Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:11 pm

Author Topic: 2007 EXAM - Your Thoughts  (Read 11441 times)  Share 

azhtey

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
2007 EXAM - Your Thoughts
« on: November 14, 2007, 02:43:26 pm »
Since the exam kicks off at 3pm today I thought i would have a thread waiting for you guys to let off some steam about it.

So, how was it :?:
"BROWS"

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 04:42:54 pm »
holy shittt that exam was tight for time. I answered everything but i'm a little disappointed, it's so frustrating when you have more to write and no time to write it! I duno why, cos I've never had a problem with time before, but I didn't even get time to proofread it all. ga there gos 45
I was confident with all the questions apart form the civil pre-trial procedures one, but I just wrote shit. hm.
I'm still shaking! god I don't know why I was so nervous. I struggled to write properly for the first 15 mins cos i was shaking! but then i calmed haha. maybe that affected my time.
god now i have how long to agonise over this?

PMD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 04:44:19 pm »
It was a pretty fair exam, it covered quite a large amount of content, which was good. One thing which threw me off a bit was that question about identifying two relationships between Parliament and the Courts as law-makers early in the paper. I had to give that question a bit of thought to ensure that I didn't give any examples that would be better used on Q13-A. I wasn't expecting a low mark question about the relationship between them, I was really only prepared for it to be part of one of the higher mark questions.

The only other thing which I think I messed up on was going a bit overboard on the "two cases that have changed the division of powers" question... I wrote an entire extra page, which meant I lost about 5-10 minutes of time.
b]2007[/b] - Legal Studies, IT Applications
2008 - Literature, History: Revolutions, International Studies, National Politics, UMEP History

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 04:51:43 pm »
Quote from: "PMD"

The only other thing which I think I messed up on was going a bit overboard on the "two cases that have changed the division of powers" question... I wrote an entire extra page, which meant I lost about 5-10 minutes of time.

yeah i wrote a bit too much for that too, they should have made it worth more marks.
what did you put for the question of the MC? I said that the chick was right, because he could choose to have it heard in the county court (god i hope break and entering is an indictable offence!) and also cos there is more then 1 avenue for appeal (CC against a conviction or a sentence, SC on a point of law)

what did you put for the one about civil pre-trial procedures v. tribunals/ADR?

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 04:53:08 pm »
fuck. the question did ask if there was more than one avenue for appeal from the MC yes?

PMD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »
Quote from: "goosefraba"

yeah i wrote a bit too much for that too, they should have made it worth more marks.
what did you put for the question of the MC? I said that the chick was right, because he could choose to have it heard in the county court (god i hope break and entering is an indictable offence!) and also cos there is more then 1 avenue for appeal (CC against a conviction or a sentence, SC on a point of law)

what did you put for the one about civil pre-trial procedures v. tribunals/ADR?

The two problems I addressed were cost and time - both make dispute resolution less accessible for society. I said something along the lines of that for my intro and then I started off talking about why courts were costly, then said how tribunals addressed this, followed by a bit about how ADR addressed this problem. I went on to do the same for time and then finished off with a statement about how courts, ADR and tribunals each have a place in the legal system.

fuck. the question did ask if there was more than one avenue for appeal from the MC yes?

I'm not sure if it even asked if there were multiple avenues, I seemed to remember it asking whether the friend was right in advising the defendant to have his case hear in the Magistrates Court. I interpreted this to mean that it was an indictable offence being heard summarily.
2008 - Literature, History: Revolutions, International Studies, National Politics, UMEP History

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 05:08:36 pm »

I'm not sure if it even asked if there were multiple avenues, I seemed to remember it asking whether the friend was right in advising the defendant to have his case hear in the Magistrates Court. I interpreted this to mean that it was an indictable offence being heard summarily.

yep and then the second statement was that the friend said he would .. something about appeals. god now i'm stressed i misread this bit.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 05:10:31 pm »
advising? didn't it say something like .. the friend said he could have it heard in another court? and i said the friend was right cos it could also be heard in the county

PMD

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 05:12:09 pm »

yep and then the second statement was that the friend said he would .. something about appeals. god now i'm stressed i misread this bit.

Ah, yup, I remember it said that... but I thought that it was only stimulus material which could be used in your answer. For example:

"One advantage of Brooke(?) having his indictable offence heard summarily in the Magistrate's Court is that it would enable more avenues for him to appeal. Another advantage is the lesser maximum sentence... etc etc".

Jadelz

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 05:16:07 pm »
I really enjoyed that exam especially the last question. I also wasn't sure about breaking and entering...oh well. What question did people choose for no. 13? Jury or precendent?
006 - Renaissance, Biology
2007 - Literature, Legal, Religion and Society, French and Jewish Civilizations (tertiary)

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 05:21:00 pm »
["One advantage of having his indictable offence heard summarily in the Magistrate's Court is that it would enable more avenues for him to appeal. Another advantage is the lesser maximum sentence... etc etc".

fuck. it talked about advantages?
does ANYONE here remember the actual wording?

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 05:33:30 pm »
Quote from: "Jadelz"
I really enjoyed that exam especially the last question. I also wasn't sure about breaking and entering...oh well. What question did people choose for no. 13? Jury or precendent?

I did jury, I liked the question. could have written more if i'd had MORE TIME. but overall i think i did ok on that q.
i am seriously still shaky!

costargh

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:34:22 pm »

Is 'enjoyed' really the right word? lol

Well all in all I am actually pretty satisfied with the exam. It was hard. It was long. But I think I did pretty well compared to everyone else. 2 of my friends who happen to be very very good at legal both didnt finish. One who is an A+ student didnt answer two 8 mark questions. She was nearly in tears. The other one wrote in dot points for the last question.

I had the same problem as you guys. I wrote that Bruce ( i think that was his name) could have it heard in the County Court depending on the severity of the theft and if it was heard on indictment. I also said something about thefts under 25 thousand being indictable offences that can be heard summarily .

I wrote what you wrote goosefraba. point of law to supreme trial division and conviction of sentence to the County.
It didnt talk about advantages. Just asked " if bruce was found guilty where could he appeal to"
something like that
nothing about advantages.

The last question I wanted to do on parliaments but it wasnt even there! lol and i didnt like doctrine of precedent question so i did juries which i rambled on about for a good 3 pages. lol

the civil pre trial question was annoyin. I said soemthign like pleadings and discovry slow down the process. and pleadings and discovery make it too costly. ( legal fees from solicitor) and adrs are just cheaper (no legal rep) and faster (dont have to go back and forth between parties)

Umm.. anything else?
My teacher said that the required mark for an a+ will probably drop because it was too long and was a hard exam compared to last year. Unless they just mark easier on the hard questions compared to last year.

costargh

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 05:39:11 pm »

I did jury, I liked the question. could have written more if i'd had MORE TIME. but overall i think i did ok on that q.
i am seriously still shaky!

Dw goosefraba. a lot of people would have been rushing through. I dont know anyone who had time to go over and check and stuff. The quesations from 9-12 were killers. Way too long
and also wrote over the specified lines for the 2 high court cases

Dw, youll be fine. I found it hard but am actually happy because I finished it all and wrote in decent detail I started writing on the last page for the last question. just the first few lines.

Pencil

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 05:39:48 pm »
oh thank god thanks costa  :D  now i feel less stressed.