Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:27 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1231611 times)

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3720 on: June 17, 2018, 12:37:40 am »
+2

Shakespeare reveals the extent to which competing societal expectations can plague the individual’s perceptions of morality, and by extension, their ability to take decisive action. Nice concept to start. While Freud suggests that Hamlet’s explicit references to Gertrude’s “honeying and making love over the nasty sty” emanate from his Oedipus complex, it is far more compelling to reason that these loquacious meanderings are simply a result of the grand conflict with which he is placed as an individual: a humanist expected to be the bearer of divine retribution, as evidenced in his claim “O cursed spite/That ever I was born to set it right”. The negative religious connotations of “cursed” and “spite”, reveal his frustration with the extent to which medieval expectations have placed him in direct conflict with his Humanist desire for agency. I feel we are focusing too much on the character here - It is nicely analytical, but try to abstract a little. Composer should always be mentioned more than the character. While Fortinbras' desire to restore order and honour to his country would motivate him go to war over even an "egg shell", Hamlet's struggle to reconcile his belief in Christian theology – “Heaven and Earth” – and the filial honour with which he is "bound", paralyses his ability to “sweep” to revenge in this pragmatic manner. More character description, and no techniques! However, though Aristotelians construe Hamlet’s continual delays as signs of his inherent “fatal flaw”, Shakespeare’s claim that “conscience doth make cowards of us all” suggests otherwise – that his vacillations should be assumed given the external circumstances with which is beset. Better mentioning composer, but still need techniques to make this proper analysis. Additionally, Hamlet’s contradiction of his hierarchal position in his ironic statement “O, what a peasant slave am I!”, represents moral ambiguities as an indiscriminate burden over humanity at large, suggesting they are indeed not an individual fault. Not Hamlet's statement, Shakespeare's, Hamlet is the puppet. Utilising the environment of duplicity and familial discord as a catalyst for Hamlet’s struggle to reconcile opposing notions of morality, Shakespeare is able to explore the paradox of human existence.

I think your ideas are fantastic, but you are right, you are doing more of a character/story breakdown. Abstract a bit, make sure we are involving lots of techniques and how they work to portray Hamlet in a certain way, and how this resonates with the theme you are discussing. I'd also like you to link back to this theme more obviously throughout the paragraph, specifically laying out how the portrayal of Hamlet (not Hamlet himself, the portrayal by Shakespeare, that's the important bit, Hamlet is a construct) links to the theme ;D

Omg this is exactly what I was looking for, thankyou so much! :) Would be better if I wrote -

'Shakespeare uses Fortinbras as a character foil to emphasise Hamlet's struggle to...'
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:41:06 am by Lumenoria »
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #3721 on: June 17, 2018, 01:39:21 am »
Omg this is exactly what I was looking for, thankyou so much! :) Would be better if I wrote -

'Shakespeare uses Fortinbras as a character foil to emphasise Hamlet's struggle to...'

Better! What about just:

Shakespeare's use of Fortinbras as a character foil for Hamlet demonstrates how jealousy can impact on the interpersonal conflicts.

Made the last phrase up, but see how the impact goes beyond the character in my version? This way, even without the text, my idea stands alone :)

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3722 on: June 17, 2018, 04:24:53 pm »
Hey guys,

I have an essay coming up for Mod C - Judith Wright Poetry
The question is:
Representations of human experiences within particular landscapes capture significant moments for both individuals and broader society.
We have to include two poems from Judith wright and a related text and I was thinking of doing 'Brother and Sisters', 'South of my Days' and for my RT: 'Important Places'.

So my questions are:
1) what are the 'significant moments' in Brother and Sisters and South of my Days
2) how would you structure this Mod C essay?
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #3723 on: June 17, 2018, 04:31:21 pm »
+1
Hey guys,

I have an essay coming up for Mod C - Judith Wright Poetry
The question is:
Representations of human experiences within particular landscapes capture significant moments for both individuals and broader society.
We have to include two poems from Judith wright and a related text and I was thinking of doing 'Brother and Sisters', 'South of my Days' and for my RT: 'Important Places'.

So my questions are:
1) what are the 'significant moments' in Brother and Sisters and South of my Days
2) how would you structure this Mod C essay?
Hey there,
I'm not able to fully help you with the first question, but as for your second question, since Module C isn't supposed to be a comparative essay, your emphasis needs to be more on your prescribed text. There can be a slight imbalance with your analysis. You can still do integrated but I'm doing a separate analysis.
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

LaraC

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3724 on: June 20, 2018, 06:33:47 am »
Hello :)

Just wondering if someone could help me find any techniques in these quotes?

-   “But the people who went out on the streets, they got nothing. They remained poor.”
-   “They became rich and they got economic power and then changed their economic power into political power.”

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #3725 on: June 20, 2018, 01:23:43 pm »
+1

Hello :)

Just wondering if someone could help me find any techniques in these quotes?

-“But the people who went out on the streets, they got nothing. They remained poor.”
-“They became rich and they got economic power and then changed their economic power into political power.”

