Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 06:18:42 am

Author Topic: Free SOR Essay Marking!  (Read 76932 times)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
Re: Free SOR Essay Marking!
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2017, 11:28:17 pm »
Hey, I'm back! Hope it's okay for you to have a look at this intro for me. Thanks!

Sure!

Spoiler
Assess the contributions of ONE significant person (other than Abraham and Moses) to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices.

The prophet Isaiah has had a significant impact on the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices both in his time and centuries through the contemporary society. Slight expression issue there, I'd just say, "and for contemporary society," but great start! He was a prophet from Judah who began his ministry in 740 BC during the turbulent period of Assyrian expansion and the subsequent decline of Israel in the north. Known for his long ministry, Isaiah achieved the considerable status of ‘the prince of the prophets’ through his many significant contributions to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices. Perhaps a tad too much biographical information - But this is a nitpick. You could get straight into the contributions. Some of which are his oracles of the messiah, his warnings about punishment and salvation, his role as a political leader, and his passionate advocacy for social justice. Nice lay out of contributions - I'd expect you to elaborate on their meaning for the adherent in each paragraph. Thus, it can be seen his contributions were undeniably significant to the development and expression of Jewish beliefs and practices.  Good!

I think this is a solid intro! Clear judgement made and a nice structure lay out. You could do more to link the contributions to the beliefs/practices more explicitly in the introduction to more completely answer the question ;D

• Trendsetter
« Reply #121 on: June 11, 2017, 07:37:55 pm »
Hey so I finally finished my essay and I'm a fair bit over the world limit. I was wondering if you could tell me if anything is irrelevant or repetitive. Also, I really want 20/20 so please be harsh because our cohort is really strong. Also the scaffold asks for variants which I'm unsure as to how to incorporate them. Is putting the Catholic example enough? Thanks in advance :)

Spoiler
The attainment of world peace demands religious traditions to coincide in the confrontation of hostility in order to achieve a global state of solidarity. World Peace requires a unified sense of wellbeing and freedom from conflict, fear, and injustice. However, world peace can only be achieved if an individual acquires inner peace; relating to the individual’s tranquillity and their connection with God. These notions are reflected throughout the Bhagavad Gita and the New Testament of the Bible as they reiterate the importance of solidarity and foster the adherent in connecting to their beliefs leading to an inner peace which inevitably evokes the entrenchment of world peace. 

Principal teachings by Jesus Christ in the New Testament are imperative to connecting the Christian adherent to an inner peace and demonstrating how their beliefs transcend into attaining world peace. Peace is at the heart of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ as he is the son of God from whom all peace derived and is said to have acted in perfect righteousness and hence is commonly referred to as the ‘Prince of Peace’ (Isaiah 9:6). As Jesus models a life for peace, he is subsequently what adherents strive to emulate. Jesus constantly endeavoured to promote solidarity and foster greater tolerance reflected in ‘For Christ Jesus is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility.’ (Ephesians 2:14) It is thus evident that peace is a gift from God which guides adherents to obtain inner peace through God before dispersing peace to the broader community. This is demonstrated by the director of ‘TEAR Australia’ stating ‘I find my motivation for peacebuilding in the teachings of Jesus’ reflecting that solidarity and world peace primarily require an individual’s inner peace. The notion of peace is further emphasised in the Catholic Church at the ending of Mass when the Priest calls the community to go out in peace illustrating that peace is continuously being put into action today. Thus it is evident in the New Testament that Jesus’ teachings on love, compassion, and acceptance guide adherents to a sense of inner peace which acts as a catalyst for solidarity as the prosperity of peace is enabled to flourish throughout the world.

