Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:30:38 am

Author Topic: Physics and Chem without maths  (Read 1076 times)  Share 

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Physics and Chem without maths
« on: February 17, 2018, 03:51:44 pm »
Hi guys
I'm beginning my first year in the bachelor of science

I am doing physics 1 and physics 2: life sciences and environment but not continuing physics past first year. I am a bit worried because I am not doing any first year maths and only completed 3/4 methods at high school, not spesh. For anyone who has done these subjects, do you think I would be at a large disadvantage not doing maths? Is there a lot of calculus in these subjects and do you think I'd be able to manage doing well?

It is now also recommended to do first year maths (or apparently physics) for completing a chemistry major. Again, do you think I'd be at a disadvantage not doing maths and wanting to do a chem major? Is there a lot of maths in this major and do you think I'd be able to keep up with it?

Thank you! :)

qwdfbn1996

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: Physics and Chem without maths
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 08:47:21 pm »
+1
I did physics 2 life sciences and environment you should be totally fine. There were some derivations of formulas which the lecturers went through that involved a bit of calculus but they explicitly said that it wasn't examinable and was more for completion and those who were interested. I'm guessing the level of maths required for physics 1 would be similar and nothing really beyond methods.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Re: Physics and Chem without maths
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 09:05:03 pm »
Hi guys
I'm beginning my first year in the bachelor of science

I am doing physics 1 and physics 2: life sciences and environment but not continuing physics past first year. I am a bit worried because I am not doing any first year maths and only completed 3/4 methods at high school, not spesh. For anyone who has done these subjects, do you think I would be at a large disadvantage not doing maths? Is there a lot of calculus in these subjects and do you think I'd be able to manage doing well?

It is now also recommended to do first year maths (or apparently physics) for completing a chemistry major. Again, do you think I'd be at a disadvantage not doing maths and wanting to do a chem major? Is there a lot of maths in this major and do you think I'd be able to keep up with it?

Thank you! :)

Not sure about Chem, but if you're not planning to do Physics beyond first year you'll be totally fine with methods. The skillset you learn in Methods isn't really Methods+, it's a different kind of maths. Anything that's not covered in methods will be worked through in the classes in any case :)

I'd really recommend doing some maths in first year though, just for the personal development. In an area like Chemistry, or indeed any science really, having maths skills behind you is extremely valuable.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd