Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:13:08 pm

Author Topic: What are some good sophisticated words that can be used in a essay??  (Read 36765 times)  Share 

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +305
  • School Grad Year: 2012
Re: What are some good sophisticated words that can be used in a essay??
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:00 pm »
+3
Obfuscate. As in, 'if you contrive to use impressive sounding words in your essays you will often obfuscate the examiner and they will not be able to comprehend your actual analysis.'

That being said, if you ever get the chance to use antidisestablishmentarianism in a sentence, please let me know.

As Surgeon said, keep your phone with you at all times or a dictionary, and look up words that you think put a cherry on top in terms of expression. Then commit that to memory by using it in a couple of sentences. Make sure you know exactly what the word means, and watch out for any similarly spelled ones.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:49:54 pm by charmanderp »
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

Bhootnike

• Chief Curry Officer
  • Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Biggest Sharabi
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:53:35 pm »
Obfuscate. As in, 'if you contrive to use impressive sounding words in your essays you will often obfuscate the examiner and they will not be able to comprehend your actual analysis.'

That being said, if you ever get the chance to use antidisestablishmentarianism in a sentence, please let me know.

As Surgeon said, keep your phone with you at all times or a dictionary, and look up words that you think put a cherry on top in terms of expression. Then commit that to memory by using it in a couple of sentences. Make sure you know exactly what the word means, and watch out for any similarly spelled ones.

yeah, dont wanna obsfucate your ideas by putting all these wonderful words which are meaningless in the context of your work!

LOL.
thats nothing.
in one of my bros lecture recordings, the professor attempted: "pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis"
it was obviously as a joke. but wtf!
2011: Biol - 42
2012: Spesh |Methods |Chemistry |English Language| Physics
2014: Physiotherapy
khuda ne jab tujhe banaya hoga, ek suroor uske dil mein aaya hoga, socha hoga kya doonga tohfe mein tujhe.... tab ja ke usne mujhe banaya hoga

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »
Haha to be fair, if that's a medical term it probably belonged there (assuming it was a med lecture).
University of Melbourne - Bachelor of Arts majoring in English, Economics and International Studies (2013 onwards)

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 07:13:42 pm »
+7
Well here's my wordbank for English - you might or might not find it useful depending on the texts - but pretty much I memorised all of this and used phrases as I needed in my Essay.

PS. Charmanderp - might be good for you because I know you're doing the same texts that I did last year :P
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:15:41 pm by paulsterio »

Jenny_2108

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:27 pm »
Well here's my wordbank for English - you might or might not find it useful depending on the texts - but pretty much I memorised all of this and used phrases as I needed in my Essay.

I dont do this text but its quite helpful to learn some sophisticated words from here though.

I remember in my first SAC, I was so nervous so almost forgot everything I remembered before. Then I used some Bio, Chem and Maths terminology to describe the characters and analyse the events. When I got my SAC back, the teacher underlined these words and wrote they were quite good. LOL Scientific terms are awesome!

paulsterio

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • I <3 2SHAN
  • Respect: +430
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »
+2
Be careful with complicated terminology though, you don't get brownie points for making your essay hard to read.

Your final aim is to write an essay which contains:

1) A good argument, based on good ideas with good evidence
2) Coherence
3) Professional and academic language

So I think you should be aiming for basically around about the same language level as an opinion article in The Age. Don't try to use too many complicated words or else your essay will sound like this:

The use of complicated wording as an overall literary technique needs to encompass graphic and individual comprehension to allow the reader to become acquainted with the unique terminological aspects employed by the author whilst not detracting from the application of the specific innuendos influencing the particular methods involved which reflect the tone of the major works in question, thereby altering the quality of the outcome.

Try reading it, all at once, I bet at the end of it, you'll be forced to read it again, because it's just too complex - remember - easy on the adjectives and easy on the adverbs. What you want is one nice adjective to describe what you're getting at instead of five mediocre ones.

sabii

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 09:16:10 pm »
Be careful with complicated terminology though, you don't get brownie points for making your essay hard to read.

