Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:04:37 am

Author Topic: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions  (Read 129653 times)

issaustin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Discovery Related Texts - Suggestions
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 03:52:08 am »
Hi Austin,

I haven't yet seen anyone use a song for AOS. The Guardian has written a list of songs about discovery but it isn't HSC-specific. It might give you some ideas though! :)
oh okay, thanks anyway

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »
+1
A few good one I can think of:

1. The Heart Of Darkness.
2. Invictus.
3. The island.
4. Atwood Essays.

You want a sophisticated ORT that really shows that you can discuss a classic in depth.
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

Shadowfox42

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »
Hey guys,

I was thinking of doing the Novel "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr as my Discovery related text and was wondering:
a) Whether it has enough discovery to be considered a viable option as a related text?
b) Due to it winning a Pulitzer Prize and becoming somewhat well known, will it be chosen by many other students around the state?

Thanks,
Bailey

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #48 on: May 31, 2017, 02:06:56 am »
Hey guys,

I was thinking of doing the Novel "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr as my Discovery related text and was wondering:
a) Whether it has enough discovery to be considered a viable option as a related text?
b) Due to it winning a Pulitzer Prize and becoming somewhat well known, will it be chosen by many other students around the state?

Thanks,
Bailey

Hey there! Unfortunately, I haven't read the text so I can't comment a whole lot on its contents. BUT, I haven't heard anyone else discuss the text on the forums or offline, and usually being a Pullitzer Prize winner won't guarantee students flock to it (even though it does make the text really cool!). So, you should be safe in that regard :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

samsclaire

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:11 pm »
hi! i have my first related text ('Moon Landing' by W. H. Auden), but i'm a little stuck on my second. i'm considering 'Your Paris' by Ted Hughes. is that one that people commonly do? do you think it suits discovery?

(the tempest is my prescribed text, if that matters)

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2017, 06:14:18 pm »
For my Discovery topic I was prescribed Frank Hurley: The Man Who Made History and I chose The Messenger as a related. I scored 10/20 for my speech.

Should I try fix it up or search for a new creative? I felt like The Messenger was a rather relatable text, maybe my execution was just bad?

Heavy Things :(

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2017, 07:06:55 pm »
hi! i have my first related text ('Moon Landing' by W. H. Auden), but i'm a little stuck on my second. i'm considering 'Your Paris' by Ted Hughes. is that one that people commonly do? do you think it suits discovery?

(the tempest is my prescribed text, if that matters)

Hey! It is definitely not a commonly chosen text, but don't let that dissuade you! Do you think it works? ;D

For my Discovery topic I was prescribed Frank Hurley: The Man Who Made History and I chose The Messenger as a related. I scored 10/20 for my speech.

Should I try fix it up or search for a new creative? I felt like The Messenger was a rather relatable text, maybe my execution was just bad?

What were the comments you received Wales? Like, can you attribute the mark losses to the ORT? :)

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2017, 09:42:27 pm »
+1
Hey! It is definitely not a commonly chosen text, but don't let that dissuade you! Do you think it works? ;D

What were the comments you received Wales? Like, can you attribute the mark losses to the ORT? :)

Untraditonal but I studied the text in Year 10 and had HappyPhysicsLand's essay to model off so I was quite confident.

As for feedback...well that's where I'm a bit upset. I had 2 comments on my script I handed in, one of which was a spelling error. It was very poor feedback so I've asked my english teacher to give me more feedback. I'll post back with that later :) Upset though, it's really made my english rank tank :( Task 1 - 19 Task 2 - 3 and overall 17. Hopefully I can bring it back.

shrezz23

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Macarthur girls high school
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2017, 08:53:00 pm »
what are your thoughts on a related text which isnt english?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2017, 08:54:15 pm »
+1
what are your thoughts on a related text which isnt english?

Welcome to the forums!! ;D very interesting question, I suppose my question would be, how will you provide evidence from the text? Will you give the translated version or? :)

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2017, 07:59:40 pm »
+1
What is probably the most sophisticated film I could do as an ORT for the Tempest??

I did an essay on The Heart Of Darkness I'm juts not feeling it but I want a challenging film ORT!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2017, 08:05:19 pm »
What is probably the most sophisticated film I could do as an ORT for the Tempest??

I did an essay on The Heart Of Darkness I'm juts not feeling it but I want a challenging film ORT!

ANY SUGGESTIONS???
My friend used 'Juno' and it worked really well for her (pretty sure she got 18/20 for Trials?) :) I feel like '100 days of Summer' or 'Little Miss Sunshine' could also work quite well!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

tay.j

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2017, 09:44:03 am »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but where could I find help for Year 11 Journey Related Texts?
Prescribed text is Macbeth...I'm just really struggling to understand what to look for in a related text...
Thanks for any help :)

Wales

• Forum Leader
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:51 am »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but where could I find help for Year 11 Journey Related Texts?
Prescribed text is Macbeth...I'm just really struggling to understand what to look for in a related text...
Thanks for any help :)

You can try ask your teacher for suggestions. Think back to a text you've studied previously.

I used Messenger for Discovery Yr 12 and I studied Messenger in Yr 10.

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2017, 06:55:42 pm »
Thanks for that I didn't even think of Juno but I'm seeing a lot of great connections ill give it a go!!
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42