Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:20:07 am

Author Topic: Twenty Tapes of Nath  (Read 7811 times)

brothanathan

Re: Twenty Tapes of Nath
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2019, 12:13:18 pm »
+5
How do you find balancing a 3/4 lote subject along with your other 1/2 subjects?

Quite comprehensive at first, noting that for 1/2 subjects you want to make your mistakes as early as possible. I faced procrastination and there have been times where I should've prioritized my time for my 3/4 although you can be concerned that you haven't put enough effort into your 1/2s. I've learned quintessential lessons from doing a LOTE subject in general and especially what I can take with me into theory-based subjects in Year 12 and pretty much anything in life.

There are three principles that are constantly being mentioned for success.

1. PRACTICE
2. ZEAL
3. DILIGENCE

This is the holy trinity of individualism and can be summarised with the word Discipline.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:44:03 pm by brothanathan »

brothanathan

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2019, 04:30:30 pm »
+2
Twenty Tapes of Nath Final Edition November 2019 Special Episodes

14/11/19

Things on the agenda today:

Morning - Afternoon:

- Yr.11 Internal English Language Exam
- Yr. 11 Internal Religion and Society Exam

I think I did quite well, over-prepared for the Eng Lang as 90% of the suggested revision (I know, how great is it to still get revision sheets) wasn't even on the exam.

Evening: Study for HHD

Time to continue the journey. Can't wait for my 3/4 exam on the 20th (sarcasm).

brothanathan

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2019, 02:03:47 pm »
+4
Special Episode 2

- Finished HHD Exam

It went okay, didn't know the local government services info.... My maternal gran (nonna materna if that's more clear) passed away half an hour into the exam.

“Requiescat in pace”

I will not let her down  :'(

It's time to look on to Bio and 3/4 LOTE. She wouldn't want me pondering on things either.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:10:15 pm by brothanathan »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 03:52:58 pm »
+3
Special Episode 2

- Finished HHD Exam

It went okay, didn't know the local government services info.... My maternal gran (nonna materna if that's more clear) passed away half an hour into the exam.

“Requiescat in pace”

I will not let her down  :'(

It's time to look on to Bio and 3/4 LOTE. She wouldn't want me pondering on things either.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you're okay!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 03:57:50 pm »
+1
//
Sending good vibes your was this week! <3

brothanathan

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 04:55:51 pm »
+3
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you're okay!

I'm better now and emotionally stable. Thank you

brothanathan

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2019, 11:18:31 am »
+5
This has been a long, arduous Year 11 journey. I know some may have enjoyed these quality updates and trust me they're not cringe worthy. I am proud that I got a scaled 38 in Chinese according to the "2019 Scaling Report with codes".

Biggest tips for Chinese SL (targeted at those who don't speak mando at home like meself) despite the new study design for 2020 onwards:

Understand conversational patterns in putonghua, understand the tongue position; velar etc. Practice until you sound natural. Don't be shy to add some humor. Time yourself early on (like seriously, doesn't matter if you haven't achieved a level you're satisfied yet, time as you go). Watch all sorts of dramas and variety TV to gain linguistic understanding of contemporary (China) Mandarin and expose yourself to convos between two fluent native speakers. Most crucially the  broad ranges of conversational modes and jargon. Replicate that certain actor's expression + add flair and adjust to situational context.

Once you've gone through what most people call, 'learning the basics of a language'. The tips I've dropped under here, will be invaluable to your VCE Chinese preparation (credit to ryanchan799):

To score high in Chinese SL, personally I think it's not enough to just know the SL and SLA vocabulary lists. They are the most basic vocabulary that you're expected to know, but only knowing those words and nothing more won't get you very far. Apart from accurately answering the question, the only way to score high in the final exam (in the writing components) is to "wow" the examiner with accurate and sophisticated vocabulary, because everyone gets the same prompts, and your mark essentially depends on how well you have responded to the topic, not only content-wise but also in terms of language.

The best way to learn vocabulary is immerse yourself into the environment of the language - watch a lot of Chinese programs, although that would have been more beneficial if you did that while you were young, so your pronounciation is more native. Some good programs include 奇葩说 (第六季newest season), 脱口秀大会(第三季newest season) or 2019主持人大赛. Another good way of improving vocabulary is to watch 电视剧, from all different categories so you get exposure to different "types" of vocabulary.

古装 - 《庆余年》《琅琊榜》《楚乔传》《三生三世十里桃花》
现代 - 《我的前半生》《欢乐颂》
抗日/谍战 - 《伪装者》《剃刀边缘》《麻雀》《胭脂》

These are some of the dramas I've watched, all very good. Particularly the 古装 shows, they use a lot of fancy/formal/literary vocabularly.

Edit:  Some shows aren't available on youtube (most are), but you can access them through 爱奇艺,乐视TV or some other platform.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 06:36:02 pm by brothanathan »