Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:19:41 pm

Author Topic: can i do unit 1/2 biology without maths  (Read 893 times)  Share 

nicolalica

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
can i do unit 1/2 biology without maths
« on: November 21, 2019, 03:34:15 pm »
so i have a gap in my timetable and the only subject available that i'm mildly interested in is unit 1/2 biology, however I'm not doing unit 1/2 maths (like at all).
Not really planning on continuing biology into unit 3/4 (unless of course I do end up doing unit 1/2 and enjoy it) and as I'm doing two unit 3/4 subjects next year, I probably won't be putting a lot of effort into this subject.
So basically my question is-  does biology require maths (and to what extent)? I don't know if this is a stupid question or not ahaha, I know that both chemistry and physics obviously require maths, unsure of biology as the last time I did it was year 9.
For reference, the subjects I'm doing next year are unit 3/4 legal studies, unit 3/4 english language, unit 1/2 history, unit 1/2 psychology. If you're wondering why I'm doing 2 unit 3/4 subjects, it's because I have done the unit 1/2 for both of those subjects, as this year was supposed to be my year 11 but due to mental health issues i've had throughout the year (which led to a lot of absences and a few failed units), I'm adding another year to my high school experience.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: can i do unit 1/2 biology without maths
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 03:47:02 pm »
+4
I did the previous study design but I'm pretty sure that the most maths VCE biology requires is being able to double something multiple times.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: can i do unit 1/2 biology without maths
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:37:14 pm »
+4
The most maths you have to do in 1/2 biology is doubling/halving (for haploid and diploid numbers). I did it whilst in Year 10, and I certainly didn't suffer because I wasn't doing a VCE maths concurrently. You will be fine.

Enjoy bio, it's a great subject!