Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:17:26 pm

Author Topic: Katie's clarinet corner!!  (Read 13520 times)

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Katie's clarinet corner!!
« on: December 11, 2017, 08:39:33 pm »
+12
Hey guys,
I really love the idea of this board and think I will sporadically upload some of the pieces I'm working on. I've played the clarinet since year 3 and am probably doing grade 7 at the end of the year so i'll upload some of my recent-ish HSC pieces. I also play beginner piano and saxophone so I might upload some of that once I get practising more (they don't sound amazing at the moment!)

The first piece is called Duo Concertante by Milhaud and is here! This is the recording that I did for the UNSW audition video. I stuffed up a few bits and the piece sounds heaps cooler with piano but it still sounds ok. :)

Second- Brahms 2nd clarinet Sonata 1st Movement here!. This piece is so beautiful and is also one of my HSC ones.

Hope you enjoy!  :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 08:52:07 pm by katie,rinos »
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Katie's clarinet corner!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 09:00:50 pm »
Hey guys,
I really love the idea of this board and think I will sporadically upload some of the pieces I'm working on. I've played the clarinet since year 3 and am probably doing grade 7 at the end of the year
Wait are you starting or do you already have an upcoming exam?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »
Wait are you starting or do you already have an upcoming exam?
My clarinet teacher wants me to do grade 7 half way through next year. So i'm doing two of my HSC pieces (the two I've uploaded) and getting more pieces now (really not looking forward to all the scales). :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:11:46 pm »
+1
My clarinet teacher wants me to do grade 7 half way through next year. So i'm doing two of my HSC pieces (the two I've uploaded) and getting more pieces now (really not looking forward to all the scales). :)
Oh cool! It's pretty convenient when pieces double up. 7th grade should be just fine for you :)

(Ew scales. That's the one thing that I'm really keen about with CMus)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:40:02 pm »
+1
Woahh!! Just watched your videos and they were AMAZING!! Must be sooo cool knowing how to play an instrument. How often did you practice per day/week? What got you into doing clarinet in the first place?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:59:32 pm »
+3
Woahh!! Just watched your videos and they were AMAZING!! Must be sooo cool knowing how to play an instrument. How often did you practice per day/week? What got you into doing clarinet in the first place?
Thanks Bea!!  ;D

For HSC I think I was playing for at least 4-5 days a week depending on all my schoolwork for my other subjects, and each time I practised was around 40minutes to an hour.
I started playing in my primary school band in year three with some of my other friends, and the clarinet was the only instrument I could make a sound out of. Definitely didn't think I'd still be playing it now 10 years later!

Sconey

• Trendsetter
  • 'Any fool can know. The point is to understand.'
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:08:52 pm »
+3
Cool! I'm doing my Grade 5 Trumpet (the better of the Bb instruments....jk) exam sometime next year. Did you do all the Grades sequentially, or did you skip some?

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:50 pm »
+2
Cool! I'm doing my Grade 5 Trumpet (the better of the Bb instruments....jk) exam sometime next year. Did you do all the Grades sequentially, or did you skip some?
YES!! Another Bb instrumentalist on the forum!! (even though it's not a clarinet)  ;D
Yeah but I started on grade 4 in 2015, then did grades 5 & 6 in 2016, took a year off for HSC and am doing grade 7 next year :).
Good luck for your exam next year (probably really early)!!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 09:26:10 pm »
+8
Pirates of the Caribbean
(starts at around 50sec)
This was a video of my youth band playing a medley of the Pirates of the Caribbean at our concert towards the end of last year.
Ended up being one of our favourite pieces!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2017, 01:34:33 pm »
+2
Outstanding Katie! You're so talented!! (This is not news to me, by the way ;) )
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 07:39:42 pm »
+8
I want to try to update this thread more regularly (please remind me!!)! I'm currently working on three pieces for my performance exam at the end of the semester (which is a 15-20 minute program).

Brahms 2nd Sonata 2nd Movement :D
I had to play this piece (and talk about its history/analysis) for my performance workshop last week. I'm also playing it for my exam at the end of sem. I found a piano accompaniment recording so this is actually with the piano in the background. I actually played the 1st movement of this sonata for my HSC, and it's also in the 1st post. This still has some mistakes, but its starting to come together pretty well.

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »
+5
I went to a shop in the city on Thursday morning to test out new clarinets and I've put a wooden professional clarinet on hold/lay-by!! I'm buying the Buffet RC Prestige clarinet. I'm really excited because it sounded nice and was louder then the one that I have now. It also has an E key on the left side which mine doesn't have now.

It was really expensive but it should be able to last my whole life. I'm probably going to go in to pick it up on Saturday. I'll update this thread with photos once I get it.   ;D

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 06:32:31 pm »
+7
I picked up the new clarinet today which was incredibly exciting!! It also came with a cleaning swab, pencil, and cork grease. I also brought a pack of reeds and a new ligature. At the moment (for the first 2-4 weeks) I can only play it for 30 minutes at a time because the wood needs to get used to being played. It looks and sounds really good!!  ;D

Here are some pictures (although they don't show the wood very well):
Spoiler

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2020, 06:05:49 pm »
+5
I had to record a performance assessment today! I hate watching/listening to myself recorded. It definitely isn't perfect but I thought I'd share it here (I haven't shared anything in ages and I wanted to make sure the link worked!!) :)

https://cloudstor.aarnet.edu.au/plus/s/LqBKzQmM4NtBflA 

TigerMum

• Trendsetter
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:49 pm »
+1
Wow, that's so awesome!  ;D I had never heard the Saint-Saëns clarinet sonata before, I just went and listened to the whole thing after hearing this. Great job!