Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 05:33:12 pm

Author Topic: advice on getting into Medicine at Monash  (Read 3090 times)  Share 

Vanshikav03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
advice on getting into Medicine at Monash
« on: January 20, 2020, 12:09:52 am »
I am an aspiring year 12 student wanting to get into Medicine at Monash. While I know that the chances of actually getting in are slim, I'm looking for any helpful advice I can use to achieve a good ATAR and UCAT score. I have read on multiple blogs that it is essential to get an ATAR of 95> and a UCAT in the '90s to stand a decent chance of getting in. Is this true? If so, how and when should I start preparing for the UCAT? And also, what are some good habits that I can implement to achieve a high score?

I go to a local high school and the likelihood of anyone achieving an atar of over 90 is extremely low. In fact last year, only 2 people out of the entire cohort received ATARs in the low 90s while most of the cohort received an ATAR of 50 or below. Last year while my grades weren't terrible, they also weren't at the standard of a 90+ ATAR student. My averages in English, Psychology, and Biology were approximately all A's, however, I really struggled in methods during semester 1. For Chemistry, I had trouble consistently maintaining good grades so my average in this subject would have been a C+ to a B. I know that these grades aren't great at all for someone who wants to get into medicine so should I give up and choose a more realistic career path? While I'm willing to work hard this year I also want to be realistic with myself.

Also, I want to know if it is worthwhile to apply to other Universities interstate or seek out the option of studying medicine in a graduate position.
Biology | Chemistry | psychology | English | Methods |
industry & enterprise 2019

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +118
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Re: advice on getting into Medicine at Monash
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 02:52:49 am »
+7
It has been a few years since the last time I looked at the thresholds for entry into undergrad medicine; others can probably rattle off which universities have the most favourable admission requirements -- and yes, they do differ by university -- as well as the best UCAT resources.

It is fair to say though that entry into medicine is extremely competitive, and that you need both a great ATAR and UCAT result to be successful. For instance, I know several people with an ATAR of 97+ who didn't get into Monash med because their UCAT results weren't great, but rather 'only' very good. This means that most people do prepare for the UCAT, usually starting as early as early in Year 12 (and in some cases, even earlier).

Getting a high ATAR score is a function of a lot of things, and obviously there's no single answer (most helpful advice is probably subject-specific!). Having said that, two things I have found helpful:

(1) Use the resources that are available to you. You can cast a really wide net. You have your teachers, your peers, Internet videos, this forum, other textbooks, and so forth. If you don't understand something, the worst thing you can do is completely give up on it. (You might be able to use them right now to clear up some of your difficulties in methods, or get a head start on English.)

(2) VCE subjects are based on a finite subject design, and usually have a finite pool of questions (or types of questions) that they can draw on. For instance, in English, text response essay questions usually touch on one of a few themes. In Methods, there are only so many concepts you need to know, and different ways to ask fairly similar things. This means that once you understand the content (e.g. the text you are studying, or the topic in maths) and have prepared for the types of questions they are likely to ask you about it, you are usually set to answer what they'll throw at you in the SAC/exam! Having trouble with understanding something, answering a particular question, or finding questions to answer? See (1).

I am a firm believer in keeping doors open at every step along the way at this stage of your life. You sound quite motivated and also mature in wanting to be realistic with your expectations. The only downside I can see to going for it is that you will have to balance UCAT preparation with your VCE studies (and others will probably have more specific tips on this, again). But an upside is that you will very likely push yourself towards getting a higher ATAR, meaning you will have other options open to you, and many of them may have the potential for graduate medicine entry.

With regards to those other options, it is very worthwhile to research them, especially with regards to how they lead to medicine, what other career options are available, and your interest in that degree. Graduate entry into medicine is also very competitive, although far from impossible (and in many ways, university is quite different to high school, and serves as an equalisier and a fresh start). And as I said before, it is really important at every stage along the way to consider other options, as well as your personal interest! There is no point going to university if you are going to hate your studies.

Hope this is helpful - it's pretty late and even my best editing might mean this is an incomprehensible rant. Good luck!

Vanshikav03

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 03:02:34 am »
thanks for the advice!  :)
Biology | Chemistry | psychology | English | Methods |
industry & enterprise 2019

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2020, 11:28:06 am »
+3
Hi! I’m also a student in year 12, and I’d like to share some of the advice I’ve received. I’m going to assume you’re prioritising undergrad med at Monash uni. It’s definitely possible to get in with a lower ATAR and UCAT score if your interview is really good (by low ATAR, I mean low 99s and in the 98 range). However, I’ve been told that to be in a competitive position for Monash, you’re looking at an ATAR of >99.50 and a UCAT percentile of above 90. You can definitely get in with lower scores, but it’s better to try your best to put yourself in the most competitive position you can.

If you’re serious about medicine, definitely apply interstate (I’d suggest  applying to all undergrad unis in Australia, you have nothing to lose!). Some people who aren’t happy with their ATAR or UCAT score take a gap year and resist the UCAT or redo some of their subjects. Also, post-grad is also definitely an option if you don’t get into undergrad med. The good thing is there are lots of ways to get into med, so don’t stress!!

I also recommend getting experience in a hospital setting (work experience) or participating in something similar, not just for experience, but to make sure you know what you’re getting yourself into and solidify your interest in med!

In terms of UCAT resources, I’d recommend the official question bank (400 practice questions) as well as Medify, a UK company that offers UCAT practice. It’s important to get into continent practice (20 mins a day? 30 mins a day? Will vary depending on what else you do in a day). The UCAT was created to be a skills based test, however don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t practise for it! You most definitely can, and should.

Also, don’t let the school you go to limit what ATAR you think you can achieve. It’s always a good idea to try your best and aim for the highest scores!! There are many free resources on ATARNotes and other websites, as well as for the UCAT. I recommend doing a bit of research on the different unis in Australia that offer med as an undergrad or postgrad option, as well as looking at their entry requirements.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

jinaede1342

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 07:39:11 pm »
+3
Hi there,

I was a 2019 year 12 graduate hoping to get into Medicine at Monash. I received a 98.40, 83%ile and Monash guarantee but did not even receive an interview. From experience my biggest mistake was not taking UCAT seriously enough. I practiced on Medify for literally 4 days before my test and in retrospect this was what decreased my chances. Medify is really worth it and was a huge help but start practising early! Everyone I knew was a hardcore med hopeful. Tutored in 6 of their subjects, studied for UCAT since the 1st day it was announced that UMAT was no longer required... In contrast I did not tutor for any of my subjects and went in with 4 days of UCAT experience. So definitely aim for the highest scores you can get, but remember that it’s incredibly competitive and many of the people that apply have been studying for med for what feels like their whole life (maybe this is because of the nature of the school that I went to but those are my experiences)
VCE: | English [48] | Global Politics [44] | Biology [40] | Chemistry [36] | French [34] | Methods [32]
ATAR: 98.40
2020: Bachelor of Laws (honours)/ Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Selling Global Politics responses + English/Global feedback and essay correction: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189680.0

Global Politics Tuition via Zoom - PM for details