Your final aim is to write an essay which contains:

1) A good argument, based on good ideas with good evidence
2) Coherence
3) Professional and academic language

So I think you should be aiming for basically around about the same language level as an opinion article in The Age. Don't try to use too many complicated words or else your essay will sound like this:

The use of complicated wording as an overall literary technique needs to encompass graphic and individual comprehension to allow the reader to become acquainted with the unique terminological aspects employed by the author whilst not detracting from the application of the specific innuendos influencing the particular methods involved which reflect the tone of the major works in question, thereby altering the quality of the outcome.

Try reading it, all at once, I bet at the end of it, you'll be forced to read it again, because it's just too complex - remember - easy on the adjectives and easy on the adverbs. What you want is one nice adjective to describe what you're getting at instead of five mediocre ones.

Wow, that was actually really annoying to read, I think I have a headache now! I get what you mean though, sophisticated yet coherent!

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 09:35:39 pm »
+4
Juxtaposition. It's the word to end all words.
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

charmanderp

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
+1
Especially remember that examiners have to mark hundreds of essays at all hours of the day and night. If they have to read a sentence or paragraph or essay more than once to try to decipher your convoluted prose, they're not going to be too pleased and it'll reflect in how they mark you. Take it from someone who learnt the hard way from a couple of Lit SACs.

pi

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Doctor.
  • Respect: +2376
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 12:00:38 am »
+3
A great word I just found: eellogofusciouhipoppokunurious

Get around it :)

FlorianK

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +64
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2012, 12:50:59 am »
Can we use "for the sake of" in an exam?

Truck

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +122
  • School: who needs school when you got SWAG?
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2012, 01:20:54 am »
+1
The concept of memorizing words for the purpose of improving your vocabulary is so incredibly foreign to me... As far as I'm concerned, the only way one can properly build up their "wordbank" (for want of a better word) is to read a variety of texts. Year 12 is not the best time for this however, so I suggest working with what you have and not worrying about memorizing newer and better words. So long as you have not completely neglected books you should be able to develop sentences with relatively sophisticated expression.

On another note, I find a thesaurus helps most when I can't think of a synonym for a word that I may have used in a prior sentence but need to reuse, in which case it is helpful but do not choose words whose meanings you don't understand or your sentence will probably not make sense .
#yolo #thuglife #swaggotandproud

Inspirations: Mahtama Ghandi, T-Pain, The Caped Crusader and Ayn Rand.

Shenz0r

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2012, 10:49:28 am »
+1
The concept of memorizing words for the purpose of improving your vocabulary is so incredibly foreign to me... As far as I'm concerned, the only way one can properly build up their "wordbank" (for want of a better word) is to read a variety of texts. Year 12 is not the best time for this however, so I suggest working with what you have and not worrying about memorizing newer and better words. So long as you have not completely neglected books you should be able to develop sentences with relatively sophisticated expression.

On another note, I find a thesaurus helps most when I can't think of a synonym for a word that I may have used in a prior sentence but need to reuse, in which case it is helpful but do not choose words whose meanings you don't understand or your sentence will probably not make sense .

I think it's good if you can find some nice-sounding words to integrate into your writing, but not too much. I'd rather memorise some epic phrases and sentence structures instead.

When I was writing my practise essays under untimed conditions, I used the Thesaurus a damn lot, but also make you sure check the actual dictionary meaning of a synonym too. Synonyms have slightly different meanings to each other, some may have stronger meanings than others, and you don't want to be using them in the wrong contexts.
2012 ATAR: 99.20
2013-2015: Bachelor of Biomedicine (Microbiology/Immunology: Infections and Immunity) at The University of Melbourne
2016-2019: Doctor of Medicine (MD4) at The University of Melbourne

BigAl

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +43
  • School: Isik College
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 11:39:52 pm »
I like "aver" when writing about media texts.
-assert
-profession
-claim
-declare
-despotic
2012 ATAR:88.90

2013-2015 Bachelor of Aerospace Engineering and Science (dropped in 2015)
2015-2017 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)

_eriicc

• Victorian
  • Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 06:50:33 pm »
+1
- Reiterates
- Depicts
- Extrapolates
- Coincides (with ____)
- Juxtaposes

When describing characters and their traits:
- Petulant
- Convivial
- Ignominious
- Vivacious