Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:19:02 am

Author Topic: Mikaela's State Rank Q+A: March 26th (7pm - 9pm)  (Read 3799 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Mikaela's State Rank Q+A: March 26th (7pm - 9pm)
« on: March 14, 2019, 11:33:51 am »
+9
This Q+A is now closed!!
Welcome to Mikaela's Q+A!

Some things you might want to know about Mikaela:
- Achieved 6th in NSW for Studies of Relgion II
- Band 6's across a variety of subjects; MX1/MX2, English, Music 1 and of course SOR
- An insanely high ATAR of 99.80
- Currently studying Dentistry at USYD

Mikaela is also our Tutesmart Tutor for Studies of Religion. Want to be taught by a state ranker every week? Click here to learn more!

To ask a question...
1. If you haven't already, register for an ATAR Notes account by clicking here!
2. Scroll down to the Quick Reply window at the bottom of this page
3. Type your reply and click Post!

« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 09:06:52 pm by jamonwindeyer »

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Re: Mikaela's State Rank Q+A: March 26th (7pm - 9pm)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 07:00:11 pm »
+8
Hey guys!
Welcome to the Studies of Religion Q&A!

I'll be here for the next 2 hours so feel free to ask as many questions as you want :)

Comment away!

ATAR: 99.80
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

2017: Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Dentistry @ USYD

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 07:15:46 pm »
+2
Hello Mikaela!

You’ll probably get heaps of SOR questions so I’m just gonna ask this instead- what’s your favourite part about studying dentistry ? And what got you into it in the first place?
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 07:19:07 pm »
+3
If you had to pick one thing you did that got you a state rank in SOR, what would it be??

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:23:13 pm »
+9
Hello Mikaela!

You’ll probably get heaps of SOR questions so I’m just gonna ask this instead- what’s your favourite part about studying dentistry ? And what got you into it in the first place?

Hey!
So as part of my degree I haven't actually completed any dentistry units yet. As I'm doing a combined science and dentistry degree, the first year is purely science but I am very excited to start dentistry! When I was in year 12, thinking of different career options, I wanted to do something that would have a direct impact on someone else's life. I realised that many people overlook the importance oral hygiene in maintaining good health (something most of us take for granted), so to be able to do something so small for someone else (i.e. clean their teeth), and make a positive impact on their life, will be really rewarding!
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 07:27:06 pm »
+10
If you had to pick one thing you did that got you a state rank in SOR, what would it be??

Be able to apply your knowledge BEYOND the syllabus! I made a conscious effort throughout year 12 to use plenty of contemporary examples that relate to the modern world. It's one thing being able to regurgitate information for SOR (as it is a very content heavy subject) but it's another thing to be able to put that knowledge into practice.

Plus ... plenty of references and quotes from sacred texts AND important people (the more the merrier I like to think for SOR!)
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 07:35:56 pm »
+5
Serious question: In the exam, how would you pick which of the religious traditions to write your essay on?

Not-serious question: Where do you said on the USyd/UNSW ‘rivalries’?

james_cam123

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 07:36:24 pm »
+2
hello I have two questions!

1- Is there some secret to structuring sor essays? No matter what I try I can't get decent marks :(
2- How many bible verses per essay?

thank you! and congrats on such a great score!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 07:40:05 pm »
+5
I have more of an opinion based question than anything  ;D I've met many people who are doing SOR who are irked by the subject because it's compulsory in their school. Do you have any advice for students who are in those situations on how they can grow to love and appreciate it like you do?  :)
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

queenbeesknees

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 07:42:33 pm »
+2
Hi! I hope I'm doing this right...

I was just wondering how much work you normally put into SOR? I'm getting pretty good marks but not really putting too much time into it and I'm worried there's something I'm missing? Like, what do you do to study?

ALSO since you did Music do you have any performance tips? I'm doing all four performances and I'm dying...

Thank you for doing this Q+A!

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 07:50:10 pm »
+9
hello I have two questions!

1- Is there some secret to structuring sor essays? No matter what I try I can't get decent marks :(
2- How many bible verses per essay?

thank you! and congrats on such a great score!

Hey James!

1. I'll break down a bit on how I personally structured my SOR responses but I know plenty of people who structured their responses differently and received amazing results as well so it's important to try find a way that gets the information down succinctly and clearly!

- For an essay on Significant Person, I planned to do 1 paragraph = 1 contribution and/or impact (+ impact). I found this allowed me to structure my response in a way that did not confuse me and enabled the examiner to understand my different points. Another point is, at the end of each paragraph, I would always link it back to how the person's legacy remains today. (i.e. how did they influence the beliefs, teachings, practice of the present day religion).

