a little. Instead of 'swimmers' I'm doing more pile squats, so I'm doing 20 in 1st, 20 in 2nd and 20 in 3rd and I'm enjoying it a lot more. I really want to make exercise a habit and a lifestyle, so I'm going to be pushing myself to (get out of bed and) exercise for 21 days straight and then for 90 days straight. Now, obviously, if my body needs a rest I will rest it and ill do morning yoga session instead I'm just trying to build a habit of having a set time every morning to exercise my body.

Most days I've been doing this workout in the morning (and a few times over the last week have been doing it in the arvo as well) and yoga and meditation in the evening. With remote learning, I'm sitting in front of a computer a lot more and when i stretch my back out, which i do multiple times a day, it cracks so much! Its either really loud or its like crackcrackcrackcrackcrackcrack crack its really bad even when I sit with good posture but I have started using a yoga block or foam roller in the natural curve of my back to prevent me from slouching and that's helping a bit so I'm thinking of incorporating some stretching or a quick workout into my lunch break just so I'm not sitting for 5, 6 or sometimes 13 (oop) hours a day. Because some days I know I'm going to be studying from 8/8:30am to 8 or 9pm with only breaks for recess, lunch, a half our one at 3:15 and aq break for dinner so I have to make sure I am doing what I can because there has been and will be days where I'll be effectively sitting all day.

I've also been eating mostly healthy (I bought skittles yesterday oops), I've been eating quinoa with walnuts or a green smoothie with peanut butter or hemp powder and lunches are usually pasta (not healthy hehe oops) or like cooked veg and tofu (I like making crumbled tofu with quinoa and whatever veg we have (today its sweet potato and spinach)) and dinners can range from biocheese toast to vegan sausages or burgers or toast with banana and peanut butter.  So overall, what I eat is fairly good (except dinner most nights haha) so I'm not fazed about that I just need to make sure I drink more water and less black tea  :P

tl;dr - aiming to do 21 days exercise and then 90 days exercise and make sure I'm stretching/being active during recess and lunch
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 05:21:21 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —

— University —

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 08:43:19 pm »
+3
Yeah look, I 'failed' at this so bad, like I'm not even gonna go there I'm just going to try and pick up where I left off. I well and truly fell off the one-man bandwagon that is my exercise routine but its fine and I'm just going to do my best.

Look I know many of you are probably going to think her measurements are fine because realistically im not fat and i dont say I'm fat but im a lifeguard, swim teacher, volunteer first responder and aspiring paramedic. I need to be fit and that is my ULTIMATE goal. yeah its nice to have weight and measurement goals but i just want to be more fit because it will be all round beneficial to my lifestyle. I'm fit in the water but boy you dont want to see me run if it looks half as awkward as it feels boy you want close your eyes. It's my job to be able to tread water for a few hours in clothing, to use jaws of life that weight up to 30kg, to carry 150kg men in stretchers, to swim 200m in 5 minutes, and perform CPR for any length of time. All these things I can do but my fitness is the one thing that worries me. I need to get stronger to be able to do vertical rescue and I want to be more confident in my ability to complete my lifeguard swim test

Measurements
BMI: 24.5 (Goal: 20 - 21)
Body Fat Percentage: 29.5% (Goal: 16/17%)
Weight: 64.5 kg (Goal: 52 - 55kg)
Other Measurements
Waist: 82cm (Goal: 62cm)
Hip: 94 cm (Goal: 90 cm)
Neck: 35 cm

I'll be back with an update on Sunday! Ciao
— VCE —

— University —