Christian adherents are presented with numerous opportunities to get involved in a vast array of peacemaking initiatives in order to actively express their principal beliefs and values evident in the New Testament. A significant focus for many ecumenical groups is on global peace and to achieve this, they focus on values expressed in the New Testament such as justice, gratitude, forgiveness and humility. Jesus’ Golden Rule; ‘Do unto others as you would have them do to you’ (Luke 6:31) reflects this notion as adherents are encouraged to act purely and in justice reflecting that of Jesus. Initiatives such as the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) emphasises ecumenism as it aims to ‘bring God’s love and grace to all.’ This is reflected by Pope Francis speaking at the Circus Maximus stating “It (CCR) was born ecumenical because it is the Holy Spirit that creates unity and the same Holy Spirit that gave the inspiration for it to be thus.” Pope Francis also encouraged individuals to appreciate the common humanity we share in the “One Minute for Peace” initiative held on the 8th of June 2017 stating “In our days, there is a great need to pray – Christians, Jews, and Muslims – for peace.” Past popes have similarly advocated for world peace such as Pope John XXIII in his Pacem in Terris (Peace in the World) encyclical. This has led to the world day of peace on the 1st of January where the Pope publishes a message to Christian adherents and political and religious leaders about opportunities for individuals to promote solidarity and bring about peace. Thus it is clear how organisations and initiatives primarily express the importance of solidarity in fostering individuals and communities towards world peace.

The basis of Hindu interpretation and teachings of peace lie in the Hindu sacred text The Bhagavad Gita. Individuals are instructed to live peaceful, tolerant lives that reflect the teachings of Hindu avatars and gods such as Lord Krishna. A key belief in the Hindu application of peace is dharma which is firmly entrenched in ahimsa including the qualities of compassion, acceptance and tolerance. Adherents that actively apply this concept to their everyday life not only foster a sense of inner peace but also attiain a genuine sense of harmony and peace within their community. Participating in activities such as yoga and meditation ‘…controls the mind and the senses, purifying the heart and fixes the mind (on God)’ (Bhagavad Gita 6:12) which allows adherents to attain a sense of inner peace which can be translated into spreading peace throughout the community. Mohandas Gandhi further explains this as “Ahimsa… comes from strength, and the strength is from God, not man. Ahimsa is always from within.”  This guidance has been followed by the ‘Dr Yogi CM’ organisation which supports ‘Yoga /Meditation and Satsang programs.’ Dr Yogi ‘developed a program giving spiritual guidance and values… to the community’ with the aim of ‘love, peace and service to humankind.’ Thus it clear how teachings of Hinduism in the Bhagavad Gita induce adherents to put their faith into action and practice their religious duty of Dharma throughout the pursuit for world peace.

Organisations and initiatives within Hinduism play a significant role in reiterating the teachings in the Bhagavad Gita in an attempt to confront hostility and promote solidarity. In Hinduism, peace is not only important within oneself, but it is highly important to act peacefully toward others. A key Hindu belief is that of Karma whereby adherents constantly strive towards a permanent state of peace known as Moksha. The Bhagavad Gita states, ‘the way of peace is achieved through discipline’ which ties into the teaching of Ahimsa and correct Dharma. As actions towards others can determine the outcome of future rebirths, adherents must observe these core teachings to ensure they can achieve complete peace. The Hindu Council of Australia aims to guide adherents by this notion with a mission of ‘spiritual and religious leaders committed to mutual respect, peace, nonviolence and cooperation between…ethnic, racial, cultural and religious communities.’ Gandhi additionally brought the ancient concept of ahimsa back into his society as he reiterated that ‘Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.’ Hence, Gandhi campaigned against untouchability, and through his confrontations with the hostility of hypocritical Hindus, challenged adherents to behave in a manner that was congruent with Hindu belief. This guidance is continually applicable today evident on the International Day of Non-violence on the 2nd of October (Gandhi’s birthday) whereby adherents put into action the teachings of Gandhi as they endeavour in promoting solidarity by acting in ahimsa. Thus it is clear how the teachings throughout the Bhagavad Gita have been reiterated by influential scholars and organisations which allow adherents to express their beliefs such as ahimsa throughout communities; therefore, contributing to world peace.

