Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 05:52:27 am

Author Topic: History Extension Question Thread!  (Read 131139 times)  Share 

papa kwan

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: History Extension Question Thread!
« Reply #405 on: October 15, 2019, 05:09:36 pm »
Hey couple of quick questions:
1) Is it better to take short quotes from historians or just paraphrase them?
2) How should we actually study for history extension? Because all I have done is past papers and memorise historian quotes but i really don't know if that's right and/or enough

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #406 on: October 15, 2019, 10:21:22 pm »
+1
Hey couple of quick questions:
1) Is it better to take short quotes from historians or just paraphrase them?
2) How should we actually study for history extension? Because all I have done is past papers and memorise historian quotes but i really don't know if that's right and/or enough

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

I think it's better to paraphrase quotes rather than quoting. This shows that you understand the historian's idea since anyone can just memorise a quote. This doesn't mean you just disregard quotes. You should probably have a few quotes memorised, but if you're trying to recall a quote in the exam and you don't remember, just paraphrase it.

As for studying for the exam, I did the same as you - past papers and memorising historian quotes. I'd also recommend making an argument table for What is History and your case study. This kinda acts like an essay plan, but it's a great way to organise all your ideas in a table. If you want an example on how to set it out, here's mine: 1 2

I will say, History Extension was the only exam I never felt fully prepared since your essays are dependant on the sources (which you won't know until the day of the exam). So keep practicing and developing your ideas!

Good luck :)
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

akschana

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #407 on: October 26, 2019, 03:49:16 pm »
Hi, I was just wondering in terms of the HSC and part 1 of the exam "What Is History" I am unsure how to structure my response as our school taught us to answer it in terms of the the context, purpose, methodology and construction of each historian (each a paragraph) but when browsing for hsc help I've seen structuring based on "is history a science or literature" or "can history ever be unbiased" and confused of whether that's what HSC markers are expecting and unsure how to do that with historians;Ranke, Gibbon, C.Hill, Bede and maybe Windshuttle/Reynolds?
Thank you!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #408 on: October 26, 2019, 11:20:14 pm »
+1
Hi, I was just wondering in terms of the HSC and part 1 of the exam "What Is History" I am unsure how to structure my response as our school taught us to answer it in terms of the the context, purpose, methodology and construction of each historian (each a paragraph) but when browsing for hsc help I've seen structuring based on "is history a science or literature" or "can history ever be unbiased" and confused of whether that's what HSC markers are expecting and unsure how to do that with historians;Ranke, Gibbon, C.Hill, Bede and maybe Windshuttle/Reynolds?
Thank you!
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

You should be structuring your essays thematically. This is to show the markers that you are directly engaging with the source (if this was Question 2, then it would be a different story). Your historians come in as examples to support your idea.

Let's take the 2018 source as an example:

Spoiler
History is a scholarly, not a political, activity, and while, as citizens, we certainly should act upon our political views, in writing history we have an absolute obligation to try to exclude them. Most historians, like most scientists, are motivated by the urge to find out. Much nonsense is talked about historians inevitably being ‘subjective’; the real point is that, being mere human beings, they are ‘fallible’*, and subject to many kinds of career and social pressures, or indeed common incompetence. Historians do disagree with each other in their interpretations, as do scientists. But history deals with human values, in a way the sciences do not, so there is more scope for differences in evaluation. Historical evidence is fragmentary, intractable**, and imperfect. Individual books and articles may clash with each other; there will always be areas where uncertainty persists, but steadily agreed knowledge emerges in the form of works of synthesis and high-quality textbooks. History, like the sciences, is a co-operative enterprise. Some historians today still seem to perceive historians (usually themselves) as great literary and media figures, as individual intellectual and moral giants giving leadership to ordinary readers. Such historians . . . tend to glory in their own subjectivity. By all means enjoy their literary flourishes, but always remember that the aims of a work of history are very different from those of a work of literature.

. . . It is fun, and it is becoming fashionable, for historians to work with novels, films, paintings, and even music. Doing this is not evidence of some superior virtue, or sensibility; in fact, most of what we know about most periods in the past will continue to come from the more conventional sources. Historians have had a habit of quoting odd lines from novels, as if these, in themselves, somehow provided some extra illumination. Worse, historians refer to characters in novels (or even films) as if they were real people. If cultural artefacts are to be used at all in serious historical writing (and I believe they should – they can be invaluable for attitudes, values, and quality of cultural life), they have to be used seriously. If one is going to refer to a novel or a film, one must provide the essential contextual information about the artefact, and its production and reception, to make the reference a genuine contribution to knowledge . . . When the temptation comes to make use of some cultural artefact the crucial questions to ask are ‘Does it tell us anything we didn’t know already?’, and, more probingly, ‘Does it tell us anything we couldn’t discover more readily from another source?’

