Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:25:44 pm

Author Topic: Music Question Thread  (Read 83717 times)  Share 

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: Music Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2019, 06:29:28 pm »
+1
Can someone please help me with music theory:)
I really need help with music theory in terms of identifying certain sections and instruments and textural relationships but I really don't have a support network from any teachers for help tbh.

Is there any way I could get questions marked on here?

thanks,
Kombmail.
Yeah, definitely post them here, (or in another thread) and I can try to get some feedback to you. :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #226 on: September 15, 2019, 07:55:12 pm »
Yeah, definitely post them here, (or in another thread) and I can try to get some feedback to you. :)

You've really helped me a lot with music:)
So this is the question: does this piece use Themes and Variations? https://youtu.be/qYEooPeyz5M
-KgkG-

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #227 on: September 22, 2019, 06:16:17 pm »
How would you structure an answer for this question?
How are dynamics and expressive techniques explored in this excerpt?
Jazz - you are my sunshine http://www.musicconcepts.com.au/scaffold/200604.html
-KgkG-

sunflowah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2019, 03:31:20 pm »
 :) Hello,
I often struggle to identify the structure of a piece/song from a given score attachment. Any tips on how I can breakdown the structure of a piece?

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2019, 09:41:00 pm »
+1
:) Hello,
I often struggle to identify the structure of a piece/song from a given score attachment. Any tips on how I can breakdown the structure of a piece?

Look for repeating bars/ melodic contours- that should give an indication of a chorus

If it’s rondo binary or ternary form it may seem obvious when playing the pieces? With binary it’s usually when a new Melody has begun or the key has changed, tempo- look for markings for tempo on the score, could also be a change in dynamics that leads to a new section

-KgkG-

slothologist

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2019, 07:05:16 pm »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey there my fellow musicians!

I am one of the members of the ATAR Notes Team. I wrote the Physics notes for the recent lecture series, and I work with Jake and Elyse to answer your questions and create new stuff that will help you guys succeed in the HSC!

The one subject I can have to myself is Music 1  ;) 

Music is an awesome subject because it is so different to the others. It offers a chance for creativity, for creation, and for pursuing a hobby. For marks. Score! However, don't be fooled. Music is difficult, it demands a lot from its students.

This is why I started this thread, for you guys to ask me absolutely anything you want to know about success in Music. I scored 95, and was included in Encore 2015 for musicology , so I'm definitely qualified to give you guys a hand. Plus, I was assessed on all three major areas: Performance, Musicology, and Composition, so whatever you are up to, I can help! I definitely can't play every instrument, but that is why these threads are awesome! Post a Trumpet-related question, and a Trumpet player will hopefully see it and lend a hand.  ;)

So, ask me anything! No question is too far out or too obvious, I'm happy to lend any help that I can. Music is an awesome subject, I hope this Q+A thread makes it even more awesome for you. Let's help each other do the best we can do!  ;D

for music extension, i was wondering if you knew how many people need to be the ensemble for performance. right now its just me and a guitar. Would you call that an ensemble?
Thanks

Thankunext

• Trailblazer
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2019, 07:47:37 pm »
for music extension, i was wondering if you knew how many people need to be the ensemble for performance. right now its just me and a guitar. Would you call that an ensemble?
Hey there!

An ensemble involves 2 or more people so you and a guitar would unfortunately not be considered an ensemble. However, if it was you playing the guitar and for example, a vocalist, then yes, that would be an ensemble. So essentially, there has to be you and at least one other person accompanying you (e.g. vocalist, piano, French horn, etc.) in order for it to be considered an ensemble.

Hope this helps! ;D

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2019, 12:45:31 pm »
Has anyone done the 500 word essay for a bMUs at UNSW? Any tips in writing it?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2019, 01:49:24 pm »
+3
Has anyone done the 500 word essay for a bMUs at UNSW? Any tips in writing it?
I did my essay on my involvement and leadership in Girls Brigade. You can write about anything that's not related to music. I wouldn't stress too much about the essay-it's just mainly to see how you write.

Hope this helps!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2019, 02:15:39 pm »
I did my essay on my involvement and leadership in Girls Brigade. You can write about anything that's not related to music. I wouldn't stress too much about the essay-it's just mainly to see how you write.