The principal teachings about peace in both the sacred texts of Christianity and Hinduism have a profound effect on the ways and extent to which these traditions guide adherents to contribute to world peace. The teachings of these religious traditions have distinct ideas and ways in which to promote solidarity and tolerance; however, both religious traditions attempt to pursue the immense potential that harmony within religious traditions can achieve through their respective initiatives and organisations, and the continuing effects of key scholars in fostering genuine world peace.

Just in case you can't get it done today which I would completely understand; don't worry about marking it because it is due tomorrow and I don't want you to spend your valuable time marking something for no reason. Not trying to be pushy; just would hate for you to spend 30-40 minutes on marking for no avail.

Mod; added spoiler and merged posts

« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 05:54:16 pm by elysepopplewell »

camillablome

• Adventurer
« Reply #122 on: June 12, 2017, 03:32:13 pm »
Hi Guys!
I know its not an essay but this is a short answer response to the question 'outline the role of the ecumenical dialogue in Australia. Include National Council of Churches and/or NSW ecumenical council'. Any feedback would be great- I'm worried i haven't focused enough on the impact...
Thankyou so much!

Ecumenism is the movement towards unity amongst the Christian denominations. It has had a significant impact on the development of Christianity and its role within the broader Australian society. The Second Vatican Council decree on ecumenism states, “The restoration of unity among all Christians is one of the principle concern of the Second Vatican Council.” Under the guidance of Pope John XXIII there was a principle focus on dialogue and mutual understanding between the different Christian denominations, in the hope to move away from secularism. Ecumenism exists on various levels from joint commissions to local parish levels. The emergence of the National Council of Churches in Australia (NCCA) and the NSW Ecumenical Council were significant steps towards the acknowledgement that the unity of Christ between Christian churches far outweighs their diversity in practice and beliefs. The NCCA is an ecumenical body established in 1994 and is comprised of 19 church members across Australia including the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Church. It aims to deepen the relationship of member churches "in order to express more visibly the unity willed by Christ” by working together in areas of social justice, education and theological, spiritual and political lobbying. An example of the NCCA guiding the churches to work together is the NCCA’s “Christian World Services” which is responsible for international programs such as “Make Poverty History” and the “National Program on Refugees and Displaced people.” The NSW Ecumenical Council was established in 1982 and is a fellowship of 16 churches that identifies that working together enables member churches to express common concerns on important issues in our society. The unification of the Christian church denominations to collectively advocate and support social justice initiatives has impacted significantly on the Christian landscape as well as the broader community.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
« Reply #123 on: June 12, 2017, 07:02:40 pm »
Hey so I finally finished my essay and I'm a fair bit over the world limit. I was wondering if you could tell me if anything is irrelevant or repetitive. Also, I really want 20/20 so please be harsh because our cohort is really strong. Also the scaffold asks for variants which I'm unsure as to how to incorporate them. Is putting the Catholic example enough? Thanks in advance :)

Hey! Thanks for letting me know about the due date for this, I've marked it now for you :) You haven't attached the essay question so I'm assuming it's about Christianity and Hinduism and Peace - specifically the way inner and world peace work together?

Spoiler
The attainment of world peace demands religious traditions to coincide in the confrontation of hostility in order to achieve a global state of solidarity. World Peace requires a unified sense of wellbeing and freedom from conflict, fear, and injustice. However, world peace can only be achieved if an individual acquires inner peace; relating to the individual’s tranquillity and their connection with God. These notions are reflected throughout the Bhagavad Gita and the New Testament of the Bible as they reiterate the importance of solidarity and foster the adherent in connecting to their beliefs leading to an inner peace which inevitably evokes the entrenchment of world peace. 

