Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:22:33 am

Author Topic: Owlbird's Journey!  (Read 9159 times)

eemmaa

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +37
Re: Owlbird's Journey!
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2019, 09:55:14 am »
+7
Hey Owlbird! How's life post-VCE? What are your plans for 2020?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »
+13
Hey Owlbird! How's life post-VCE? What are your plans for 2020?

Hi eemmaa! Thanks for your post!!  ;D

I'm doing a bachelor of psychology as Monash uni this year!

It has been a long time!
I was going to post and then I have been lazy!

It feels too late to describe my feelings about my scores, so I’ll do it really briefly!
Spoiler
Methods: 37 A bit higher than I expected after feeling horrible about the exams.
English: 41 Yay! Around what I expected and I was really happy!
Physics: 41 A bit lower than I expected considering the exam seemed so easy. I lost 23 marks according to the statement of marks, which was a lot more than I thought lol.
Chemistry: 42 I was very amazed. How did I do better on chem than physics! Chem was so hard! I expected in the thirties. I lost 26.5 marks on the exam.
Japanese: 43 Yayayay! I was proud! I did better than any practice exam.
Atar: 98.2 Much higher than I expected! I was very surprised!
I feel like I’m dredging up something that’s now irrelevant by posting this so late, but I feel like I need to put the scores in my VCE journal or it seems incomplete hehe.

UNI THOUGHTS!!!

Wooo! So exciting!
I’m nervous though about making friends and meeting new people.
I’m so excited about the o week activities. I was looking through them all, and I want to go to everything, but there are some time clashes haha. I should be trying to make new friends and be social, but I don’t feel comfortable going to major activities that my friends aren’t going to. I’m normally (slightly) less nervous about doing things by myself, maybe once I’ve been to a couple of things I’ll start feeling less nervous to be social.

I had been originally thinking of doing a bachelor of science, but then the night before preferences closed I freaked out and thought ‘what am I doing with my life?!!’ and I changed to physio, but then the next day, I changed to a Bachelor of Psychology, and stayed with that. I’m excited to do psychology! Even though I didn’t study it in VCE, it’s an interesting topic, so hopefully I will enjoy it, because I do like reading articles and researching psych stuff. The main reason I changed was because I had no end goal for science and I was worried I’d graduate with no job. I feel more comfortable knowing I have something to aim for now. It’s 6 years altogether to become a psychologist.
I’m really happy with my decision of Monash uni, (I mean I haven’t studied there yet, but I do feel content with the vibe of everything so far).

I still haven’t found a part time job ahhhh. I feel un-independent and dependent, and lazy. I’ve handed in many resumes at my local shops and applied online for all the big companies. I only got one opportunity for a phone interview, but I was rejected. Another of my friends is feeling the same as me, I feel bad for her, since she’s been looking for a job much longer than I have. I’ll keep trying and applying, so hopefully before uni starts I can find somewhere.

It’s cool that we have so long for holidays! I haven’t done a large amount of the productive stuff I planned on doing these holidays yet.
I keep switching between ‘ahhh I want uni to start right now, why is it still a month away’ and ‘ahhhh my holidays are depleting and I’ve done nothing productive, uni is coming too so soon’.

Goodluck guys with starting off the year!!
 ;D ;D ;D
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2020, 09:00:33 pm »
+10
Hi!  ;D ;D ;D

I’m currently sitting at a library after my first tutoring session ahhhh!!  (or I was when I first started typing this post)

I was not planning on becoming a tutor this year, exemplified in my after-exam-chucking-out-of-every-resource-I-owned which is a bit annoying when I think about notes and stuff I no longer have heh heh.

My chemistry teacher messaged our class asking if anyone wanted to tutor one of her students, and I originally thought ‘nah I can’t’ because I had considered tutoring before, but never actually thought I was capable. However, after thinking for a whole day, I decided to message her back with a message that highlighted my uncertainty, but possible interest in tutoring. I was hesitant because I was worried that I lacked the social skills and confidence to teach someone. Also, although I got the second highest score for chem in my cohort I was/(am) worried that I wouldn’t be able to answer some questions or not be good at helping someone else understand how to answer questions. There is another student from my class who didn’t get as high score as me, who is tutoring one of this years year 12s, but he has very high people skills and confidence and teacher-ness, whereas I am socially awkward.

My chem teacher seemed to think I would be a good tutor though, and so I got really excited about being able to teach someone!! It is a great opportunity for me, and I really enjoyed chemistry last year, and felt confident in most of the course.

My current goal is becoming a psychologist, but before then I want to have built up my people skills enough that I am comfortable in talking to people one on one and can carry conversations so I can make the other person feel comfortable, so I think tutoring is a step in the right direction for me.

I think there’s a scale of charisma/people skills where everyone is at, with the top level is being comfortable and making everyone around you feel comfortable and relaxed and valued. It is my goal to get there.

I have revised so much chem recently, because I had flushed my mind of all VCE. I think I must have a bad memory, idk, I think I purposely chose to forget everything when the exam was over, and deleted it all from my brain-files, now I’m trying to fish out what I can from my brain-recycle bin, and relearn stuff.

