Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:07:38 am

Author Topic: Strategies to manage online learning  (Read 5303 times)  Share 

brothanathan

Re: Strategies to manage online learning
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 05:11:07 pm »
+1
This biggest motivation help is stick with your timetable!!! Do the tasks that you would've done in school, in order. Your teachers may have set holiday homework, have assgined work for the day, but even if you have nothing, do some revision for that subject, at that time. This is sure to help combat some demotivation! Dont forget to take your snack and lunch breaks. Wake up early, get changed for the day, freshen up, and treat it as a school timetable.

Perfecto! Can't stress that point enough, discipline discipline discipline.

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 05:12:16 pm »
+1
I'm used to structure. Uni throws that out the window. Mandatory remote learning throws whatever attempted makeshift structure I would have had out the window. Things change so quickly. But we will get through it, if we do our part and be willing to do it for a significantly long time. Attending uni for the first time face-to-face forced me so far out of my comfort zone. I guess this experience will help to build our character and increase our resilience for the future.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 05:17:26 pm »
+1
I'm used to structure. Uni throws that out the window. Mandatory remote learning throws whatever attempted makeshift structure I would have had out the window. Things change so quickly. But we will get through it, if we do our part and be willing to do it for a significantly long time. Attending uni for the first time face-to-face forced me so far out of my comfort zone. I guess this experience will help to build our character and increase our resilience for the future.

Yeah I need to find structure I'm so lost rn! I haven't had a school holiday where I'm not working for like 3 years! Like I'm used to going to school 8am - 3:30pm then work straight away 3:45pm - 7pm and the homework and sleep and do it all over again! Now I'm like aha ummm what am I doing?
I'm defintly trying to follow my timetable even over the holidays just to try and keep myself focussed but its really difficult.

lets pray that one day we don't tell our kids and grandkids when they're in year 12/uni how lucky they are and how difficult it was for us 😂

https://canscribe.com/motivated-to-study-during-holidays/
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 09:44:09 pm »
+4
For me like others, I've found establishing a structure helps me study best :) Set up a space specifically for studying if able - whether that be your desk, kitchen table, etc. - and have it as a strictly work only area. Make to do lists of things to work through so you stay on track. And if you can, get someone to help keep you accountable - that might be parents, friends, etc.

Often the hardest thing is starting. Once you get started its not so hard to keep going. That first leap is the hardest :)

Stormbreaker-X

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +31
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2020, 11:07:20 pm »
For me like others, I've found establishing a structure helps me study best :) Set up a space specifically for studying if able - whether that be your desk, kitchen table, etc. - and have it as a strictly work only area. Make to do lists of things to work through so you stay on track. And if you can, get someone to help keep you accountable - that might be parents, friends, etc.

Often the hardest thing is starting. Once you get started its not so hard to keep going. That first leap is the hardest :)
Yup certainly my style of learning as well. Tell me the worst student in terms of procrastinating that you know. I know of a guy that fell so behind in work like 1 month behind and can manage to catch up :) I guess that makes me feel better.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 01:34:48 pm »
+5
I tend to learn in more of a to do list and unstructured type of way rather than setting aside blocks  (which is very useful for a lot of people so if you haven't tried it you probably should!). Some of the things I find useful are:

- closing any tabs/programs/apps etc that aren't useful for what I'm doing right now.  Having open irrelevant tabs and programs is distracting and although it's easy to tell yourself "but I need it later!" how hard will it really be for you to reopen it then, rather than keeping it open now? I use Edge most of the time (I know - revoke my young person license or w/e)  and that has a "set aside tabs" function but iirc you can do things on chrome like bookmarking all open tabs which is similar.

- Similarly, if I'm going to do something non-productive I close my productive stuff this makes it easier to keep the distinction between when I'm trying to get stuff done and taking a break. Imo this has 2 main benefits: 1. I keep the associations and mindsets for productive and non-productive more clear and distinct 2. I don't accidentally slide from "doing stuff" to "oh.. I'll just check that 1 notification.... wait, why has it been 3 hours?"

- On this note, if there's no need for you to be connected to games or social media while you're studying then you can temporarily turn notifications off

- If I'm going to listen to music, I find it best to listen to music I'm used to so it helps me sustain attention rather than distracting from it

- In my how to stay productive post I talk about the 5 minute rule which I think is very applicable to online learning. Something > nothing

- If you don't understand something, or something gets your interest, ask and look up information. There's a wealth of stuff out there only a Google away + years of resources on AN and other sites. Even if you don't find what you're looking for, you're likely to find something else useful