Principal teachings by Jesus Christ in the New Testament are imperative to connecting the Christian adherent to an inner peace and demonstrating how their beliefs transcend into attaining world peace. Peace is at the heart of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ as he is the son of God from whom all peace derived and is said to have acted in perfect righteousness and hence is commonly referred to as the ‘Prince of Peace’ (Isaiah 9:6). Great quote - although this sentence in total is quite long and descriptive. The reference at the end makes it worth it, but I still think you could cull from this sentence. As Jesus models a life for peace, he is subsequently what adherents strive to emulate. Jesus constantly endeavoured to promote solidarity and foster greater tolerance reflected in ‘For Christ Jesus is our peace, who has made us both one, and has broken down the dividing wall of hostility.’ (Ephesians 2:14) It is thus evident that peace is a gift from God which guides adherents to obtain inner peace through God before dispersing peace to the broader community. Great analysis. This is demonstrated by the director of ‘TEAR Australia’ stating ‘I find my motivation for peacebuilding in the teachings of Jesus’ reflecting that solidarity and world peace primarily require an individual’s inner peace. The notion of peace is further emphasised in the Catholic Church at the ending of Mass when the Priest calls the community to go out in peace illustrating that peace is continuously being put into action today. Very nice! Good use of practical example, but also good engagement with denominations. Thus it is evident in the New Testament that Jesus’ teachings on love, compassion, and acceptance guide adherents to a sense of inner peace which acts as a catalyst for solidarity as the prosperity of peace is enabled to flourish throughout the world. You mention the "principal teachings" of peace in Christianity at the start of this paragraph, but you haven't explicitly talked about them. Instead, you've talked about the way Christianity promotes peace as Jesus is a role model, which is great, we need that. Jesus' ministry is really important when discussing Christianity and Peace. But, I think there are other "principal teachings" - like that about social justice, that you could include.

Christian adherents are presented with numerous opportunities to get involved in a vast array of peacemaking initiatives in order to actively express their principal beliefs and values evident in the New Testament. A significant focus for many ecumenical groups is on global peace and to achieve this, they focus on values expressed in the New Testament such as justice, gratitude, forgiveness and humility. Jesus’ Golden Rule; ‘Do unto others as you would have them do to you’ (Luke 6:31) reflects this notion as adherents are encouraged to act purely and in justice reflecting that of Jesus. Initiatives such as the Catholic Charismatic Renewal (CCR) emphasises ecumenism as it aims to ‘bring God’s love and grace to all.’ This is reflected by Pope Francis speaking at the Circus Maximus stating “It (CCR) was born ecumenical because it is the Holy Spirit that creates unity and the same Holy Spirit that gave the inspiration for it to be thus.” Pope Francis also encouraged individuals to appreciate the common humanity we share in the “One Minute for Peace” initiative held on the 8th of June 2017 stating “In our days, there is a great need to pray – Christians, Jews, and Muslims – for peace.” Past popes have similarly advocated for world peace such as Pope John XXIII in his Pacem in Terris (Peace in the World) encyclical. This has led to the world day of peace on the 1st of January where the Pope publishes a message to Christian adherents and political and religious leaders about opportunities for individuals to promote solidarity and bring about peace. Thus it is clear how organisations and initiatives primarily express the importance of solidarity in fostering individuals and communities towards world peace. This is an extremely dense paragraph, which is great because it's backed up, there's not a lot of waffling, etc. Unfortunately without knowing your essay question I can't comment on how skilfully you're dealing with the question. I will also add as an observation that this is the second paragraph where you've engaged with Catholicism, and not any other denomination. Depending on what your criteria expects of you, this could be a problem. It's not so much that you're focusing on Catholicism as the problem, it's more the lack of engagement with other essays. You say you have a strong cohort, and I imagine the strongest responses would be showing a confidence in dealing with at least two denominations and their individual takes on it - so that's a space for improvement for you! :)
(I'll just add here that I haven't studied Hinduism, but hopefully I can be helpful still!)
The basis of Hindu interpretation and teachings of peace lie in the Hindu sacred text The Bhagavad Gita. Individuals are instructed to live peaceful, tolerant lives that reflect the teachings of Hindu avatars and gods such as Lord Krishna. A key belief in the Hindu application of peace is dharma which is firmly entrenched in ahimsa including the qualities of compassion, acceptance and tolerance. Adherents that actively apply this concept to their everyday life not only foster a sense of inner peace but also attiain a genuine sense of harmony and peace within their community. Participating in activities such as yoga and meditation ‘…controls the mind and the senses, purifying the heart and fixes the mind (on God)’ (Bhagavad Gita 6:12) which allows adherents to attain a sense of inner peace which can be translated into spreading peace throughout the community. Mohandas Gandhi further explains this as “Ahimsa… comes from strength, and the strength is from God, not man. Ahimsa is always from within.”  This guidance has been followed by the ‘Dr Yogi CM’ organisation which supports ‘Yoga /Meditation and Satsang programs.’ Dr Yogi ‘developed a program giving spiritual guidance and values… to the community’ with the aim of ‘love, peace and service to humankind.’ Good proof of the way the teachings of peace have been expressed. Thus it clear how teachings of Hinduism in the Bhagavad Gita induce adherents to put their faith into action and practice their religious duty of Dharma throughout the pursuit for world peace.

