Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:27:02 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 3612349 times)  Share 

ooblydoobly

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #9840 on: December 22, 2017, 08:22:19 pm »
Help pls: :o What are the hardest topics in biology 3/4?

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #9841 on: December 22, 2017, 08:41:06 pm »
+2
It depends for each person. Most people I know found the immunity topic at the end of Unit 3 the hardest due to how much content there is to learn and how complex it sometimes is. For me, I found plant hormones to be the hardest to learn since I kept forgetting the names of each and their multiple functions ehehe - but for many, this was one of the easiest topics for them.
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #9842 on: December 22, 2017, 08:52:39 pm »
+5
For me evolution was the hardest, particularly because no one really knew exactly what VCAA wanted us to know. Having said that I did way worse on the immunity SAC than any of the others, but that was mainly due to answering questions badly.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

ooblydoobly

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9843 on: December 26, 2017, 03:08:02 pm »
+1
For me evolution was the hardest, particularly because no one really knew exactly what VCAA wanted us to know. Having said that I did way worse on the immunity SAC than any of the others, but that was mainly due to answering questions badly.

Thanks!
P.s. How do i give you a +1 respect?

It depends for each person. Most people I know found the immunity topic at the end of Unit 3 the hardest due to how much content there is to learn and how complex it sometimes is. For me, I found plant hormones to be the hardest to learn since I kept forgetting the names of each and their multiple functions ehehe - but for many, this was one of the easiest topics for them.

Thankyou for the info!

Mod edit: Please refrain from double-posting on the forums. Rather than make a new post, simply click the 'modify' button in the top right corner of your original post :) --Calebark
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 03:19:04 pm by Calebark »

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #9844 on: December 26, 2017, 05:26:27 pm »
+2
Thanks!
P.s. How do i give you a +1 respect?

Thankyou for the info!

Mod edit: Please refrain from double-posting on the forums. Rather than make a new post, simply click the 'modify' button in the top right corner of your original post :) --Calebark
Re: respect

off topic
I can see that you have "up-voted" PhoneixxFire's post.
Individuals can't give another use +1 respect. A post requires to pass the threshold 3 "up-votes" to be counted towards your "respect"  A +3 on a post gives the use +0.4 respect and for each additionall "up-vote" they get another 0.4 respect.
That is -
+1 = +0 respect
+2 = +0 respect
+3 = +0.4 respect
+4  = +0.8 respect
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:39:16 pm by Sine »

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9845 on: January 15, 2018, 07:29:06 pm »
I'm kinda confused about the size of the active site of enzymes. Enzymes are proteins made up of thousands of amino acids right? So how do they catalyze reactions with reactants that are much, much smaller than they are (example: hydrogen peroxide, how does Catalase catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide when hydrogen peroxide is really small compared to Catalase)? Is the active site really small or something? Can it fit multiple molecules?

Also my textbook says altering the pH level of the solution surrounding an enzyme can denature the enzyme and substrate. Doesn't that imply that substrates can be proteins? But why would a protein need to bind to an enzyme if the role of an enzyme is to speed up chemical reactions?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:36:34 pm by randomnobody69420 »

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #9846 on: January 15, 2018, 07:47:33 pm »
+7
I'm kinda confused about the size of the active site of enzymes. Enzymes are proteins made up of thousands of amino acids right? So how do they catalyze reactions with reactants that are much, much smaller than they are (example: hydrogen peroxide, how does Catalase catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide when hydrogen peroxide is really small compared to itself)? Is the active site really small or something? Can it fit multiple molecules?

Also my textbook says altering the pH level of the solution surrounding an enzyme can denature the enzyme and substrate. Doesn't that imply that substrates can be proteins? But why would a protein need to bind to an enzyme if the role of an enzyme is to speed up chemical reactions?

I'm afraid I don't know enough to comment on the size of an active site.  However, most models I've seen (example below) show the enzyme as being significantly larger than the substrate, so I assume they are quite small. I'll wait for somebody else to comment on this.

