Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 10:55:39 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on the use of caffeine  (Read 1888 times)  Share 

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
Thoughts on the use of caffeine
« on: August 07, 2018, 07:18:56 pm »
Yea i am a caffeine addict - ialmost always consume around 3 cans of redbull/monster before an exam
it helps me churn out through the writing and i feeel it helps a lot
unfortunately, some people dont share the same enthusiasm i have about caffeine consumption before an exam. (notably my friends who look in horror as i skull a can in 15seconds)

what are your thoughts on the matter?
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: Thoughts on the use of caffeine
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 07:25:08 pm »
+2
I'm all for a cup or two of coffee a day, depending on my circumstances, and whether I feel like it on the day. (Usually I find caffeine is very handy before I have a maths-intensive class aha)

However I feel that consuming 3 redbulls/Vs/Monsters/etc is actually over the recommended limit labelled on such beverages and I would exercise caution with that, especially with the amount of caffeine one of those bad boys has. ^-^
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:54:35 pm »
+2
I don't drink coffee. I have tried it a few times but it stops me from being able to sleep.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:40 pm »
+3
I don't drink coffee because I believe it doesn't do anything to me. I have a feeling that I'm caffeine intolerant aha. I get drowsy when I drink coffee.
I also think it's a very expensive addiction so I want to avoid it as much as possible :)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 08:55:07 pm »
+1
Redbull/energy drinks .. in moderation, sure. If you're an excessive drinker, absolutely I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever. ESPECIALLY for a developing mind which is trying to study. Given such drinks have more than just caffeine...

From my point of view, I have probably 2-3 coffees a day. I can't drink it in the morning as it upsets my stomach but definitely when I'm at home, for sure.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

dermite

• Trendsetter
  • You are just like everyone else, unique.
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 09:07:33 pm »
Redbull/energy drinks .. in moderation, sure. If you're an excessive drinker, absolutely I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever. ESPECIALLY for a developing mind which is trying to study. Given such drinks have more than just caffeine...

From my point of view, I have probably 2-3 coffees a day. I can't drink it in the morning as it upsets my stomach but definitely when I'm at home, for sure.

given that my exams are fairly spread out for trials, (most of the time i have a +3day break b/w exams except for the English Papers), i dont think its all too bad.

Its not like i have an entire fridge of redbulls *cough*
HSC 2018
English Advanced  
Maths Extension 1
Physics
Chemistry
Information Processes and Technology
Goal : 93 ATAR

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 09:21:20 pm »
given that my exams are fairly spread out for trials, (most of the time i have a +3day break b/w exams except for the English Papers), i dont think its all too bad.

Its not like i have an entire fridge of redbulls *cough*

Lol, how many can you fit in one fridge? Just out of curiosity.

Caffeine is an addictive substance, which means that even if it is ineffectual in anything but giving you a small endorphin burst, you will begin to rely on it for your everyday life. If you're drinking that much to try and help yourself do better in your tests, I have to tell you the caffeine itself isn't actually doing much of anything - it's all you relying on it for the boost. Apples actually give you more energy and alertness than caffeine, fun fact.

After trials, why not try and ween yourself off of it? Drink water or juice for a change, see what happens? All that's going to happen is an ever-increasing reliance on that stuff, and ultimately, no matter how good it feels now, it can be detrimental in the end.
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:41:25 pm »
+1
Yea i am a caffeine addict - ialmost always consume around 3 cans of redbull/monster before an exam
it helps me churn out through the writing and i feeel it helps a lot
unfortunately, some people dont share the same enthusiasm i have about caffeine consumption before an exam. (notably my friends who look in horror as i skull a can in 15seconds)

what are your thoughts on the matter?
All in moderation I guess! Caffeine is great for when you're tired, :,).

If I feel really sleepy and I gotta get to work or have uni (but haven't got enough sleep), a shot of caffeine does wonders for productivity, but .... the crash is truly terrible. When it comes, it feels like you got hit by a bus.

*The best sort of caffeine is sleep  ;)*

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 09:40:45 am »
+2
Pretty sure that if you're having that much caffeine you've already hit your cap for how much good it can do and the excess will just be contributing to the negatives.  I'd be wary of the fact that caffiene can detrimentally influence more than just sleep quantity. 

That being said,  we all have unhealthy habits and excess caffeine consumption is one of the more socially accepted ones. It'd be good for you to cut back,  but if you believe you need it for your exams it can probably wait until after then before you really reduce it.