Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:02:09 am

Author Topic: What are your VTAC Preferences? (2019 edition)  (Read 10771 times)  Share 

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
What are your VTAC Preferences? (2019 edition)
« on: August 29, 2019, 06:59:05 pm »
+6
Back at it again with an AN tradition: discussing VTAC preferences! (Here’s last year’s one, although last year I posted rather late.)

With August soon coming to a close, VTAC preferences have been open for a few weeks now. Sounds like a good time to ask how that’s all progressing with everyone!

Class of 2019 (or later for the keen beans!):
1. How do your preferences look at the moment?
2. How are you feeling about your preferences?
3. Do you think they’ll change? If so, how?
4. What are you aiming/ hoping for (i.e. careers/ career paths)? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
Re: What are your VTAC Preferences? (2019 edition)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 11:42:32 pm »
+7

(1) Bachelor of Global Studies / Bachelor of Commerce
(2) Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Commerce
(3) Bachelor of Global Studies
(4) Bachelor of Media Communication / Bachelor of Business
(5) Bachelor of Arts / Bachelor of Business

Monash University for all of them ;D

I'm adamant about Global Studies at Monash, but added the commerce double degree very recently. Not sure how I'm feeling about it, as I did two business/commerce subjects for 1/2 last year (legal and busman) but didn't particularly enjoy them. But I'm open to studying it at uni just to see if it's for me, and the commerce faculty seemed great when I went to Monash open day.

Probably not. My school's trying to make me fill up all 8 spaces but it seems unnecessary.

4. What are you aiming/ hoping for (i.e. careers/ career paths)? Will you be going headfirst into the world of higher education or taking a break next year?
Definitely heading straight off to uni next year. In terms of careers, I'm hoping for something in the field of journalism/international relations, hopefully something that lets me travel quite a lot.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 12:12:58 pm »
^Cool! What excites you about Global Studies mostly?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 01:18:54 pm »
+7
(1) Commerce/Science - Monash University   
(2) Commerce/Arts - Monash University   
(3) Arts/Teaching (Graduate degree package) - University Of Melbourne
(4) Science/Arts - Monash University      
(5) Commerce/Finance - Monash University
(6) Commerce - Monash University   
(7) Science - Monash University      
(8) Nursing - Monash University

Pretty good honestly. There was a lot of contemplation about what course I was going to aim for but I think I've finally been able to decide. I'm kinda worried I won't be able to hit a 25 for methods which is why I have the Arts/Teaching as well as the Science/arts courses in there, and worse comes to worse a science or a nursing course if I don't score high enough will suffice.

I doubt it. If I do decide to change them, it'll most likely be for courses that require a lower ATAR to get into if I'm not confident with how I went on the final exams.

I'll most definitely be starting Uni straight away just so I can continue and finish my path of education to get into the working world. In terms of career paths, I'm looking towards completing a master of teaching at either Melbourne Uni/Monash Uni, and then moving on to hopefully teaching secondary students. 
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Remy33

• Forum Regular
  • I don't like food, I love it.
  • Respect: +53
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 10:40:38 pm »
^Cool! What excites you about Global Studies mostly?

It's the course that fits what I'm interested in the most both in terms of what you study and future career pathways. I love learning about different cultures, politics, and taking part in leadership, which is what global studies is all about. The course also guarantees overseas exchange which I am very interested in. Having been on several exchanges before, I know it would be a highly rewarding experience.
<  VCE  2018 – 2019  >
Portuguese  42  |   Russian  35  |  Chinese  36  |  English  50   |  Global Politics  46  |  Methods  41
99.40 ATAR

<  Monash  2020 – 2023   >
B Global Studies  Int'l Relations  |  B Commerce  Economics 

porcupine

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 06:38:53 pm »
+6
1. Medicine (CSP), Monash
2. Medicine (CSP, extended rural cohort), Monash
3. Pharmaceutical Science (Scholars Program), Monash
4. Fine Arts (Animation), Melbourne

Feeling quite unsure with all of them lmao. Idk whether or not medicine is something I want to pursue but I am also incredibly worried about employment prospects should I study animation.

Not sure. If I'm feeling particularly brave I might move fine arts up to #1 and put design at Melbourne next.

No gap year for me, though not too sure about careers atm. My heart says art but my brain says med.
'17 - '19  Eng lang (38), Methods (46), Spesh (47), Physics (49), Chem (42), Bio (45), UCAT (97%ile)

'20 - '22  Bachelor of Fine Arts, Animation and Visual Effects @ Victorian College of the Arts

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 07:06:55 pm »

Feeling quite unsure with all of them lmao. Idk whether or not medicine is something I want to pursue but I am also incredibly worried about employment prospects should I study animation.

Not sure. If I'm feeling particularly brave I might move fine arts up to #1 and put design at Melbourne next.

No gap year for me, though not too sure about careers atm. My heart says art but my brain says med.

The beauty of Melbourne breadth subjects may help you in your prefs ....?

Macrophagee

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 07:11:17 pm »
+4

I think you should follow your heart...if you really want medicine later on there is always post-grad! Plus the Melbourne breadth will allow you to explore your options better.
Good luck!

