Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:40:50 pm

Author Topic: STUDY SKILLS: Spaced Repetition  (Read 1386 times)

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
STUDY SKILLS: Spaced Repetition
« on: July 25, 2019, 07:46:57 am »
Hey Everyone,

I have recently come across a study technique called spaced repetition. I am just curious as to whether anyone has used this method in their studies and did it prove to be useful? Also did this technique improve grades?

Cheers,
Coolmate (btw I'm in yr 11) :)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
Re: STUDY SKILLS: Spaced Repetition
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:37 pm »
+3
Yes I used it and is very useful when your trying to memorize large chunks of a textbook or notes. I would read a paragraph then after a page I would try and recite it again, next time I would do it after 2 pages and so on. This only really applies to subjects which have a large chunk of memorization involved, such as the Humanities.

Another technique I would recommend is the Feynman Technique by Richard Feynman. By trying to explain the concepts yourself for subjects such as HSC Math, and maybe HSC Physics you actually develop a much deeper understanding of the concept.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:01:54 pm by DrDusk »

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 01:08:31 pm »
Yes I used it and is very useful when your trying to memorize large chunks of a textbook or notes. I would read a paragraph then after a page I would try and recite it again, next time I would do it after 2 pages and so on. This only really applies to subjects which have a large chunk of memorization involved, such as the Humanities.

Another technique I would recommend is the Feynman Technique by Richard Feynman. By trying to explain the concepts yourself for subjects such as HSC Math, and maybe HSC Physics you actually develop a much deeper understanding of the concept.

Hey DrDusk,

Thanks for the response and insight on the spaced repetition, would you think this would be good for bio or IPT?
Also, I researched about the Feynman Technique and think its really good and is useful and a good way to retain information

Cheers,

Coolmate :)👍
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 05:56:22 pm »
+1
would you think this would be good for bio or IPT?

Yes IPT you can definitely use the repetition technique. In fact I would recommend you use it.  Bio you can use it as well but I would assume you can't use it to learn everything in it.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 11:16:47 am »
+1
Yes IPT you can definitely use the repetition technique. In fact I would recommend you use it.  Bio you can use it as well but I would assume you can't use it to learn everything in it.

Awesome, thanks DrDusk  :)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5