Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:12:38 pm

Author Topic: help !! failing vce english :(  (Read 2352 times)  Share 

ciaoimangel

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
help !! failing vce english :(
« on: April 11, 2019, 04:31:07 pm »
+1
I'm not sure what to do anymore...

I am currently in year 12 where I am just passing english in the range of 50-55% and I have just failed my english sac. I do put effort but i feel like giving up because the first sac i gave alot of effort but i received a score of 50%. Please give me some tips on how can i get a better result and  achieve at least a 30 study score. My vocabulary is legit like a year 7 and i really want a pass this year.

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: help !! failing vce english :(
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:25:40 pm »
+5
Hello ciaoimangel! :)
How are you doing?

I have suffered similar feelings to you when I put so much effort that I will definitely get a 100 but I never ever never ever do. It's so frustrating and makes me want to bash my head against the wall or my table.
But don't worry, if you can put a lot of effort in, then I know you have the strength to keep pushing through and getting there in the end. Stay strong!
By the way, what english are you doing?
Tips:
- You can write essays a couple of weeks before your sac and then have your teacher mark it. They can give very valuable feedback and they are the ones that are going to be marking your sac so you know exactly what to put into your essay to make it amazing.
- Practice. Practice. Practice. I can't stress this enough. If you keep practising writing essays, structuring your sentences, organising your ideas and formulating your ideas, then you WILL get better! Progress might be slow in the beginning but as you keep practising, you will get to your goal and be writing the best essays!
- Read the 'good' essays from the examiner's reports and read the examiner's reports from the VCAA website. They will usually have a lot of good tips on what you should include in your essay. Read the 'good' essays and analyse why they are good. How are they different to your and what can you do to improve?
- Read lots. Read different texts and see how they use language. How do they use language to convey what they want? How do they express effectively and concisely?

Tips for vocabulary:
- Personally when I was in upper primary and high school, I used to have this book where I collated words and wrote the definition and a sentence. These words can be from anywhere, a random word on an ad, the book you are reading, the newspaper! You can even search it u on the phone if you are travelling. Or when you hear a word you've never heard of, ask them!
- Read the newspaper. Particularly editorials, opinion articles, feature articles etc. You are going to find a lot of words that you can use in your own essay, especially the argumentative essays you will need to write, assuming you are doing mainstream english.

I hope this helped!
 :)

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 08:15:49 pm »
+1
How are you doing?

Tips:
- You can write essays a couple of weeks before your sac and then have your teacher mark it. They can give very valuable feedback and they are the ones that are going to be marking your sac so you know exactly what to put into your essay to make it amazing.
- Practice. Practice. Practice. I can't stress this enough. If you keep practising writing essays, structuring your sentences, organising your ideas and formulating your ideas, then you WILL get better! Progress might be slow in the beginning but as you keep practising, you will get to your goal and be writing the best essays!
- Read the 'good' essays from the examiner's reports and read the examiner's reports from the VCAA website. They will usually have a lot of good tips on what you should include in your essay. Read the 'good' essays and analyse why they are good. How are they different to your and what can you do to improve?
- Read lots. Read different texts and see how they use language. How do they use language to convey what they want? How do they express effectively and concisely?

Tips for vocabulary:
- Personally when I was in upper primary and high school, I used to have this book where I collated words and wrote the definition and a sentence. These words can be from anywhere, a random word on an ad, the book you are reading, the newspaper! You can even search it u on the phone if you are travelling. Or when you hear a word you've never heard of, ask them!
- Read the newspaper. Particularly editorials, opinion articles, feature articles etc. You are going to find a lot of words that you can use in your own essay, especially the argumentative essays you will need to write, assuming you are doing mainstream english.

I hope this helped!

hey thanks for mentioning those tips
there really gonna help me make new habits and hopefully prepare me
thnx
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:23:11 pm »
+1
No worries!

aspiringantelope

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 10:48:29 pm »
+2
Hi!
Though I'm in Year 10, I find reading A+ and exemplary essay's from other students in the class a great way to improve. It might not for you as I learn some new vocabulary and ways to add effective words.
Another tip would to be practice as mentioned above! Write your essays on the forum and some people may be able to help you mark it!!
I also have 'Thesaurus.com' bookmarked in case I am being too repetitive in my essays. It's great to use to find more powerful words that have the exact meaning you are trying to express.

I hope this helped!!
Good luck with your studies, I wish you the best!  :)

ciaoimangel

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 11:46:18 pm »
No worries!
How are you doing?

I have suffered similar feelings to you when I put so much effort that I will definitely get a 100 but I never ever never ever do. It's so frustrating and makes me want to bash my head against the wall or my table.
But don't worry, if you can put a lot of effort in, then I know you have the strength to keep pushing through and getting there in the end. Stay strong!
By the way, what english are you doing?
Tips:

Tips for vocabulary:

I hope this helped!

I am doing mainstream english, too dumb for literature or advanced english :( But thank you guys so much !! Legit sometimes I do not know what i write sometimes where i kinda want to drop to vcal but everyone around me would look down on me.