Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:09:45 am

Author Topic: Ionic's High School Journey  (Read 27151 times)

brothanathan

Re: da journey high school edition
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2019, 10:05:41 pm »
+1
Aight this was a very short update. Now I'm gonna go watch some ATAR - reaction vids.

Bye
 :)

Now that's relatable :D, it's a ritual for some if not most at this time of the year!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2019, 11:16:56 am »
+2
Amazing job!  ;D ;D
I can't wait to read your journal entries next year and see your progress!

Haha, I binge watched those atar reaction videos the day before the study scores came out but I don't think I'll be doing that next year lol.

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2020, 05:00:18 pm »
+3
Great stuff here Doc! Good start to your ATAR with that Psych score. I know people who did worse than that for Psych in Year 11 and hit scores all over the 90s, so next year could bring anything for you! Just keep persevering.

I see you love your sciences (and medicine)! What do you enjoy doing most in your free time? Having a dog to play with and train must be really therapeutic.
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2020, 05:22:03 pm »
+5
Great stuff here Doc! Good start to your ATAR with that Psych score. I know people who did worse than that for Psych in Year 11 and hit scores all over the 90s, so next year could bring anything for you! Just keep persevering.
Thanks, Jimmy, hopefully, I can do something similar. Counting on Chem, Further and English to carry my ATAR  😚

I see you love your sciences (and medicine)! What do you enjoy doing most in your free time? Having a dog to play with and train must be really therapeutic.
Yes, I do like the sciences! During the younger years of high school, I really didn't like anything science-related but when studying chem and bio in year 10 something just clicked and now that's where my passion lies.
Ahh, my free time -  Well I am either taking my dog for a walk/to the dog park, swimming or playing video games.
Yea one of the many privileges of having a pet. Spending time with my dog and stuff after school helps me just relax and zone out from anything school-related so pets really do get rid of stress but at other times when he's in a hyper mood he can really add on stress lol.

Well thanks for checking in Jimmy, haven't really updated this journal for a while now but will do very soon!
 :D
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
Re: Ionic's High School Journey
« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2020, 09:09:32 am »
+12
2020 Update

Well, I've finally gotten around to making an official entry for 2020. First, of hope everyone's holidays are going good and yall are enjoying them (don't take them for granted)

Academic Goals

Academically I'm hoping that 2020 is gonna be one of my best year's and I'm ready to put everything I have into getting the grades I want. Last year I learnt the hard way that during the exam period, that I have to put even more effort, not slack of. Although I was fairly drained at that point so I have to make sure that doesn't happen this year. 

The subject's I'm doing are Methods, Chemistry, Biology, Further and saving the worst for last English.
My goals for all my subjects are to do the best I can possibly do, I'm not gonna fret over the number too much but ideally, I wanna be achieving 35+ for all my subjects. Of course in some subjects (Chem n Further  I wanna be hitting in the 40 range.)

I really do like all my subjects and I'm hoping the ATAR I achieve will reflect that as well as the effort I have put.

School Goals
* Honestly just enjoy my final year of high school. Means participating in stuff like Athletics Day and Drama Day and just not care about winning. Right now I only participate in the swimming carnival cause I always get the dub. But lifes more than just focusing on winning all the time.

Life Goals
* I wanna make sure I maintain my energy throughout the year, at the end of 2019 I was so drained and I just wanted school to be over already so I could just sleep. I think this is why academically I was garbage in term 4 and this had an impact on my psychology exam for sure. I can't afford for that to happen this year, which is why I'm gonna have to heavily input stuff like a rich diet, adequate amount physical exercise and good quality sleep in my life, otherwise, I'm not gonna function at my best level when exams come around.

*I also by the end of this year wanna have around 60 hours of driving done.

*When Year 12 finishes get a job again.

*Volunteer at school for good causes.

Well, that wraps up this entry and my goals for 2020. I'll post another update when the holidays are coming to an end on what I did over the holidays, but so far it's just been manual labour and winning Werewolf (with Bri and Erutepa)   :D

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:15:17 am by Ionic Doc »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2020, 07:51:02 am »
+4
Love your goals for the year! I hope that you find your last year of school really enjoyable as the festivities and events wind up for the last time. Good luck with your personal goals like eating healthily and academic goals; and I hope that you find helping others and volunteering very rewarding and fulfilling!

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2020, 05:59:03 pm »
+9
Welp the summer holidays are finally over. . .  :'(

I remember thinking at the start of January that I still have a month of holidays, I got plenty of time to get stuff done.
Also me: Finishing of my conclusion in homeroom  :P  (still got all my homework done though, so mission accomplished)

The holidays were pretty enjoyable though. I helped my dad and another tradie with building a deck, the weather wasn't always on our side which made the work harder but in the end, we got through it. It took roughly 3 weeks ~  to make. Now we just gotta go out and get some furniture...