- For an essay on Ethics I typically did intro paragraph, 1 paragraph on the ethical teachings of the religion and link in sacred texts/principal beliefs, then 1 paragraph = 1 Ethical issue. Within these ethical issue paragraphs (i.e. abortion, euthanasia, contraception, deforestation etc), I would clearly define the issue, state how it relates to an ethical teaching, and what the various denominations say about this issue. Using a variety of scripture references and also quotes from important people really help your essay stand out from the crowd as well as contrasting/comparing different denominational viewpoints (e.g. Orthodox vs Catholic vs Uniting)

- For an essay on practice, I typically did introduction, 1 paragraph explaining what it is (and how it expresses the beliefs of Christianity) and then focus on exploring the significance for individuals and the community !

Be sure however, that these are very general essay structures! SOR essay questions can be super broad or very specific so it's important to have essay PLANS (not essays) prepared for all the different options. The more practice you get writing these types of essays, the easier it becomes so don't worry if it's a bit daunting at first ;)

2. In terms of quotes, I typically did 2 quotes per paragraph, however some paragraphs used more and others less - again, it's going to depend on what your argument is and if that quote supports and extends your point! -- there's no point putting a quote in for the sake of putting a quote in, I'd always try link it back to my main argument :)

Hope this helps and good luck!
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 07:54:45 pm »
+9
Serious question: In the exam, how would you pick which of the religious traditions to write your essay on?

Not-serious question: Where do you said on the USyd/UNSW ‘rivalries’?

I'd recommend picking the religion that you feel most confident in! At the end of the day, you've got to be able to write 20 marks worth of information so definitely choose the option in which you think you'll be best able to answer the question and get the most marks. For me, as I attended a Christian school since Kindy, I was by far the most familiar and confident with Christianity as I had been technically preparing for SOR with bible quotes for 13 years!

USYD and UNSW are both great uni's however in saying that, I have a big differentiating factor --> can you find Harry Potter at UNSW? I think not, so for that reason I'm going to say USYD (as it's the closet thing to Hogwarts in Australia) is a beautiful and THE BEST place to study :)
Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 07:58:04 pm »
+7
I have more of an opinion based question than anything  ;D I've met many people who are doing SOR who are irked by the subject because it's compulsory in their school. Do you have any advice for students who are in those situations on how they can grow to love and appreciate it like you do?  :)

For sure! That was a similar situation with me as SOR or catholic studies was compulsory for all students. However I found SOR to be such a welcoming relief from my other subjects. I found my other subjects were often very fixed and the syllabus' quite rigid and I often felt they didn't have relevance beyond HSC. However SOR makes you a much more well rounded person - from ethical debates, significant people and knowledge on important religions. This is knowledge that I guarantee you will use throughout your life, whether it be in travelling, university or just life in general!

Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

mikaelajackson

• HSC Lecturer
  • ____________
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 08:07:32 pm »
+4
Hi! I hope I'm doing this right...

I was just wondering how much work you normally put into SOR? I'm getting pretty good marks but not really putting too much time into it and I'm worried there's something I'm missing? Like, what do you do to study?

ALSO since you did Music do you have any performance tips? I'm doing all four performances and I'm dying...

Thank you for doing this Q+A!

Hey! You certainly are :)
I found just practicing responses throughout the year very helpful. I didn't spend as much time on SOR as my other subjects but just dedicating 20 mins a day to practice some short answers or even 5 minutes to run through multiple choice really really helps the knowledge stick. I never studied SOR for long periods of time, I found breaking it into smaller chunks really helpful! I'd also recommend writing essay plans - there's wayyyy too much knowledge in SOR to memorise so writing succint essay plans really helped me.

I also did four performances for Music so I completely sympathise with you! For music, it's important to be practicing consistently and effectively every day. There's no point sitting on the piano for 20 minutes and just run through your repertoire with no breaks. I would spend maybe 20-30 minutes unpacking my pieces and working again on those smaller details. I don't think I even ran through my entire performances until a couple of weeks before HSC. For Music, I often felt I wasn't achieving much as learning a piece takes so much time and is such a slow process. However, it was also one of my most rewarding subjects and it's amazing to walk into your HSC final exam already have completed 75% (I think!) of your HSC mark! So what kept me going was that I'll work hard now and then after August I'll really gain the benefits.

And for all those rumours that Music 1 doesn't scale well...that's not true as music was one of my best subjects :)

Subjects;
- English Advanced (96)
- Math 3U (98)
- Math 4U (94)
- Music 1 (96)
- SOR2 (97 - 6th in NSW)

Rohit Bhat

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 08:10:36 pm »
+2
Hey Mikaela,

So I am finding it quite difficult to memorize the content so do you have any tips/ strategies that you used to remember the content?
Anddd any possibilities to get your notes please?

Thanks,
Rohit