Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:14:20 pm

Author Topic: Generalised Textbook Summaries  (Read 20380 times)  Share 

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
Generalised Textbook Summaries
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:50:29 pm »
+23
Generalised Textbook Summaries

Due to "Which VCE ___insert maths subject___ textbook is the best?" thread appearing on AN every two weeks in the various Maths boards, here's a summary based on the general consensus to clear it up.

Maths Quest
- Explanations: Best explanations prior to exercises as it begins from a very basic level and explains concepts thoroughly and simply without too much mathematical jargon
- Questions: Questions are of a decent standard, mostly varying to easy -> VCAA standard. Very rare to see questions that are overly troublesome (some of which are actually typos).
- CAS: Books are updated with with the newest CAS OS (different versions exist for CASIO and TI-Nspire) as they are released
- eCopy: Available in *.pdf format

Essentials
- Explanations: Explanations can be confusing at times. Some don't go over basics making it tough to understand the more difficult concepts, and there is a fair bit of mathematical jargon in use too. Not ideal for the basic/average student.
- Questions: Questions are of a high standard. Many questions probe above the VCAA level giving the student a lot of depth.
- CAS: Books are updated with with the newest CAS OS (both calcs in the same book) as they are released, although releases seem to be slower than Maths Quest in this regard.

Heinemann VCE Zone
- Explanations: Explanations are fairly basic, but not as thorough as Maths Quest and Essentials. Very easy to understand though with not much mathematical jargon.
- Questions: Questions are fairly easy, with many below VCAA standard difficulty.
- CAS: Books are updated with with the newest CAS OS (both calcs in the same book) as they are released, although releases seem to be slower than Maths Quest in this regard.

Maths Dimensions
- Explanations: Explanations are very good. Very simply explained but a lot of depth is also covered. Not too much mathematical jargon.
- Questions: Questions are of a good standard. With the harder questions probing above VCAA level.
- CAS: Books are are not updated with with the newest CAS OS. New editions have not been released for some time.

James Stewart's Calculus 7th Edition (NOT a VCE text, but useful for spesh students wanting to broaden their knowledge of calculus)
- Explanations: Explanations are extremely good. One of the best calculus textbooks in the world. Appropriate level of mathematical jargon.
- Questions: Questions are of a high standard. Being a university textbook, questions are above VCAA level for the whole book.
- CAS: Minimal CAS content in terms of "CAS tips" (true mathematicians don't need a CAS :P). To get the most out of the book, keep a CAS on hand but don't expect a walk-through like in VCE texts.
- eCopy: Available in *.pdf format (although not legally all the time...)

Summary?
Depends on your level of maths:
- Advanced: Essentials all the way, only use other texts (most likely Maths Quest or Dimensions) to try out different styles of questions. For Spesh students, you may consider adding a bit of Stewart's into your study regime too (for fun)
- Average: Maths Quest, only use the other texts for more styles of questions
- Basic: Heinemann, if you're feeling comfortable, then approach the other texts

Hope that clears a lot of the problems :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:14:14 pm by pi »

TrueTears

• TT
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +667
Re: Generalised Textbook Summaries
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:06:37 pm »
+1
James Stewart's Calculus 7th Edition (NOT a VCE text, but useful for spesh students wanting to broaden their knowledge of calculus)
- CAS: Minimal CAS content. True mathematicians don't need a CAS :P
actually there is a shit ton of CAS in stewarts :P

In fact you won't be able to read much deep into stewarts without a CAS calc/mathematica etc
PhD @ MIT (Economics).

Interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and social choice theory.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:12:54 pm »
actually there is a shit ton of CAS in stewarts :P

In fact you won't be able to read much deep into stewarts without a CAS calc/mathematica etc

Haha there is heaps, but most seems to be for the calcs that are a little older than the nspire or whatever CASIO is around atm :P (so no real "tips" like the VCE books). I think that was bad wording on my part haha, sorry! Changed my wording :)

But definitely agreed that a CAS will allow you to get the must out of your book :)

Soon

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School Grad Year: 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 07:11:23 pm »
Thanks :D Very informative, saves me heaps of time (and money).
VCE 2013-2014: 99.80
2015-2017:

dreambig

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 07:36:35 pm »
Thank you so much for this! Really helped :)

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 09:54:35 pm »
No worries :)

Jenny_2108

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +28
  • School: Melbourne Girls College
  • School Grad Year: 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 04:16:21 am »
Can you please make another similar thread for generalised textbook summaries for maths in uni as well? Which book is worth to do?
2012: Bio | Chem| Spesh | Methods | ESL | Vietnamese
2013-2016: BActuarial studies/BCommerce @ ANU

Thanks to gossamer, TT, pi, laserblued, Thus for helping and supporting me during VCE

Phy124

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +464
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 05:41:29 am »
+2
Can you please make another similar thread for generalised textbook summaries for maths in uni as well? Which book is worth to do?
I think you'd need someone studying science with a maths major for that. I can think of quite a few people that would be fairly familiar with a range of university maths textbooks *cough* TT *cough*
Mathematical Methods | Physics | Chemistry | English | Business Management

2012-2017
Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Bachelor of Civil Engineering (Honours) @ Monash University

Current
Transport Modeller @ Arup

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Doctor.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:32:52 am »
Yeah uni books is much beyond me haha

indigoblue

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »
Does anyone know about whether the Haese and Harris Further Mathematics textboook is good? I noticed my school is one of the rare few that use this book.

popoy111

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 06:06:35 pm »
I am currently doing business related maths. I own both textbooks of MAths quest and essentials but i find maths quest to be way to long. Just want to know which one you think adresses business related mathematics better?
Modify message

unch4nel

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +50
  • School: Assumption College Kilmore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 04:57:24 pm »
Does anyone have the Maths Quest PDF link, if that isn't infringing copying rights? My school uses Heinemann and I feel it lacks in depth of questions. Thank you all in advance (:

alchemy

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »
Does anyone have the Maths Quest PDF link, if that isn't infringing copying rights? My school uses Heinemann and I feel it lacks in depth of questions. Thank you all in advance (:

This is, indeed, infringing copy rights... Sorry  :(

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 12:43:28 pm »
Does anyone know where a further maths 1/2 textbook can be found? there doesn't seem to be any...
Thanks  ;)

YellowTongue

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "With God all things are possible" Mt 19:26
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 08:54:35 pm »
There is no such think as Further Maths Unit 1 and 2. Try look for General Maths Standard (or whatever it's called...).
"Unless the Lord builds the house, the builders labour in vain" Psalm 127:1a