Other than that I did go out with my friends to play golf (I'm getting better at the sport but it does get tedious at times)
And I also went paintballing, paintballing sucked. It hurts soo bad getting hit and it's not enjoyable,  ( i do not recommend it at all).
Although one of my friends had it worse.

And the best part of the holiday was going to Queensland  ;D ;D ;D
I went surfing at Surfers  Paradise  ;) every day. Nothing beats surfing. Then we travelled over to Brisbane. Brisbane is really quiet though, no hustle and bustle like Melbourne but still a great city. (Although I prefer Melbourne  8) )

and today . . .

First day of School. We had a Year 12 assembly around the start of the day and it was already so hot, they made us sit on the floor in a medium-sized room and the air - con could only do so much. I hate how we have like 5 assemblies in the first week but oh well. 
Then I had my bio class, which was great as usual. Followed by a free pastoral period where I was in charge of two of my buddies and helping them settle in, teaching them stuff like how to open their locks, where the classes are, how to use the school site, etc. They are fast learners and by the end, they were all set! The buddies also presented all year 12's with their badges.

Finally, last period I had English, which was also good cause I have a beast teacher. And then school over. Felt like any other day but I realised how fast the day had gone, and realised the remained of this year is gonnna flyy, so that sort of gave me more. motivation

And yeah that brings a wrap to this update. Gotta English SAC in a couple of weeks now so i'm gonna go prep for that.
Catch Yall Later.  ;)

Edit: Jezzus this is a long post wowow
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 04:25:36 pm by Ionic Doc »

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2020, 06:35:23 pm »
+3
Sounds like you had a good first day (and I totally relate to being like that in the start of Jan....I had so many ambitions for the month and now I'm sitting here having done nothing I wanted to do, except for the mandatory things...)

What are you most excited about for the year?

Can't wait to see where the year takes you!  :D

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2020, 09:27:05 pm »
+3
Sounds like you had a good first day (and I totally relate to being like that in the start of Jan....I had so many ambitions for the month and now I'm sitting here having done nothing I wanted to do, except for the mandatory things...)

Yea I know plenty of people caught in the same situation. For me personally school gets me into a more organised rhythm where I'm able to work more efficiently and get more done. Which is also when I get the extra stuff done and get ahead of the class.
I'm guessing it does the same for you too.  So DW as long as either of us aren't behind schedule.    ;)                   

What are you most excited about for the year?

Learning
- Going back to school today made me realise I actually enjoy learning stuff. Yea maybe I'm not a huge fan of the exams/SAC's but I genuinely like learning the content in all my subjects (even methods even though it can be difficult at times). I enjoyed learning the content in Psychology last year and I'm excited to learn the content in all my subjects this year (even further, I didn't know how to read a box plot if my life depended on it 😂).
I'm also excited about finally finishing 13 years of schooling and starting a new chapter in my life!

Can't wait to see where the year takes you!  :D
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing where the year takes you as well!

Have you started school yet?

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2020, 05:49:04 pm »
+5
Update on life:

I have another English SAC in less than 2 weeks.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i hate this subject so much

>:(

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2020, 06:09:33 pm »
+1
Update on life:

I have another English SAC in less than 2 weeks.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i hate this subject so much
 >:(

I. Feel. You.

What SAC is it?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 06:24:12 pm by ArtyDreams »

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2020, 06:19:36 pm »
+1

Language Analysis

Comparing between two articles just makes things even more difficult.  :'(

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2020, 11:33:15 pm »
+4
Hey Ionic Doc!

How's da journey going? :)
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:34 pm »
+8
Hey Ionic Doc!

How's da journey going? :)

Hey Im21074, thanks for asking and uh sorry for this awfully late reply I've just been so busy with life that I've completely forgotten about this journal, but I've finally gotten around to writing something!   ;D

So I finished Unit 3 for all my subjects and honestly, it's crazy how fast this year has gone, and we all know the next half will go even faster! Overall I've tried to enjoy my final school year and not just bury my self in the books. This has been great because unlike this time last year I'm not feeling burnt out and constantly tired, maintaining healthy habits like a good sleep schedule, diet and exercise have done wonders for me this year. Toughest part this year was definitely isolation, as a somewhat introverted person, I initially enjoyed staying and learning from home, but it got to the point where I actually missed going to social events and talking to people face to face. Hopefully, we don't go into lockdown again but the recent cases and everything 😳 yea.