. . . All human activities, including history, are culturally (or socially, the meanings in this instance are the same) influenced, but history is not ‘culturally constructed’ or ‘culturally determined’. Too many naïve statements have been made along the lines of ‘each age rewrites its history’. History is not a formation dance in which everybody in one period marches in one direction, and then, in the next, marches off in a different direction. What has happened in the history of historical writing is that the scope, and the sophistication, of history have steadily extended . . . In fact, no one type of history is . . . better than another: provided the fundamental, but ever-expanding methodologies are adhered to, it all depends upon which topics and questions are being addressed . . . At its very core history must be a scholarly discipline, based on thorough analysis of the evidence . . .

Here are the ideas I formed after reading the source:
- Politics play an important role in the construction of history (so I disagreed with the source)
- The democratisation of history has allowed the acceptance of unconventional forms of evidence (again, disagreed with the source)
- While history is based on analysing sources, it is important for historians to acknowledge the subjective nature of evidence as the post-modernist movement has introduced ideas in regards to linguistic turn

These points will be turned into topic sentences since I'll be discussing these ideas in my essay. The historians come in to back up my point. For example, I can talk about the increase of technology as a form of democratising history (e.g. State Library, family history). Or I can throw in Ranke to validate the source's idea on how history is essentially rigorous source analysis, but then contrast that with Hayden White, who argues that because history can be categorised into genres, the language itself can limit the historian from finding the truth.

Notice how I'm using the source to structure my ideas - that's what the HSC markers want you to do! In fact, sometimes I would quote the source in the first sentence of my paragraph to really emphasise that I'm engaging with the source. As a result, I'd recommend avoiding to structure your essay chronologically (i.e. one paragraph on Herodotus, one paragraph on Thucydides, another paragraph on Ranke etc.), but also avoiding to walk in with a prepared structure because your essays should be based on the source.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

akschana

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #409 on: October 27, 2019, 02:38:06 pm »
+1
OMG thank you so much that helps tremendously, thank you again!!

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

You should be structuring your essays thematically. This is to show the markers that you are directly engaging with the source (if this was Question 2, then it would be a different story). Your historians come in as examples to support your idea.

Let's take the 2018 source as an example:

Spoiler
History is a scholarly, not a political, activity, and while, as citizens, we certainly should act upon our political views, in writing history we have an absolute obligation to try to exclude them. Most historians, like most scientists, are motivated by the urge to find out. Much nonsense is talked about historians inevitably being ‘subjective’; the real point is that, being mere human beings, they are ‘fallible’*, and subject to many kinds of career and social pressures, or indeed common incompetence. Historians do disagree with each other in their interpretations, as do scientists. But history deals with human values, in a way the sciences do not, so there is more scope for differences in evaluation. Historical evidence is fragmentary, intractable**, and imperfect. Individual books and articles may clash with each other; there will always be areas where uncertainty persists, but steadily agreed knowledge emerges in the form of works of synthesis and high-quality textbooks. History, like the sciences, is a co-operative enterprise. Some historians today still seem to perceive historians (usually themselves) as great literary and media figures, as individual intellectual and moral giants giving leadership to ordinary readers. Such historians . . . tend to glory in their own subjectivity. By all means enjoy their literary flourishes, but always remember that the aims of a work of history are very different from those of a work of literature.

. . . It is fun, and it is becoming fashionable, for historians to work with novels, films, paintings, and even music. Doing this is not evidence of some superior virtue, or sensibility; in fact, most of what we know about most periods in the past will continue to come from the more conventional sources. Historians have had a habit of quoting odd lines from novels, as if these, in themselves, somehow provided some extra illumination. Worse, historians refer to characters in novels (or even films) as if they were real people. If cultural artefacts are to be used at all in serious historical writing (and I believe they should – they can be invaluable for attitudes, values, and quality of cultural life), they have to be used seriously. If one is going to refer to a novel or a film, one must provide the essential contextual information about the artefact, and its production and reception, to make the reference a genuine contribution to knowledge . . . When the temptation comes to make use of some cultural artefact the crucial questions to ask are ‘Does it tell us anything we didn’t know already?’, and, more probingly, ‘Does it tell us anything we couldn’t discover more readily from another source?’

