Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:46 pm

Author Topic: VCE Global Politics Question Thread  (Read 32948 times)  Share 

hello876

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Global Politics Question Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 05:08:47 pm »
30 minutes is the recommended time (the essay is 20 marks and the suggested time allocation is 1.5 minutes per mark). I would recommend writing your essay in 30 minutes then if you have more time at the end you can expand on any points as necessary. Though honestly if you do have time left, prioritise short answer (unless you wrote a really rough draft for your essay) because it’s easier to get marks from SA than your extended response.

Justice is basically the idea of how to implement ethics in practice. An important part of justice is how to punish a party when ethics are undermined. Also, ethics (in VCE global politics) refer strictly to cosmopolitan ideology, it does not encompass realism.

Mentioning international laws would be useful in this case.

Ok thankyou!
I am just confused I thought ethics was both realism and cosmopolitanism?

elenacatherine

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 05:29:24 pm »
As long as you make it clear in 1) your introduction; 2) your body paragraphs; and 3) your conclusion that you are focusing on terrorism and armed conflict it will be fine. You can chuck in a brief sentence in your intro such as “this essay specifically looks at the usage of terrorism as an instrument of state policy” or something like that to make it even clearer. There’s no rule that says you must focus on both equally.

thank you so much!

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 05:36:35 pm »
+1
Ok thankyou!
I am just confused I thought ethics was both realism and cosmopolitanism?

Nope, just cosmopolitanism. This is according to the official definition given in VCAA's global politics glossary page.

Ethics
This seeks to address questions of morality and extends into global politics through the creation and application of international laws that attempts to codify the behaviour of global actors in the pursuit of cosmopolitan goals.​

thank you so much!
No worries :)
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Hala119

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2019, 02:10:03 pm »
Hi---for the ethical debates essay, would they ask you to discuss only ONE ethical issue? Because my essay plan takes into account two ethical issues. Should I practise another paragraph so that my whole essay could plan to only talk about one ethical issue?

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2019, 03:35:38 pm »
+2
Hi---for the ethical debates essay, would they ask you to discuss only ONE ethical issue? Because my essay plan takes into account two ethical issues. Should I practise another paragraph so that my whole essay could plan to only talk about one ethical issue?

Yes. On the 2018 exam they asked for only one ethical issue. On the sample exam, they asked for at least one.

You should definitely aim to do preparations around writing on both one AND two issue(s) because VCAA can ask for either on the exam.

This goes for Unit 4 AOS 2 global crises as well - they can ask for one or two.

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2019, 07:12:35 pm »
Will there be one essay topic per outcome? And are we allowed to bring in topics from other outcomes for the essay and for short answer?
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2019, 08:19:48 pm »
Will there be one essay topic per outcome? And are we allowed to bring in topics from other outcomes for the essay and for short answer?

Yes, one essay topic for each AOS.

For the essay, you are allowed to bring in content from across the course (you can even go beyond by a little), but stick strictly to the study design for short answer (and only use content from that AOS).

cdel

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2020, 11:30:25 pm »
Hello, just need help with a quick question. I need to be able to write 500 words on:

- TO WHAT EXTENT does being a member of the eu challenge the sovereignty of member states (using Hungary’s position during migrant crisis as example)

Jimmmy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2020, 02:56:09 pm »
+1
Hello, just need help with a quick question. I need to be able to write 500 words on:

- TO WHAT EXTENT does being a member of the eu challenge the sovereignty of member states (using Hungary’s position during migrant crisis as example)
Hi cdel!

I'll quickly run through some key points around this question for you:
- 'to what extent' dictates a stated contention on your behalf somewhere in the piece (eg. 'being a member of the EU ultimately has little impact over the sovereignty of member states'.)

- In a real SAC/Exam question, you shouldn't ever be asked for a specific regional grouping (eg. EU), but rather the broader 'regional groupings' (eg. African Union, Pacific Islands Forum etc.). Not strictly with context to this question here, but for future reference.

- Hungary specific: Viktor Orban 'Muslim Invaders', their policy of only one refugee per day accepted into their borders (or roundabouts), the EU expectations of member states post-2013. Check out this info, and you should have a good idea what to argue.

- Non-Hungary specific: Germany (pro-EU for parts, Merkel 'no upper limit [on number of refugees Germany shall accept]'), Italy (con-EU, didn't want Doctors without Borders bringing refugees to their shores).

There's a bunch of other examples which I have, but these could pretty much cover at least 500 words on the question you've asked and if there's one thing I learnt in Global Politics, it's that 'quality > quantity' everyday of the week.

Good Luck!
2018 - 2019 (VCE): English Language, Maths Methods, Legal Studies, Global Politics, Business Management (2018), Philosophy
2020 - 2024: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash University

alexia.s

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2020, 10:07:09 am »
Hi! I'm doing armed conflict as one of my ethical issues and I'm having a lot of issues wrapping my head around the "arms control vs disarmament" debate. There's virtually nothing online or in the textbook, so if someone could help explain it I would really appreciate it.

Massimo1

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 10:23:11 pm »
Does anyone know how you would describe the role of a state in Global Politics?
Dreamed it, then real lifed it - well, still trying (;

2019: Health & Human Development
2020: Biology, Chemistry, English, Global Politics, Methods

_Ruby_27

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2021, 03:52:03 pm »
Hi I'm doing unit 1&2 of global politics  and I'm really struggling with an essay at the moment on globalisation this is pretty broad but I was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice on the topic of globalisation, essay structure (for politics essays), good language to use, how to start it off (I'm really bad at intros) etc 

and tips or advice would be greatly appreciated  :)

monsouleil

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2021, 07:57:03 pm »
Hello,

I need to write an essay about "ANALYSE THE CHALLENGES TO ACHIEVING AN EFFECTIVE RESOLUTION TO ONE GLOBAL CRISES" but I'm not sure how to write it on the Yemen Civil War. Can anyone help me out with the structure, especially the conclusion?  I already have a fixed structure but am still confused. Thanks :)

greenbean

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2021, 02:24:24 pm »
+1
Does anyone know how you would describe the role of a state in Global Politics?

i am a student but...
The role of a state is to meet the needs of its citizens ultimately. There are 5 main factors Welfare, Order, Security, Justice and Freedom
there are many different answers to the question. In one of the exams a sample response said that the role was to maintain sov. (which can also be an aim) or to represent their territorial entity in the international community.

723462346`127

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2021, 07:16:24 pm »
Hi, next year I am doing units 3&4 global politics via VSV...I am kinda worried about being about to work independently and still score highly. does anyone have any tips/resources/advice that can help me do well?!