Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:50:45 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568058 times)  Share 

bmarz2019

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #2130 on: May 22, 2019, 06:35:24 pm »
+2
Hey, Does anyone have any tips on memorising legal essays

Hey!

As someone who currently is doing Legal Studies for his HSC, I hate to break it to you, but memorising essays isn't the best way of preparation.

Last term, I had an unseen essay question to prepare for on anything for Crime, and the best way to prepare myself for that was to go through my content, know my legislation and know my cases.

If you wanted more information regarding 'memorising essays' you can have a look here: https://atarnotes.com/memorising-essays/

Hope this helps!
HSC 2019

Legal Studies | Modern History | Adv English | Adv Maths | History Ext | SOR II

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #2131 on: May 22, 2019, 09:03:49 pm »
+2
Hey, Does anyone have any tips on memorising legal essays

No tips to memorise from me because it's so hard to predict questions in Legal exams! My only advice is that you remember as many LCMs as possible so you have lots of evidence to back up your argument to prepare yourself for any question :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

ameliabrennan5

• Adventurer
« Reply #2132 on: May 26, 2019, 08:47:18 am »
Hi, i just got my last assessment for legal before trials - essay on world order! I was wondering how i should approach each of these questions to receive the best marks i can:

1. How effective is the legal system in regulating relationships between nation states? In your response include reference to at least one contemporary issue you have studied.

2. Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in balancing state sovereignty and the ‘responsibility to protect’.

3. Assess the effect of state sovereignty on the level of compliance and non-compliance in respect of world order.

Please help me!

bmarz2019

• Adventurer
« Reply #2133 on: May 26, 2019, 05:05:21 pm »
Hi, i just got my last assessment for legal before trials - essay on world order! I was wondering how i should approach each of these questions to receive the best marks i can:

1. How effective is the legal system in regulating relationships between nation states? In your response include reference to at least one contemporary issue you have studied.

2. Evaluate the effectiveness of the law in balancing state sovereignty and the ‘responsibility to protect’.

3. Assess the effect of state sovereignty on the level of compliance and non-compliance in respect of world order.

Please help me!

Hey!

Unfortunately, I'm not doing world order for my HSC, but I can help you with how you should go about it.

The good part for you is that your questions are all based on the 'effectiveness' of something specific; so that's your start. Go over your notes in class looking at each of these specific topics (if your teacher did that) and then decide what you feel is most important for your questions.

For some thought, remember that because it's asking for the "effectiveness", you need to use the "effectiveness" criteria (found within the syllabus) in order to come about your judgement. You need to have a position on each of your topics - that's what's could be the biggest difference between a band 5 and 6 - apart from the fact of using the key terms of each question correctly (Assess, Evaluate etc).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions/concerns!
HSC 2019

ameliabrennan5

• Adventurer
« Reply #2134 on: May 26, 2019, 09:27:50 pm »
Hey!

Unfortunately, I'm not doing world order for my HSC, but I can help you with how you should go about it.

The good part for you is that your questions are all based on the 'effectiveness' of something specific; so that's your start. Go over your notes in class looking at each of these specific topics (if your teacher did that) and then decide what you feel is most important for your questions.

For some thought, remember that because it's asking for the "effectiveness", you need to use the "effectiveness" criteria (found within the syllabus) in order to come about your judgement. You need to have a position on each of your topics - that's what's could be the biggest difference between a band 5 and 6 - apart from the fact of using the key terms of each question correctly (Assess, Evaluate etc).

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions/concerns!

Hey thanks, what sort of effectiveness criteria should i be using? And also what do you mean by taking a position - how do i get that across effectively in my essay?

bmarz2019

• Adventurer
« Reply #2135 on: May 26, 2019, 09:40:38 pm »
+2
Hey thanks, what sort of effectiveness criteria should i be using? And also what do you mean by taking a position - how do i get that across effectively in my essay?

Hey again,

So what I mean by effectiveness criteria is:
-resource efficiency
– accessibility
– enforceability
– responsiveness
– protection of individual rights
– meeting society’s needs
– application of the rule of law
– has justice been achieved?

These are all a part of the "effectiveness" criteria. You don't have to use all of them, but it's important to encompass them in your essays throughout your body paragraphs. These are what helps you with your topics and their effectiveness - in other words, these are the WHYs to the effectiveness of a particular initiative or law etc.

When I say you need a position, I mean you need a stance/point of view on the topic at heart. Do you think that it is effective or ineffective? Why/why not? This is discussed throughout your body paragraphs.

Your introduction should encompass broadly what you are discussing, as your body paragraphs look into this more in depth. Fundamentally, you also place your position in the introduction so the reader knows straight away where you sit on the topic. You will obviously need to integrate it well enough so it flows.

Hope this helps!

