Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:27:10 am

Author Topic: Computer Science vs Software Engineering  (Read 815 times)  Share 

realzire

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Computer Science vs Software Engineering
« on: December 16, 2019, 11:27:03 am »
To put it simply I want to be a software engineer, should I complete the software engineering course at monash, or computer science? What jobs do both lead to? Which one provides the required knoweledge to enter the job market as a software engineer/developer? What are the main differences between the courses?

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: Computer Science vs Software Engineering
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 12:02:48 pm »
+1
To put it simply I want to be a software engineer, should I complete the software engineering course at monash, or computer science? What jobs do both lead to? Which one provides the required knoweledge to enter the job market as a software engineer/developer? What are the main differences between the courses?
Both will lead you to being a software engineer. Employers don’t care which one you take as both lead to basically the same career outcomes.

Software engineering however is as the name suggest focused directly on the software engineering workspace whereas computer science is much broader. So if your gunning straight for being a software engineer then probably do software engineering.

There are a few differences between the two. Firstly SENG forces you to do extra courses that CS doesn’t take. Courses such as ethics, software construction and a handful of engineering courses that relate to developing a perfect software package. These courses are skipped by someone studying CS and as such CS takes you into much deeper territory in terms of theory and what not.