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 11:36:52 am »
+6
1 - How do your preferences look at the moment?

All of the courses I applied for are at Deakin.
1. Occupational Therapy in Geelong
2. Forensic Science and Bachelor of Criminology in Geelong
3. Health Sciences in Geelong
4. Arts and Science in Geelong
5. Health Sciences in Warrnambool
6. Nursing in Warrnambool
7. Nursing in Geelong
8. Health Sciences and Arts online

2 - How are you feeling about your preferences?
Generally happy either way with my top two. Fine with my preferences 3 and 4. And less sure about all the rest :) Honestly, as long as I get into University, I'll be pretty happy.

3 - Do you think they'll change?
No, I'm not touching them! When it comes to stuff like this I can be incredibly counterproductive.

4 - What are you aiming for?
Long term I am aiming to be a doctor. Long,  long term, I want to go into paediatrics and treat the complex cases of children with special needs. And no, I'm not taking a gap year.

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 03:09:57 pm »
+2

Depends on what makes you happy. You’re spending a lot of money for a higher education and your own future, so personally I’d pick the option that you enjoy the most.  ;D

1 - How do your preferences look at the moment?

All of the courses I applied for are at Deakin.
1. Occupational Therapy in Geelong
2. Forensic Science and Bachelor of Criminology in Geelong
3. Health Sciences in Geelong
4. Arts and Science in Geelong
5. Health Sciences in Warrnambool
6. Nursing in Warrnambool
7. Nursing in Geelong
8. Health Sciences and Arts online

2 - How are you feeling about your preferences?
Generally happy either way with my top two. Fine with my preferences 3 and 4. And less sure about all the rest :) Honestly, as long as I get into University, I'll be pretty happy.

3 - Do you think they'll change?
No, I'm not touching them! When it comes to stuff like this I can be incredibly counterproductive.

4 - What are you aiming for?
Long term I am aiming to be a doctor. Long,  long term, I want to go into paediatrics and treat the complex cases of children with special needs. And no, I'm not taking a gap year.
What draws you to Forensic science and Criminology, given you want to be a paediatrician? (Genuinely curious here.)
VTAC Info Thread

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 04:57:47 pm »
+5
What draws you to Forensic science and Criminology, given you want to be a paediatrician? (Genuinely curious here.)

I can see why this might seem odd :) I've had people react simarly but it's really difficult to describe. On a basic level, I've always found it interesting - building up a factual story with only parts of the picture. I suppose it's like medicine in that way; clues or symptoms present themselves in common and not so common ways and you have to figure it out, except with medicine you go a few steps further in treatment.
I also think growing my "problem solving" abilities will further aid me in being a paediatrician. I love medicine in general, especially the aspect of treating children, but the complexity of having special needs often complicates treatment plans, meaning a simple health condition can become a major problem for the patient in question due to other aspects of their health. Solving that puzzle, and managing the balancing act of patient care - what is best for the patient versus the effects that treatment will have on their other health issues - is fascinating to me. Call me crazy :)
Hope that answered your question!

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 05:04:46 pm »
+2
I can see why this might seem odd :) I've had people react simarly but it's really difficult to describe. On a basic level, I've always found it interesting - building up a factual story with only parts of the picture. I suppose it's like medicine in that way; clues or symptoms present themselves in common and not so common ways and you have to figure it out, except with medicine you go a few steps further in treatment.
I also think growing my "problem solving" abilities will further aid me in being a paediatrician. I love medicine in general, especially the aspect of treating children, but the complexity of having special needs often complicates treatment plans, meaning a simple health condition can become a major problem for the patient in question due to other aspects of their health. Solving that puzzle, and managing the balancing act of patient care - what is best for the patient versus the effects that treatment will have on their other health issues - is fascinating to me. Call me crazy :)

I think we found the next Sherlock Holmes.  ;D Good luck with it all 

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 06:22:02 pm »
+1
I think we found the next Sherlock Holmes.  ;D Good luck with it all

Haha! Thank you  :)

HolHen

• Adventurer
  • Shine on <3
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 07:30:19 pm »
+5
Hi, I'm planning on putting Space Science down as my first preference at RMIT and I'm very excited!  :)
It is the first time it is running next year so I was wondering whether anyone knows if there is a possibility it won't run? Its on the VTAC website but does this guarantee that it will still go ahead next year??

Thanks
2018:
Texts and Traditions [42]
2019:
Methods [44]   Spec [50]  Physics [42]   Japanese SL [43]   English [40]

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 08:05:45 pm »
+1

It makes sense when you put it that way. :)

Hi, I'm planning on putting Space Science down as my first preference at RMIT and I'm very excited!  :)
It is the first time it is running next year so I was wondering whether anyone knows if there is a possibility it won't run? Its on the VTAC website but does this guarantee that it will still go ahead next year??

Thanks
Usually if there’s enough interest, it’ll run. Given that it’s a new course, usually as long as around 10-15 people ask for it too, you should be okay. Chances look fairly good, especially since RMIT have had similar courses before (e.g. aerospace engineering) and are a reasonably reputable uni in general.

Good luck! Hope it runs. :)
VTAC Info Thread