. . . All human activities, including history, are culturally (or socially, the meanings in this instance are the same) influenced, but history is not ‘culturally constructed’ or ‘culturally determined’. Too many naïve statements have been made along the lines of ‘each age rewrites its history’. History is not a formation dance in which everybody in one period marches in one direction, and then, in the next, marches off in a different direction. What has happened in the history of historical writing is that the scope, and the sophistication, of history have steadily extended . . . In fact, no one type of history is . . . better than another: provided the fundamental, but ever-expanding methodologies are adhered to, it all depends upon which topics and questions are being addressed . . . At its very core history must be a scholarly discipline, based on thorough analysis of the evidence . . .

Here are the ideas I formed after reading the source:
- Politics play an important role in the construction of history (so I disagreed with the source)
- The democratisation of history has allowed the acceptance of unconventional forms of evidence (again, disagreed with the source)
- While history is based on analysing sources, it is important for historians to acknowledge the subjective nature of evidence as the post-modernist movement has introduced ideas in regards to linguistic turn

These points will be turned into topic sentences since I'll be discussing these ideas in my essay. The historians come in to back up my point. For example, I can talk about the increase of technology as a form of democratising history (e.g. State Library, family history). Or I can throw in Ranke to validate the source's idea on how history is essentially rigorous source analysis, but then contrast that with Hayden White, who argues that because history can be categorised into genres, the language itself can limit the historian from finding the truth.

Notice how I'm using the source to structure my ideas - that's what the HSC markers want you to do! In fact, sometimes I would quote the source in the first sentence of my paragraph to really emphasise that I'm engaging with the source. As a result, I'd recommend avoiding to structure your essay chronologically (i.e. one paragraph on Herodotus, one paragraph on Thucydides, another paragraph on Ranke etc.), but also avoiding to walk in with a prepared structure because your essays should be based on the source.

Hope this helps!

emitchell1013

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #410 on: November 06, 2019, 06:22:18 pm »
Hey guys, I am looking for an idea for the History project and I am thinking something to do with Croatia, possibly revisionist history. However, I don't really know anything about Croatian history and I was wondering if anyone had any topic ideas/questions relating to Croatia that I could look into?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #411 on: November 06, 2019, 08:48:28 pm »
+1
Hey guys, I am looking for an idea for the History project and I am thinking something to do with Croatia, possibly revisionist history. However, I don't really know anything about Croatian history and I was wondering if anyone had any topic ideas/questions relating to Croatia that I could look into?
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

I think the best way to approaching the History Project is to focus more on the debate rather than the history itself. Remember, the purpose of the project is to explore historiographical issues, not write a Modern/Ancient History essay!

Here are a few points you should keep in mind when developing your question:

- Is there a part in Croatian history that is very controversial? Why is it controversial? (e.g. in Russia and Japan, there's often the issue of textbook tampering/censorship in regards to WW2 and war crimes)
- Who are the key figures/viewpoints surrounding the event?
- What factors have impacted the key figure's viewpoint? (e.g. personal context)

Hope this helps!

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:27 pm »
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with starting my History Project. I have my question (although it will most likely change a little as I go), which is How does nationalistic discourse in Japan shape interpretations of the Nanjing Massacre? I have no idea how to start my introduction!!! Every singe past project I've seen starts differently, and I'm struggling with what to start with. Someone help please  :-[
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

papa kwan

• Adventurer
« Reply #413 on: February 11, 2020, 04:13:18 pm »
+3
Hey guys, I'm having trouble with starting my History Project. I have my question (although it will most likely change a little as I go), which is How does nationalistic discourse in Japan shape interpretations of the Nanjing Massacre? I have no idea how to start my introduction!!! Every singe past project I've seen starts differently, and I'm struggling with what to start with. Someone help please  :-[

Hey there,
First things first, answer the question in your topic sentence. Then I'd give a brief, one sentence summary of the key characteristics of the type of nationalism which you will talk about, and then link this nationalism to the interpretations of the Nanjing massacre (ie briefly explain how this nationalism leads to that specific interpretation), and then repeat if you have multiple types of nationalism. Then, depending on how clear you have been in the previous sentences, you can add one more sentence and go "hence x nationalism leads to y interpretation of the Nanjing massacre, whilst a nationalism leads to b interpretation". this final sentence is definitely not mandatory, and if you have been clear enough in the rest of the intro you really shouldn't need it.

pine-apple01320

• Adventurer
« Reply #414 on: March 09, 2020, 07:12:32 pm »
Hi! Does anyone have any quotes from any historian that are critiquing the annales?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #415 on: March 10, 2020, 12:26:15 am »
+2
Hi! Does anyone have any quotes from any historian that are critiquing the annales?
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums! Here are a couple of quotes I have about the Annalists:

Marc Bloch: "Long have we worked together for a wider and more human history." (a quote from Marnie Hughes-Warrington's "50 Key Thinkers on History")

Michael Harsgor: "If their results were uninspiring they nevertheless encouraged interest in a more scientific approach."

