Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 04:53:22 am

Author Topic: Studying Arts at Monash: a guide  (Read 16041 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Studying Arts at Monash: a guide
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2017, 10:55:47 am »
+6
Bumping this in case anybody is considering Arts (particularly at Monash). Happy to field questions as much as possible. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2020, 07:01:04 pm »
Excuse me for the mega bump.

Hi J41! Just like many people, my present and my future are filled with more uncertainty than normal. Back in Year 12 (one year ago, believe it or not), I was quite narrow-minded, not having much of a clue about the realities of university life. My VTAC preference list mostly consisted of Psychology degrees, and I only really paid attention to my top two preferences (which were at ACU and Swinburne because those were the open days I attended). I put next to no research in for my remaining preferences.

Now, why Psychology? Well, it was my favourite subject in VCE. Or so I thought. See, just like every student about to enter VCE, I chose subjects that I thought I would enjoy. Obviously had to do English, but the rest was up to me. I completed Psychology 3/4 in Year 11, and looking back, I believe the only reason why I "enjoyed" it was because of the teacher. I was fond of Geography as I had done Unit 1/2 in Year 11, but unfortunately, not enough students joined up so it couldn't run. I thought I enjoyed science, so I chose Biology and Chemistry. Finally, I chose Health and Human Development, then Maths Methods as I thought I was capable.

Back to psychology, though. At this stage, in my 11th week of university, I am convinced that Psychology was simply the subject I tolerated the most, and that's why it created the illusion in my head that it was my favourite subject. I basically hated the rest of my VCE subjects (HHD being an exception, but didn't love it either). With my diminishing level of interest as Year 12 wore on, I basically gave up on studying for my final VCE exams and ended up with an ATAR of 50.20 (There, I said it. Now we can move on to more important things in life).

This was not enough for my first or second preference. I received only one offer, and that was from Victoria University. Their course didn't even need an ATAR. I started the course, then immediately struggled under the weight of procrastination and lack of motivation. Of course I would be lacking motivation, I thought to myself, I underperformed in my Year 12 exams and ended up in a degree that wasn't even in my top two preferences. Then mid-March came around. It would be obvious that we would need to stay at home in order to continue our education.

Of course, I struggled even more with the lack of structure and accountability. Early in April, I felt a feeling in my gut that I needed to switch to a different course. I still feel that to this day. Since then, I've been searching the world-wide web for subjects like archaeology, ancient history, geography and anthropology. I came across Monash Bachelor of Arts and UniMelb Bachelor of Arts. I looked at the subjects offered by each major and liked what I saw. I then compared it to my current course, and it became crystal clear to me that I would do whatever it took to transfer to Arts.

Slight problem. I need to be maintaining a particular academic standard, and it's difficult to do that when I'm stuck at home, where the line between bedroom and study area is blurred. I've also decided to drop a unit so that I can more clearly think about my future options. Also note that I would like to stay in my current uni for the remainder of the year, aiming to transfer in time for Semester 1, 2021. But with the unit I dropped, does this make me ineligible for entry to Monash based on the fact that I would not have completed the equivalent of a full year of university-level study prior to starting at Monash?

I hope all that made sense, and thanks for reading this if you made it to the end.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:31 am »
+5
G'day JR. Thanks for the thread bump - quite a throw-back! I certainly did make it to the end of your post.

Am I right in thinking the main question relates to eligibility requirements for an external transfer to Arts at Monash?

If so, I honestly don't know, and I don't want to provide false information. If Monash requires 48 completed credit points, I would imagine this would make things difficult if you're planning to underload through this year. But again, I'm not 100% sure.

If you haven't already, I really recommend contacting Monash directly. I've had to call and email them a few times about various course issues, and they've always been pretty helpful - and they'll naturally have the most up-to-date information, too.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance!

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.