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Anaphora & anonymous pronoun of "they", elicits a poignant tone
Repetition of "powers", polysyndeton (constant use of "and")

HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

kauac

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +291
« Reply #3726 on: June 20, 2018, 08:19:58 pm »
Hi, is there a particular name for this quote's technique with the use of 'never', 'not' and 'unheard'? Or is it just more of a regretful tone?

“Books never written, writers that could not make it…Voices unheard.”
2018: HSC

2019: Gap Year

2020-2024: B Science / M Nutrition & Dietetics @ USYD

LaraC

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3727 on: June 21, 2018, 03:48:11 am »
@kauac: I'm not completely sure, but you might be able to use 'tautology' for the technique in that one :)

Also, can anyone help me find a technique in this (from Henry Reynolds Why Weren't We Told):
“I thought that history must hold the answer even before I began my long program of research… there must have been a larger violence, a more comprehensive terror in the past, in order to make sense of the present."

Greatly appreciated thanks! :)

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3728 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:58 am »

Also, can anyone help me find a technique in this (from Henry Reynolds Why Weren't We Told):
“I thought that history must hold the answer even before I began my long program of research… there must have been a larger violence, a more comprehensive terror in the past, in order to make sense of the present."

Here's a few that I found:
- hopeful tone
- juxtaposition of past & present, explaining the connection between using knowledge of the past to clarify present day issues
- asyndeton (in the latter half of quote) highlighting this connection

LaraC

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3729 on: June 22, 2018, 03:47:37 pm »
Awesome - thanks kauac and lumenoria for your help  :D

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3730 on: June 23, 2018, 07:16:04 pm »
Making my creative writing piece an allegory...
Would it be a good idea? Other thoughts?

dancing phalanges

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +312
« Reply #3731 on: June 23, 2018, 07:26:41 pm »
+1
Making my creative writing piece an allegory...
Would it be a good idea? Other thoughts?

Need more information to be helpful but I would say that with anything you write, subtlety is great but in the same respect, HSC markers have to read that many creatives and will getting tired quickly. So don't make them think way too hard if they will get confused looking for the hidden meaning. :)
HSC 2017 (ATAR 98.95) - English Advanced (94), English Extension 1 (48), Modern History (94), Studies of Religion 1 (48), Visual Arts (95), French Continuers (92)

Download our free discovery trial paper!

rh1A

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3732 on: June 25, 2018, 08:37:33 pm »
Hey peoples :D :D :D

Jis wondering if anyone could help me find some techniques in the below quotes, the more sophisticated the better :) :)

• "It came as a shock, even though by then i had some idea of what to expect. The brutal frankness of contemporary debate was in such contrast to the avoidance and evasion of later historical accounts"
            "in a land steeped in superstition the ghost of communism refuses to be laid to rest"
            "we have constitutions, unions, free press, parties, elections...but it's all a facade democracy"
            "i knew little about the history of Aboriginal-European relations; nothing about contact and conflict on the frontier"
            "brother spied on brother"
            "my soul hurts...i can't say anymore"
            "I knew nothing about it [Aborigines and Torres Strait Islanders] even though i had both honours and a master's degree in history"
            "people accept this, they say it doesn't matter. Nobody seems to think this is a suppression of human rights"
            "No one i knew objected to what i did. In fact many in Bucharest and Timisoara said "Why didn't you smash his head when you had the chance""?
            "tight grip on all sectors on the Romanian economy"
            "it is a book of opinions"
            "Everyone says to me, Who cares?, my answer is that it is never too late to find out the truth"
            "Nothing else is important, only the truth. We have to find out the truth"
            "i embodied the saga of conquest"

zanibalh

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3733 on: June 26, 2018, 11:14:48 am »
Hey guys,
For Mod B; we're doing speeches & I was just wondering if it's okay to have a paragraph per speech prepared just in case a specific speech is chosen.
What I mean is, if the HSC q asks to focus on one particular speech; is it okay to back it up w/ other speeches & not have more than one paragraph discussing the chosen speech?

kauac

• Forum Leader
« Reply #3734 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:23 am »
+1
Hey guys,
For Mod B; we're doing speeches & I was just wondering if it's okay to have a paragraph per speech prepared just in case a specific speech is chosen.
What I mean is, if the HSC q asks to focus on one particular speech; is it okay to back it up w/ other speeches & not have more than one paragraph discussing the chosen speech?

Hi...
I am studying the speeches as well :)
As you've already said, it definitely is a good idea to prepare a paragraph for each speech in case the exam calls on a specific one. It is also definitely okay to only have one paragraph for a speech (in fact, my teacher actually encourages this), but it would depend on how you structure your essay.

If your essay is structured somewhat like:
Intro
Speech 1
Speech 2
Conclusion

then yes, you would only need one paragraph if they called upon a specific speech.

But, if your essay is integrated like this:
Into
Idea A - speech 1, speech 2
Idea B - speech 1, speech 2
Conclusion

then you need to include the speech twice.

Also, we've seen in the past two years, when they have specifically called on a speech, they have also asked for at least 1 other of our own choosing. So the markers don't want to see how well you know just one of the speeches (that wouldn't be very critical, hey!), but how you can compare and contrast the contexts, values and ideas of each. So it's pretty safe to say that 1 paragraph/speech is adequate preparation

Hope this helps!  ;)