Jean-Pierre V. M. Hérubel, Anne L. Buchanan: "The Annales is a major force in this evolution. Not only is the Annales a form of historiographic phenomenon, it is also an intellectual force which has swept across the Atlantic."

Natalie Zemon Davis: "In many ways the interdisciplinary team of the Annales appears to be a sodality of French brothers."

Hope this helps!

AngeloNguyen

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #416 on: April 03, 2020, 10:05:47 am »
Any critiques on how I'm approaching my HRP question/critiques on my HRP question itself?

Assess the extent to which Cold War historiography facilitates an understanding of modern German and Russian national identities

I've always been interested in the Cold War as well as how countries involved hold themselves now - almost 30 years after. As to avoid digression into 'content' rather than concepts, I made sure to place a focus on Cold War historiography shaping these present national identities.  However, I'm still finding it quite difficult to drive my essay on historiographical concepts rather than diving into things like statistics on Germany - a nation still divided in the socioeconomic differences still present between east and west and how Germany's reunification was more so a reincorporation of the Communist East back into the Capitalist West, as well as Putin's 'megalomania' in filling the shoes of previous superpower USSR - perhaps driven by the revisionist school where US were seen as the aggressors in the CW?

Should I be using historians of the orthodox/revisionist/postrevisionist schools of CW historiography? Or should I also place some focus on the scarce historians I found who have discussed this topic of 'Cold War and national identities'?

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #417 on: April 30, 2020, 11:20:50 pm »
+2
Any critiques on how I'm approaching my HRP question/critiques on my HRP question itself?

Assess the extent to which Cold War historiography facilitates an understanding of modern German and Russian national identities

I've always been interested in the Cold War as well as how countries involved hold themselves now - almost 30 years after. As to avoid digression into 'content' rather than concepts, I made sure to place a focus on Cold War historiography shaping these present national identities.  However, I'm still finding it quite difficult to drive my essay on historiographical concepts rather than diving into things like statistics on Germany - a nation still divided in the socioeconomic differences still present between east and west and how Germany's reunification was more so a reincorporation of the Communist East back into the Capitalist West, as well as Putin's 'megalomania' in filling the shoes of previous superpower USSR - perhaps driven by the revisionist school where US were seen as the aggressors in the CW?

Should I be using historians of the orthodox/revisionist/postrevisionist schools of CW historiography? Or should I also place some focus on the scarce historians I found who have discussed this topic of 'Cold War and national identities'?
Hey there,

I'm so sorry this took so long for me to respond.

In regards to your question, I'd say to provide a variety of historians from different backgrounds just so you're able to get a variety of opinions. I'm not well-versed in Cold War history, but I'd imagine that a lot of CW historians would contrasting views, especially since a lot of historians' agendas have been shaped by the fact that they probably lived during the Cold War. And depending on how your final essay question is phrased, it could be worth comparing their different views. For example, I did a Major Work on history-based video games and I used quoted American academics, and then compared it to a Russian academic's perspective on how games such as Call of Duty can be damaging to the perception of Russians in video games and pop culture.

And it's also good to also use historians you've studied in the What is History component of the subject. For example, in my essay, I've used EH Carr's ideas to support my arguments even though Carr never analysed a history-based video game (video games probably didn't exist during his time lol).

Hope this helps!

alice343

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +125
« Reply #418 on: May 16, 2020, 03:41:36 pm »
Sooo the trial exams are a term away, and our teacher hasn't gone through how to write an essay for extension - should I be worried, because I AM!!!
2020 HSC: English Advanced, Modern History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Society and Culture, History Extension

s110820

• MOTM: April 20
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • you'll be everything to the right someone
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #419 on: May 16, 2020, 03:51:53 pm »
+1
Hi!! I can definitely help you with writing your essay!
QUT 2021 - Bachelor of Education (Primary).