HSC 2019

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2136 on: May 26, 2019, 10:20:02 pm »
+3

bmarz beat me to a criteria list! In terms of taking a position, this guide would be worth a read! ;D

Gavan_Ja

• Adventurer
« Reply #2137 on: May 29, 2019, 10:01:46 am »
Hey everyone,

For my assessment in a couple of weeks I need to prepare two essay plans for the following questions:

To what extent does the law adequately protect family members in relation to birth technologies and surrogacy? 
OR
To what extent does the law adequately protect family members in relation to the changing nature of parental responsibility?

Does anyone know of a structure that would be quite diverse in topics surrounding these areas because my teacher wants a wealth of topics in these plans.

Cheers :)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2138 on: June 02, 2019, 09:19:44 am »
Hi all,

I'm trying to prepare for an essay on the dot point: Explain the role of Australia’s federal government in responding to world order.
But I'm struggling in thinking of what my paragraphs should actually be about? I was thinking of doing the signing of treaties and state sovereignty (e.g. coalition of the willing against UN advisement), but I'm not sure what else to do?

Thanks!

ameliabrennan5

• Adventurer
« Reply #2139 on: June 03, 2019, 06:26:55 pm »
Hi there,

Anyone doing world order! How would you structure your answer to this essay question. I'm really stuck on where to go!

Question: Assess the effect of state sovereignty on the level of compliance and non-compliance in respect of world order.

Thanks so much,
Amelia  :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2140 on: June 04, 2019, 12:05:25 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

For my assessment in a couple of weeks I need to prepare two essay plans for the following questions:

To what extent does the law adequately protect family members in relation to birth technologies and surrogacy? 
OR
To what extent does the law adequately protect family members in relation to the changing nature of parental responsibility?

Does anyone know of a structure that would be quite diverse in topics surrounding these areas because my teacher wants a wealth of topics in these plans.

Cheers :)

Sorry for the late reply Gavan! Hopefully this is still helpful :)

So for either of these, the way I would structure it is by response. So one paragraph on legislation (or multiple if it feels warranted), one paragraph on the actions of the courts, one paragraph on parliamentary inquiries, etc. This lets you include a wealth of specific examples and evidence.

Another way you could do it would be by case. So you pick 3-4 significant cases, and explore everything surrounding those in each paragraph - Legislation, media, the court case itself, and so on. I didn't tend to do this in Family, because case law is harder to find and so makes writing your essay tougher. It is definitely an option though! ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2141 on: June 04, 2019, 12:08:40 pm »
+1
Hi all,

I'm trying to prepare for an essay on the dot point: Explain the role of Australia’s federal government in responding to world order.
But I'm struggling in thinking of what my paragraphs should actually be about? I was thinking of doing the signing of treaties and state sovereignty (e.g. coalition of the willing against UN advisement), but I'm not sure what else to do?

Thanks!

Hey!! An interesting and specific question, don't blame you for having trouble thinking what to include! I'd go case based here, so examine the federal governments response to several key world order issues. Your idea of going broad (state sovereignty, treaties, etc) is good too but means you have to come up with other stuff too! When really, signing treaties and such is a lot of the answer ;)

So I'd pick three or four case studies, and examine how the Australian government responded in those situations. Did we cooperate nicely? Did we not? What treaties did we sign? What organisations did we get involved with? This lets you go through a number of specific examples which should give you more to discuss, still letting you put in lots of LCTMI :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2142 on: June 04, 2019, 12:12:41 pm »
+2
Hi there,

Anyone doing world order! How would you structure your answer to this essay question. I'm really stuck on where to go!

Question: Assess the effect of state sovereignty on the level of compliance and non-compliance in respect of world order.

Thanks so much,
Amelia  :)

Ergh, compliance. Hate this theme ;)

I would, as above, pick a few case studies concerning World Order (try to be more recent) and go through questions like:

- What treaties/agreements were in place?
- How did state sovereignty affect compliance with these treaties? Did any nation states ignore their obligations?
- What actions were taken to encourage compliance by other nation states? Was it effective?

Essentially, compliance with international obligations surrounding world order is totally dependent on the nation states desire to abide by them - That's the point of state sovereignty. They comply if they feel like it, nations have the right to govern themselves. So you pick a few situations and explore how nation states used their sovereignty to comply or non-comply, evaluating the effectiveness of world order measures along the way ;D

liam.berkovsky

• Adventurer
« Reply #2143 on: June 20, 2019, 07:24:11 pm »
Is there a thread to post a Legal Studies essay for marking?

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2144 on: June 20, 2019, 07:26:06 pm »
Is there a thread to post a Legal Studies essay for marking?

There certainly is! Under the HSC tab, there is a section for HSC marking and feedback where you can post your legal studies essay for marking :)
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics