Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:07:09 pm

Author Topic: Architecture at Unimelb or RMIT?  (Read 4933 times)

I_am_NickM8

• Adventurer
Architecture at Unimelb or RMIT?
« on: December 16, 2019, 12:55:17 pm »
Hi all,

I was wondering if I should study architecture at Melbourne University or RMIT University?

I met RMIT University’s Bachelor of Architectural Design requirements, which has a very competitive entry with its folio-and-interview-based entry, but I also got above the required ATAR to get into Melbourne University’s Bachelor of Design to major in architecture.

I was wondering which one would be better for me? I am having a difficult time deciding between the two as they’re both ranked highly in architecture (both being in the top 50 worldwide), though I have heard that RMIT’s course is more practical and artistic, while Unimelb’s course is more theoretical and technical.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 01:02:46 pm by I_am_NickM8 »

criminals for diminals

• Adventurer
  • Took the second napkin
Re: Architecture at Unimelb or RMIT?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 05:48:39 pm »
That is a tough one, though I think UoM does a bit better in architecture in the last world rankings.
I also got to choose between a couple of architecture schools (granted I didn't apply for RMIT). What really helped me was sitting down with my granddad and reading the descriptions of the different subjects in the courses and seeing what I felt like was best. Either way you can't really go wrong.
Another thing to note is that at RMIT, you are guaranteed entry into the masters program with the right GPA no questions asked, while at Melbourne, you need the marks + personal statement + portfolio etc.
You could also consider doing a double major in design at UoM. I've seen a few people double major in architecture and construction so check that out if you think it could be cool.
This may help a little with job prospects: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/graduate-employability-top-universities-australia-ranked-employers
I would go UoM but I'm a bit biased.
Hope these ideas helped even a little.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
Re: Architecture at Unimelb or RMIT?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 05:53:52 pm »
Besides ranking and what you have heard of the course, what do think are the pros and cons for both? Some things that you might consider:
- commute time (if one is significantly longer than the other, you might find the closer one to be more convenient)
- social atmosphere (some people care a lot about how comfortable they feel at these unis and if they’ll be able to have a good social life there)
- course structure (Melbourne has the Melbourne model and this course plan. RMIT has this course plan and a dedicated unit on portfolios.) From a quick glance, they seem to have similar subjects, so either way it looks like you’re in good hands.
- opportunity for internships/ work experience (one course may include internships or work experience within a course, which might help with employability afterwards. From first glance, neither course has a required placement or internship, but I may be proven wrong with a bit more research.)

Note: Criminals for diminals replied while I was typing, but I’ll leave this here anyway.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread