Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 07:35:46 pm

Author Topic: As a "young person", what do you really care about?  (Read 4676 times)  Share 

EEEEEEP

• New South Welsh
  • Forum Leader
  • Resource Writer
  • Respect: +543
Re: As a "young person", what do you really care about?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 10:23:58 pm »
+1
Article on the ABC.

Triple J surveyed 11,000 Australians aged 18-29. Some (IMO) interesting findings:

I've taken these stats directly off the ABC story - again, available here. There were many I didn't copy across - these were just the ones that interested me most.

I guess it's interesting comparison yourself to the figures above, and also to answer the questions in sequence.

Any interesting findings, do you think?
None of this surprises me at all. Nearly everyone in my social group jokes about sending naked selfies. The stigmas on meeting partners through dating apps has lowered, making it more popular.

There has also been an increase in social justice element courses such as "Asian studies" or "Aboriginal studies", as well as the fact that how young people today perceive generalisations on race as a bad thing. The Twitter mob or Twitter sphere's reactions to things probably reflects this.

The result that surprises me a little in this day and age is mental health. It is talked about in all aspects, university, on TV and in online media. 38% seems like such a low amount. Literally every media article involving mental illness has the statement "Lifeline..... Beyond blue" . I expected the result to be more in the level of 50%... though I expect that this result may be overshadowed by people's:
- Lack of trust in politicians
- Housing affordability
- Lowered standards of living

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:25:39 pm by EEEEEEP »

turinturambar

• Forum Obsessive
  • TÚRIN TURAMBAR DAGNIR GLAURUNGA
  • Respect: +184
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 12:46:56 am »
+2
With such surveys I always wonder how much results have been affected by the questions asked, how and in what order they've been asked, whether the sample is representative, etc.  Yes, I'm skeptical (like this video).  However, most of the numbers feel roughly right, so I guess it's no better or worse than the other surveys I hear about...

A few things that interest me:
Debt numbers exclude HELP debts, but don't include mortgages.  I know not many in the age group buy a house, but any who have are almost certainly in the top debt band.  What percentage of those with debts over 50,000 have a (theoretically) nice, safe mortgage?  I'd also like to know whether people have included informal debts like money borrowed from parents or friends, or whether it's just credit cards, personal loans, unpaid bills, etc. at a potentially high rate of interest.

The 52% cannabis users, and the other drug use rates was (I think) only of those who used drugs.  Those sample sizes were all given as 5,202, or around 60% of the total survey.  The question for those needing help with problems using drugs had 411 answers - which, if my other assumptions are right, is 8% of drug users or 5% of total survey.  If so, 92% of people not feeling they needed help is probably a good stat?

The alcohol usage question surprised me, that 65% think they have changed their usage (whether up or down) since last year.  I would have expected more to have settled into a pattern, particularly in the upper age range of the survey.  On needing help for alcohol problems, that was 767 or nearly 9% of total survey.  Not clear what percentage of those in the survey actually drank alcohol.

It seems only 8,058 answered the "age of losing virginity" question.  Suggests 10% haven't lost it - was that included in the average age?  If not, how would it skew the results if the same cohort answered the question in 10 years time?

The "negative consequences from sending a naked selfie" numbers seemed low, though it's not surprising more women had consequences than men.  However, it seems to suggest everyone answered that question - I hope all those who didn't send naked selfies said no to having negative consequences from sending them...

76% aspiring to be married was higher than I expected.  Though I suspect it also goes with 79% expecting to own a house one day - it's a distant future, aspirational goal, and may not reflect what actually happens.  I wonder what percentage would have answered yes to "Do you expect to marry your current partner?"

2 in 3 feel negative about the earth's future, but 72% feel extremely or slightly positive about their own future.  That's a really interesting difference. (I think I'm in both groups - in the medium term I expect the earth to have lots of problems, at least as far as human habitation and generally biodiversity goes, but I have no idea whether or how much it will affect me in 10 or 20 years time so I try to stay positive).  It is also good that over half of men and three-quarters of women have changed things to benefit the environment (though whether it's enough is another question).

I was interested that they represented the "88% proud to be Australian" with the flag.  I wonder how many like that flag?  Personally, I'm proud to be Australian, I'm inclined to prefer a republic, and would definitely like to change the flag (if nothing else, to be less like New Zealand's flag).

Oh, and politicians and racism?  Like most here, 7% confident in politicians feels a bit high (though plausible), and on race I think it's clear that we've improved from White Australia days, but still have a way to go.
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” – Neil Gaiman

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2018, 07:11:10 am »
+1
* 46% work full time, 19% are studying
* 42% are living with their parents
* 24% have less than $1,000 in their savings; 54% have less than $5,000
* 52% had consumed marijuana/cannabis in the last 12 months
* 72% disagreed with the statement, "I feel like a criminal when I take drugs"
* 47% of those who are LGBTQI+ haven't yet come out
* 16.9 years was the average age for losing virginity
* 1 in 4 met their partner on a dating app
* 47% of women feel unsafe when out at night; this is the case for just 10% of men
* 61% have sent a naked selfie
* 38% saw the most pressing issue affecting young people to be mental health; 27% thought housing affordability
* 85% consider racism a problem in Australia
* 7% are confident politicians are working in the best interests of young people

1)  Studying full time, also in the Access Monash program which is kind of a hybrid between working and volunteering,  and doing some work as a private tutor. 
2) I'm still living with my parent.  I had really wanted to move out this year but wasn't in the financial position to do so
3) I have a bit over a thousand from being very frugal with my spending (I usually spend less than $10 (combined) on transport and lunch costs), but I have no delusions that this money would last long if I had to pay rent.
4) while I've never used illicit drugs and won't in the future, this number doesn't surprise me
5) not particularly surprised,  if anything it could be higher
6) really interested in how they operationalised coming out. 
7) never been in a relationship,  not really interested in being in one. This number makes sense to me
8) anecdotally, using a dating app seems much more common in uni than highschool
9) for me to answer this "feeling safe" would need to be defined & I'd need more info about the circumstances.  Generally other people are more worried for me than I am worried for myself at night.
10) wouldn't have been surprised by a higher number, but this makes sense too
11) the SES breakdown for this question would be really interesting
12) only 85% ?  That's concerning
13) I think most of them would be trying to