You are correct. Substrates can indeed be proteins. Proteins can undergo reactions too. It's a bit hard to explain without an example, so I'll use one. When some animals (typically young ruminants like sheep) drink liquid milk, they need it to form into a solid (coagulation), because if it's a liquid it'll leave the body too quickly and thus not allow the nutrients to be absorbed. If it's more of a solid, it'll pass slowly through the body. The digestive acids in the stomach will coagulate this, but it'll do it rather slowly, so it needs to speed up the process. This is where an enzyme dedicated to a specific protein (these are called 'proteases'. Enzymes for carbs are called carbohydrases and enzymes for lipids are called lipases) called 'chymosin'. The chymosin speeds up the reaction and converts the liquid milk to a solid, called curd.

The protein needs to undergo a chemical reaction. The enzyme is there to do that.

god i hope that make sense i'm horrid at this
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9847 on: January 16, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
+3
I'm afraid I don't know enough to comment on the size of an active site.  However, most models I've seen (example below) show the enzyme as being significantly larger than the substrate, so I assume they are quite small. I'll wait for somebody else to comment on this.

Yes, usually :)
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

randomnobody69420

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9848 on: January 18, 2018, 06:15:22 pm »
Alright so my textbook says "'If the demand for ATP outstrips the supply from aerobic respiration, eukaryotic cells supplement demand by shifting towards anaerobic respiration." Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this mean that anaerobic respiration produces more ATP per unit of time, even though aerobic respiration produces up to 36 ATP molecules while anaerobic respiration only produces 2?

Also, since anaerobic respiration is faster than aerobic, doesn't that technically mean that decreasing the supply of oxygen increases the rate of cellular respiration (since cells will be forced to undergo anaerobic respiration to meet their energy needs)? Thanks in advance.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9849 on: January 18, 2018, 06:20:27 pm »
+1
Yes anaerobic is faster. Yes this means reduced oxygen results in a faster production of atp, however questions will normally ask about its affect on aerobic cellular respiration rather than cellular respiration in general.

Globe

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #9850 on: January 18, 2018, 07:17:11 pm »
What kind of function would a cell have that contains more rough ER than smooth ER. If someone was able to explain the main differences in terms of what we need to know for VCE, that would be great, as this area has me a little confused.

Thanks!
2017: | Psychology [41->40] |
2018: | Business Management [46->45] | English [43] | Japanese SL [35->43] | Biology [39->40] | Methods [29->33] |
Atar: 96.55 :)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #9851 on: January 18, 2018, 07:24:53 pm »
+3
rER is involved in protein synthesis and export whereas sER is involved in exporting lipids (among other things). A lot of either ER means it exports lots of materials.

A cell with lots of rER will be exporting proteins, for example plasma B cells (which have lots of rER) export antibodies (a type of protein).

Don’t worry about it too much, you need to know about rER in the synthesis of proteins, but not about sER (other than it’s general function)

TheAspiringDoc

« Reply #9852 on: January 18, 2018, 07:25:01 pm »
+2
What kind of function would a cell have that contains more rough ER than smooth ER. If someone was able to explain the main differences in terms of what we need to know for VCE, that would be great, as this area has me a little confused.

Thanks!

Smooth ER is involved in detoxification of substances such as alcohol, I believe, so would be prominent in cells such as those belonging to the liver.
Rough ER is involved in synthesis and transport of proteins within the cell. So this would be important in cells that produce lots of proteins. Such cells also happen to excrete many proteins (hence the continual protein synthesis and transport, and the large amounts of rough ER), so cells such as those that excrete digestive enzymes into the stomach/duodenum.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #9853 on: January 20, 2018, 10:17:31 am »

Thanks!

PF and Aspiring Doc have team-worked this one really well tbh. Classic example of a cell with lots of sER is a hepatocyte (i.e. liver cell), with rER is the plasma B-cell. If you google "hepatocyte electron micrograph" you'll see a picture of all the smooth ER in it, likewise for plasma cell and rER
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

okan321

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9854 on: January 22, 2018, 01:39:42 pm »
Can somebody please clarify what exactly is needed to be studied for the immunology section of unit 3 (i.e. area of study 2)? The study design doesn’t exactly specify the depth of study that is required for this area of the course unlike area of study 1 which does a pretty good job. The textbook I am using goes into immaculate detail about pathogens and rambles on about different examples but I am not sure as to what I am supposed to actually look for in terms of exam preparation and note taking. Simply put, what concepts am I supposed to memorise and connect with the other area of studies?