Organisations and initiatives within Hinduism play a significant role in reiterating the teachings in the Bhagavad Gita in an attempt to confront hostility and promote solidarity. This is one of the few times you've engaged with the idea "hostility" as brought up in your introduction, in an explicit way. Without knowing your essay question I can't assess how important this is - but in the assumption that it is your thesis, it should feature a little more strongly just to thread that uniform notion through the entire work. In Hinduism, peace is not only important within oneself, but it is highly important to act peacefully toward others. A key Hindu belief is that of Karma whereby adherents constantly strive towards a permanent state of peace known as Moksha. The Bhagavad Gita states, ‘the way of peace is achieved through discipline’ which ties into the teaching of Ahimsa and correct Dharma. As actions towards others can determine the outcome of future rebirths, adherents must observe these core teachings to ensure they can achieve complete peace. The Hindu Council of Australia aims to guide adherents by this notion with a mission of ‘spiritual and religious leaders committed to mutual respect, peace, nonviolence and cooperation between…ethnic, racial, cultural and religious communities.’ Good quote! Gandhi additionally brought the ancient concept of ahimsa back into his society as he reiterated that ‘Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of man.’ Hence, Gandhi campaigned against untouchability, and through his confrontations with the hostility of hypocritical Hindus, challenged adherents to behave in a manner that was congruent with Hindu belief. This guidance is continually applicable today evident on the International Day of Non-violence on the 2nd of October (Gandhi’s birthday) whereby adherents put into action the teachings of Gandhi as they endeavour in promoting solidarity by acting in ahimsa. Thus it is clear how the teachings throughout the Bhagavad Gita have been reiterated by influential scholars and organisations which allow adherents to express their beliefs such as ahimsa throughout communities; therefore, contributing to world peace. This paragraph is an excellent example of the way you manage to engage with a structure that is both organised and fluid.
 You really round off your paragraphs well - you write beautifully.

The principal teachings about peace in both the sacred texts of Christianity and Hinduism have a profound effect on the ways and extent to which these traditions guide adherents to contribute to world peace. The teachings of these religious traditions have distinct ideas and ways in which to promote solidarity and tolerance; however, both religious traditions attempt to pursue the immense potential that harmony within religious traditions can achieve through their respective initiatives and organisations, and the continuing effects of key scholars in fostering genuine world peace.
Overall: great essay. Very dense - it's really hard for me to tell you what to cull. It's like everything fits together perfectly, you're a wonderful writer. Everything is well supported. I do wonder about the way you're engaging with a thesis/the essay question, but I can't comment on that. Also, the clarity of the way you express exactly what the principal teachings on ethics are can be improved. It won't take up a whole lot of words - it's just about saying..."Adherents look to the ministry of Jesus when seeking principal teachings of peace...the Pope says...."

