Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:10:12 pm

Author Topic: P plate drive test  (Read 859 times)  Share 

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
P plate drive test
« on: August 10, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »
Hey all,
I just wanted to hear about some experiences about people doing the P plate drive test (VIC).
There is a view that it can be very difficult as the examiners tend to be very, very pedantic.
How necessary is it to have a registered driving instructor? Do you feel driving lessons were instrumental in passing (if you took them)? What are some relatively easy locations to do one’s drive test?

Thank you
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

not.yet.a.nerd

• Trendsetter
  • hello!
  • Respect: +80
Re: P plate drive test
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 02:52:49 pm »
+1
I've heard that it's easier to pass when you do the test in the suburbs rather than in the inner city. I'm not 18 yet so am still on my Ls, but out of my friends who have their Ps, those who did the test from the vicroads centre in Burwood east all passed on the first go.  Unfortunately my friend who did their test in the city failed on their first go- because, you know, city traffic can be difficult. So- suburbs is best  ;D

Some of them had around 5 professional lessons (~5 hours total I think) and said they were helpful to know what the examiners are looking for. But otherwise, that it wasn't really necessary for the learning component if that makes sense. For being pedantic, I think it depends on the individual examiner- pray you get a easygoing one!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: P plate drive test
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 03:31:19 pm »
+1
I think getting a few driving lessons is a great thing to do, even if they're just teaching you the technicalities that the assessors look for like how often you need to head check or that sort of thing :) I only had 2 lessons before doing my test I think, and it was just to practice reverse parallel parking and go through some practice tests with my instructor and do routes that are commonly taken.