Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:53 am

Author Topic: Why does most of the news seem to be negative?  (Read 4295 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
Why does most of the news seem to be negative?
« on: December 11, 2019, 12:09:53 pm »
+3
I know that many distressing events happen in this world on a near-constant basis, but I also know that much good is happening in the world as well; it just doesn't seem to be reported nearly as often as the morbid and scary stuff.

Does negative news make more money than positive news? I obviously don't want ALL news to be positive (that would be taking it too far, and would be blatantly biased against the important issues that have to be addressed, although overwhelmingly negative), I just want to know why there doesn't seem to be at least a 50-50 balance of 'good' news and 'bad' news reports?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Why does most of the news seem to be negative?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 12:37:17 pm »
+4
The main things I can think of are:
- outrage generating more clicks, comments etc. than positive news (& thus earning more ad money)
- urgent news that requires immediate action being more likely to be negative (& thus there's more motivation to share negative stories)
- we need to remember negative things more strongly than positive things

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 12:56:51 pm »
The main things I can think of are:
- outrage generating more clicks, comments etc. than positive news (& thus earning more ad money)
- urgent news that requires immediate action being more likely to be negative (& thus there's more motivation to share negative stories)
- we need to remember negative things more strongly than positive things

Ah, I see. About your third point, is that a product of human evolution? Is it just human nature for the news and media to be mostly negative because we are likely to recall more of what they report?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 01:03:34 pm »
+1
Ah, I see. About your third point, is that a product of human evolution? Is it just human nature for the news and media to be mostly negative because we are likely to recall more of what they report?

That was meant to say 'tend to' rather than 'need to' but yeah. The leading opinion (afaik) is that from a survival standpoint it was more important to remember details related to fear-inducing events than positive ones and that's lead to our brains operating they way they do in that respect.

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 01:18:00 pm »
+1
Actually I have seen many credible studies and read articles that state that humans actually tend to remember negative things more than positive ones, and I think it is a product of evolution iirc.

It would make sense. Generally negative things = danger. Danger = threat to survival, and survival is the instinct everyone is born with.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2019, 01:21:09 pm »
There's actually a really well-written article on The Guardian that I read last year outlining this very topic :) Thought it'd be worth sharing it  ;D

The media exaggerates negative news. This distortion has consequences
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music