Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:48:08 am

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1237224 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #1680 on: March 28, 2017, 03:12:00 pm »
+1
Hi! Just wondering if you could help me with finding a technique in this quote: “Her father would have thrown him out”. I'm using Tim Winton's 'Distant Lands' as my additional for discovery and the question is about how the text enriches the audience's understanding about discovery being confronting and provocative. I want to use this quote to show that she's aware of her father's prejudice but is now reassessing the views that she's been surrounded by in her environment. Do you think that this would work? Thank you  :)

Hmm - The only thing I can spot is that the father is kept nameless, choosing to identify the character as "her father" could definitely be significant. Not sure what technique is there though... Hopefully someone else could tag in :)

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1681 on: March 28, 2017, 05:54:10 pm »
Thanks Jamon! :)

Hmm - The only thing I can spot is that the father is kept nameless, choosing to identify the character as "her father" could definitely be significant. Not sure what technique is there though... Hopefully someone else could tag in :)
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

Kekemato_BAP

• Forum Regular
  • Keep calm and study more
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1682 on: March 28, 2017, 07:11:58 pm »
Hi, where can I get a copy of Tim Winton's Distant Lands?
Hello

chelseam

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #1683 on: March 28, 2017, 07:16:12 pm »
+3
It's part of his anthology 'Minimum of Two'!
HSC 2017: Chemistry / English Advanced / English Extension 1 / Legal Studies (5th in NSW) / Math Extension 1 / Math Extension 2

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #1684 on: March 28, 2017, 10:39:19 pm »
Help! I have an advanced english exam on Friday which involves an in-class essay, and I am so unprepared - I have not even written a practice essay! I have a two day excursion (Wednesday to Thursday), so I do not know how much time I will have to study.

Would you be able to provide any advice and/or tips on how to tackle this monumental task and alleviate the accompanying stress? I have never actually prepared for an in-class English essay before (I was a slacker student prior to year 12), so please just hit me with all the methods/advice from your arsenal.

I am not sure whether this will help, but my prescribed text for Module C (my current one) is 'King Henry IV Part 1)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1685 on: March 28, 2017, 10:55:14 pm »
+1
Help! I have an advanced english exam on Friday which involves an in-class essay, and I am so unprepared - I have not even written a practice essay! I have a two day excursion (Wednesday to Thursday), so I do not know how much time I will have to study.

Would you be able to provide any advice and/or tips on how to tackle this monumental task and alleviate the accompanying stress? I have never actually prepared for an in-class English essay before (I was a slacker student prior to year 12), so please just hit me with all the methods/advice from your arsenal.

I am not sure whether this will help, but my prescribed text for Module C (my current one) is 'King Henry IV Part 1)

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Hey! Definitely don't panic! You'd be surprised how much you can get done in even what seems like a small amount of time! ;D

Make sure you understand what a Module C essay looks like as a start. Then, make sure you've remembered quotes from your texts to use in the essay - As many as you can comfortably memorise properly in that time. Try dot pointing paragraphs/ideas to see how those quotes could fit into a larger essay.

You might also want to check out this guide on studying for English!

Above all - Just stay confident. You need to go into that exam feeling your best, because then you'll give it your best - Don't give up before you've even put pen to paper! :) good luck!

miss_demeanour

• Adventurer
« Reply #1686 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:38 am »
Hey! Definitely don't panic! You'd be surprised how much you can get done in even what seems like a small amount of time! ;D

Make sure you understand what a Module C essay looks like as a start. Then, make sure you've remembered quotes from your texts to use in the essay - As many as you can comfortably memorise properly in that time. Try dot pointing paragraphs/ideas to see how those quotes could fit into a larger essay.

You might also want to check out this guide on studying for English!

Above all - Just stay confident. You need to go into that exam feeling your best, because then you'll give it your best - Don't give up before you've even put pen to paper! :) good luck!

Thank you! I will make sure to check out the links.  :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #1687 on: March 29, 2017, 02:53:59 am »

It's part of his anthology 'Minimum of Two'!

You can get this on iBooks for cheaper than a paperback brand new - but most local libraries would have Tim Winton's work because he's one of our most famed authors - it's just a matter of whether or not they have this anthology. Definitely worth seeing if your school library has it. If not, but you like Tim Winton, Neighbours is a short story in Scission (anthology), and it's wonderful for discovery too.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Arisa_90

• Trailblazer
« Reply #1688 on: April 01, 2017, 12:20:50 pm »
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help with this question because I feel like I'm simply babbling on about nothing

Spoiler
Consider also the extent to which responses to each text can be shaped by different cultural contexts over time.

A favourable appearance is evidently associated with success in a first world country. Whereas, in a third world country having a favourable appearance is not prioritised. People living in a first world country are typically materialistic due to their wide access to a range of utilities and facilities. As a person living in a first world country I am able to see the prevalence of vanity in the pursue of a perfect appearance by using cosmetic surgery and procedures. However, to a person living in a third world country the value of cosmetic surgery is foreign and not considered to be of great importance when compared to value people living in a first world country have. This is evidently attributed to the fact people in a third world country value survival over unnecessary and costly luxuries such as cosmetic surgery.
Spoiler

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1689 on: April 01, 2017, 02:47:26 pm »
Hello,
I was hoping to get some help with this question because I feel like I'm simply babbling on about nothing

I think the ideas you are expressing are great! But I think (without seeing the context of the question) that you need to approach it more analytically. Look at some of the ideas portrayed in the texts you are studying (including the techniques used to portray them), and look at how they are received by the audience. Would we respond to Shakespeare today the same way an Elizabethan audience would? How are our current values reflected in more contemporary texts? How does a similar idea explored by two different composers from different contexts differ, and why does it differ? That's what I think you need to be doing, and it needs to be approached with more specific reference to your texts, in my opinion ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #1690 on: April 01, 2017, 10:05:45 pm »
Hi I was wondering if i could have some clarification regarding the difference between textual and language features of a documentary.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 01:13:28 am by anotherworld2b »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1691 on: April 02, 2017, 12:37:32 am »
Hi I was wondering if i could have some clarification regarding the difference between textual and language features of a documentary.

Hey! To my understanding, textual features are compositional choices made by the director of the documentary to do with things like camera angles, mise en scene, sound, etc. Language features are just the features of language you are used to analysing in novels/speeches, as they appear in dialogue/narration/interviews within the documentary ;D

Feel free to pop that response into the essay marking thread if you'd like feedback on it ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1692 on: April 02, 2017, 01:01:44 pm »
I see thank you jamonwindeyer.
I also wanted to quickly ask what would textual features of a autobiography be?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #1693 on: April 02, 2017, 01:30:20 pm »
I see thank you jamonwindeyer.
I also wanted to quickly ask what would textual features of a autobiography be?

You'd get first person narration (by definition) - Beyond that it depends on the style! Autobiographies might not be out to use lots of techniques, but there'd almost definitely be imagery at a bare minimum ;D

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #1694 on: April 03, 2017, 08:59:23 am »
Can I please have some help with this question? 'consider the extent to which responses to each text can be shaped by different cultural contexts over time'. I'm not sure what it means by cultural contexts over time. I wrote for one of my responses that attitudes and values would be different for people living in a 1st world country when compared to a 3rd world country. Would that be answering the question?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:03:19 am by anotherworld2b »