Luckily my student aHH that sounds weird, I am tutor AHHH! sent me some stoichiometry questions that she didn’t understand, so I was able to do them at home, and felt less worried about anything unexpected popping up.
I feel like I don’t YET, have the ideal confident manner of a tutor. I don’t want to be too self critical, but I need to stop saying ‘umm’, ‘I think’ ‘random stuttering and pauses’. I think labelling yourself as ‘awkward’ and ‘bad at talking to people’, can cause you to display those characteristics more than you actually are though.

Thinking positively, I feel really happy about teaching her stoichiometry!! She said she had never understood it, but now she gets what to do!! Yay!! I feel like I achieved something!! I think I was able to explain it well enough, and convey the information clearly mostly, and I felt confident in my knowledge on the content! I feel a bit uncomfortable getting paid, because it makes me question whether I am worth receiving money for my time, and the quality of my teaching. Also, I thought it would be too much pressure, but its good because now when I am relearning chemistry, it’s not my marks on the line, it’s someone else, so it’s even more important to understand it. I think it went well though, and she seemed happy, and expecting to continue tutoring throughout the year, so I really hope so!!

Also, after we had been sitting at a table in the library for about 30mins, I realised we were sitting in the ‘quiet area’ oops, it was too late to move I think, but I felt bad for those studying around us, because they might have been disrupted from the talking.
I feel like this evaluation sounds too negative overall, because I’ve focussed on my insecurities, but it was so exciting to tutor someone!! I really hope I can make a strong positive influence on my students chemistry confidence and knowledge and marks!!!

Change of topic!
I recently started a gratitude journal that I have actually continued for 19days so far without missing any days!! It’s so fun! It’s on my phone, on an app which is why I think I have been so good at adding entries because I am addicted to my phone! hehe. Not only this, I started using an app called ‘daylio’ where you click a smileyface (either rad/good/meh/bad/awful), and click the activities you did that day! I really like it, I’m not sure what benefit it is meant to have, but I like seeing the line graph showing my mood for the past week/month/year. It had made me more mindful and conscious of how I feel and what I do each day, because it feels like there are endless holidays, so at it’s encouraging me to evaluate my days make them more meaningful, rather than let them flow away mindlessly. Also, my friend found a fitness app called ‘fiton’, where you can do workouts, and challenge others, which is an awesome idea because I thrive from competition!! I feel much more motivated to do it when I have to beat someone else! (we are both still on one workout each hehe).

Thanks for reading!!  ;D ;D ;D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2020, 10:13:44 pm »
+7
I was in a similar position to you after year 12 – starting tutoring in the summer holidays that I got my ATAR and study scores. You will get more comfortable over time and it is a great way to enhance your communication skills. 

I have revised so much chem recently, because I had flushed my mind of all VCE. I think I must have a bad memory, idk, I think I purposely chose to forget everything when the exam was over, and deleted it all from my brain-files, now I’m trying to fish out what I can from my brain-recycle bin, and relearn stuff.
At least this shows that you have commitment towards your students – definitely not something that every teacher/tutor has. 
I feel like I don’t YET, have the ideal confident manner of a tutor. I don’t want to be too self critical, but I need to stop saying ‘umm’, ‘I think’ ‘random stuttering and pauses’. I think labelling yourself as ‘awkward’ and ‘bad at talking to people’, can cause you to display those characteristics more than you actually are though.
Again, you definitely will improve with time – Anecdotally the first tutoring lesson is tough for most people. Also pausing to answer questions is not a bad thing – it shows that you are actually thinking and considering all the factors before you go for your explanation.

Also, I thought it would be too much pressure, but its good because now when I am relearning chemistry, it’s not my marks on the line, it’s someone else, so it’s even more important to understand it. I think it went well though, and she seemed happy, and expecting to continue tutoring throughout the year, so I really hope so!!
Definitely felt the same way in terms of it being so important to properly understand/explain concepts for students.

Happy to answer any questions you had :) Also I'm assuming you will be tutoring at Monash, Clayton?

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 08:56:08 am »
+4
I was in a similar position to you after year 12 – starting tutoring in the summer holidays that I got my ATAR and study scores. You will get more comfortable over time and it is a great way to enhance your communication skills. 
At least this shows that you have commitment towards your students – definitely not something that every teacher/tutor has.  Again, you definitely will improve with time – Anecdotally the first tutoring lesson is tough for most people. Also pausing to answer questions is not a bad thing – it shows that you are actually thinking and considering all the factors before you go for your explanation.
Definitely felt the same way in terms of it being so important to properly understand/explain concepts for students.

Happy to answer any questions you had :) Also I'm assuming you will be tutoring at Monash, Clayton?

Hi Sine! Thanks for your reply!

Hopefully I will become more comfortable over time! I'm excited to teach her more chemistry!

Thank you! I read some of your posts on the tutoring thread that were helpful to me!  :)

I'm tutoring at a library near my high school!