Hope this helps!! :)

I know this might sound annoying but do you have any sentence starter suggestions?
-KgkG-

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2019, 05:02:36 pm »
+2
I know this might sound annoying but do you have any sentence starter suggestions?

I don’t think there is a perfect way to write the mini essay. As long as you’re writing about something you’re passionate about (that you have enjoyed doing, studying or learning about aside from music) it should be good. They just want to know how you express yourself.

For reference this was mine (just taken out a bit of the personal stuff/where I live):
Spoiler
I have been involved in the Christian organisation Girls Brigade at the Church since 2012. My group (the pioneers: year 8-12) has formed some close friendships with both our leaders and the girls of the company. We have had many enjoyable times including camps, church parades, presentation nights, when we organised a leader’s engagement party and our cooking nights during the year. Part of our group went to the Christian youth convention KYCK during the Easter school holidays and were able to listen to bible talks and worship with 3000 other Christian teenagers and their leaders which was an amazing experience.

Through Girl’s Brigade, I am currently working towards becoming a young leader and my Queens Award. The Queens Award is the highest international award that can be undertaken during Girl’s Brigade and includes a personal appreciation project (I did music), Girls Brigade/church/community service, two initiative tasks and a speech. I wrote a yearly practise journal to reflect on my clarinet practise, attended two concerts and gave critical reviews and wrote a report on a composer for my music appreciation project. In March this year, I ran games and helped with craft at the Ingleburn Alive fair for one of my initiative tasks. I am looking forward to doing community service and a speech early next year.

I have also participated in leadership training camps between many different companies at the Brigade House. I was involved in the preliminary, spiritual, recreational and Girls Brigade training camps that have been run to further our knowledge and skills while making many different friends. Through these camps, I have learnt many different skills in leadership such as how to lead games, devotions and lesson plan for a term. After these camps I came back to the company and helped run games, craft, and bible studies for the younger girls. I have also helped to run company camps and end of term nights (such as a Disney disco, movie nights and detective themed camp).

I enjoy being able to spend time with the girls in my group and the younger girls of the company. Next year I am looking forward to becoming a leader of a small group of younger girls in year three, with three of my friends. I love being able to plan and run games, crafts, cooking and bible studies with the girls that are engaging and they have fun doing.

Hope this helps!!  :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:05:19 pm by katie,rinos »

sunflowah

• Adventurer
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2020, 03:27:35 pm »
Hello all,

How can changing time signatures be used effectively in a composition? Are there any time signatures that work well together? Are there any guidelines or 'rules' with changing time signatures?

Would appreciate any tips, it's my first time trying this technique out, thankyou  :)  :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #237 on: January 16, 2020, 05:17:50 pm »
+4
Hello all,

How can changing time signatures be used effectively in a composition? Are there any time signatures that work well together? Are there any guidelines or 'rules' with changing time signatures?

Would appreciate any tips, it's my first time trying this technique out, thankyou  :)  :)

Hey, sunflowah!

Fantastic question  :) Experimenting with time signatures is a great way to bring control and sophistication into your composition. It really depends on your own compositional ideas but I would think carefully about where I decide to change between time signatures and how this is supported with other things like dynamics, expressive techniques, registers etc. so that it's both noticeable but also subtle and nuanced. It might also be effective to have contrast (going from duple to triple time, or from simple to compound). Beyond that, any time signatures could work together well and there aren't really any rules you have to follow (other than to make sure that if you're having 4/4, for example, you definitely have four beats per bar and haven't accidentally missed one).

If you haven't before, listen to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring; he does a pretty amazing job at playing around with irregular rhythms and changing time signatures and might inspire something! Let me know if that helps and have fun composing!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

sunflowah

• Adventurer
« Reply #238 on: January 17, 2020, 05:13:15 pm »
+1
Helps heaps, thankyou Angelina!  :)

sunflowah

• Adventurer
« Reply #239 on: January 17, 2020, 05:55:41 pm »
Another question along similar lines ~

How can I use a modal scale successfully in a composition?
Also, how can I 'not-so-awkwardly' modulate from a major/minor scale to a mode or vice versa?

Thanks in advance  :)