English
So English hasn't been terrible this year. I've improved from last year for sure but still, sometimes this subject can be challenging. the toughest part of English for me is to actually sit down and write, sometimes it takes me like an hour to write just a  paragraph, during an actual SAC though the adrenaline rush helps so muchh (thank u stress response ♥️).

Grades
Creative - 80%
LA - 70% ( i choked in this during online learning but I'll take it)
Text Response - Expecting above 80%+
Oral Adjusted SAC - Expecting 80%+
Comparative - Yet to do 

Biology
I've loved biology so much this year and the content has been really interesting. As predicted my favourite part has been studying immunity. Super fascinating and I am for sure certain that I wanna study stuff like this at uni. Unfortunately, the biggest let down in Bio for me was cellular signals, even tough I grasped the content I screwed up soo hard in the way I answered questions on the SAC, but guess I'll have to make up for it on the exam.

Grades:
SAC 1 (Photosynthesis, Respiration, Enzymes): 90%
SAC 2 ( Cellular Signals): 70% fukk
SAC 3 ( Immunity): 90%

Chemistry
 I like chemistry but the content is sorta dry, I still need to refine the way in which I answer questions because it's dragging me down.  :-[
Grades
SAC 1: 95% (Redox)
SAC 2: 60 something (Equilibrium) I understood the concepts fairly easily, did the most practice questions I've ever done and still got this, I was crushed but now I'm over it, still gonna try hard for the other sacs, content also looks more interesting in Unit 4.

Further
 I like further, even though it can be tedious and the marking can be a bit weird at times. Haven't had a SAC yet for further, all my sacs will take place next term (yikes).

Grades (goals)
Data Analysis: 100%
Finance: 100%
Matrices: 100%

gotta aim high 🙃

Methods
I've enjoyed methods more this year, the annoying thing is that the textbook questions are very different from the application type questions that are present on SAC's. Methods is challenging for me personally but I guess i gotta keep on pushing through and constantly giving time to this subject.  Haven't had any SAC's yet, I did have one practise SAC which I got 54% on with no study at all.

Grades (goals)
SAC 1: 70%+
SAC 2: 70%+

Welp that's a wrap so thanks for reading, now I will be going back to watch something on Stan (netflix is trash  :P u can't change my mind!)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 11:06:55 pm »
+8
Update

Wow, it's been so long since I've last visited this journal lol. So a lot of stuff went down last year and academically I didn't perform up to my expectations. I tried my best to stay motivated and focused but at some point along the track, I just lost focus. Upon reflection I blame myself. One thing for me in high school was that I think I made the wrong type of friends, tbh none of them were like me at all. I think who you surround yourself with does have an impact on the person you'll become. "Hang around with 5 idiots and you'll become the 6th, etc." By the time I realised who I surround myself with weren't the right people it was already sorta too late.  I'm not a person who likes to get pissed every weekend, and blow money on drinks and stuff. I just don't wanna be that type of person anymore, and I think I was doing stuff like that to fit in (I know I'm stoopid). Basically this year I'm just going to be myself and work on bettering myself. I've already worked on my health a lot and I'm glad where I'm at, I want to find a job again before uni starts as well, and I want to seriously work on getting into med and finding that hunger I once had for it. 

I think going into uni I'm going to be more conscious about who I surround myself with and I'm glad I got into Melbourne Uni because I know the standard there will be way higher. I'll still keep in touch with this friendship group but I know eventually we'll drift apart, and I think i'm fine with that.

Onto my results  :-X
I ended up getting an ATAR of 82, which was a huge surprise because I honestly thought the max I would get would be something like 76. My best subject was further, but I'm surprised I only got graded an A for both GA1 and GA2 for further even though I was getting 100's throughout the year. I did decent on Biology considering I neglected it to study more for further. I somehow managed to get a straight 25 in methods, which like... thank god. Chem and English were both around 29 - 30 ss mark. I know these results are very low compared to AN's standards, and coming onto AN on the atar release day definitely did not help my mood haha. My friends hyped me up though considering one of us got higher than a 35 ATAR lmao.

So, anyways upon getting my atar I changed my preferences and put Melbourne Uni as my no.1 preference cause I knew I would have a chance with my underrepresented school/SEAS, and on 7 am on Jan 14th I woke up to an offer from them lol.  :D

I can't wait for Uni, right now I'm in the middle of enrolling and I got no clue what I'm doing but I should get there eventually. It sucks how uni is going to be online, which means it's gonna be difficult to make friends/participate in clubs and stuff but we'll see how it goes. Looking forward to seeing Melbourne uni campus, I've never been there as well so there's that. 

anyways guess that a wrap to this journal. cheers guyss, stay safe!  ;)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 07:10:11 pm by Ionic Doc »