All the best - hopefully this gives you a hand to tighten up the essay a little, although I can ensure you I'm impressed by it!

Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2017, 07:10:21 pm »
Hi Guys!
I know its not an essay but this is a short answer response to the question 'outline the role of the ecumenical dialogue in Australia. Include National Council of Churches and/or NSW ecumenical council'. Any feedback would be great- I'm worried i haven't focused enough on the impact...
Thankyou so much!

Hey Camilla - thanks for posting! I'll absolutely take a look at this paragraph for you :)

Ecumenism is the movement towards unity amongst the Christian denominations. It The ecumenical movement* has had a significant impact on the development of Christianity and its role within the broader Australian society. The Second Vatican Council decree on ecumenism states, “The restoration of unity among all Christians is one of the principle concern of the Second Vatican Council.” Under the guidance of Pope John XXIII there was a principle focus on dialogue and mutual understanding between the different Christian denominations, in the hope to move away from secularism. Ecumenism exists on various levels from joint commissions to local parish levels. The emergence of the National Council of Churches in Australia (NCCA) and the NSW Ecumenical Council were significant steps towards the acknowledgement that the unity of Christ between Christian churches far outweighs their diversity in practice and beliefs. The NCCA is an ecumenical body established in 1994 and is comprised of 19 church members across Australia including the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Church. It aims to deepen the relationship of member churches "in order to express more visibly the unity willed by Christ” by working together in areas of social justice, education and theological, spiritual and political lobbying. An example of the NCCA guiding the churches to work together is the NCCA’s “Christian World Services” which is responsible for international programs such as “Make Poverty History” and the “National Program on Refugees and Displaced people.” The NSW Ecumenical Council was established in 1982 and is a fellowship of 16 churches that identifies that working together enables member churches to express common concerns on important issues in our society. The unification of the Christian church denominations to collectively advocate and support social justice initiatives has impacted significantly on the Christian landscape as well as the broader community.
I think you're right in identifying the way you've dealt with "the role" can use a little bit of work. You've got everything you need to know in place, it's just about the expression and being succinct with exactly what information you need to share. For example, you talk about the international programs which is great evidence, but you've not made comment on the significance of these programs, thus mitigating the argument a little. You are only asked to outline,
 so there's leeway. But at the present time, your examples of the programs don't show much - they just say they exist. Are you saying, "this is the great work that comes about with ecumenism?" or are you saying, "These are ecumenical programs?" There are a few things you could cull, like the bio of the NCCA - that can be briefer.

This is what I would include in my paragraph:

-The need for ecumenism in this time
-The responsibility of the Churches to work together, as has been officially organised by NCCA.
-The way the Australian landscape specifically needs ecumenism.
As a bonus: potentially talk about the examples of great international programs they've created.

Hopefully this gives you a hand! It's just about tightening up your response a little more. Everything you need to know is there, it's just about expression :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #125 on: June 12, 2017, 08:14:18 pm »
All the best - hopefully this gives you a hand to tighten up the essay a little, although I can ensure you I'm impressed by it![/b]

Hey Elyse, thanks heaps for this. Really appreciate you doing such a thorough job in a short amount of time. I am so sorry that I forgot to mention that this was a follow up from the essay ('Outline how peace is expressed through the sacred texts of TWO religious traditions and demonstrate how this provides guidance for the attainment of world peace.') that had the quote you said was really appropriate and relevant. It was in the SOR question thread. I think I will incorporate the catholic example into the second paragraph and focus more on Anglican in the first to hopefully compete at the top. Thanks for all the confidence building comments as it really encourages me to go back and improve my essay. Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:27:03 pm by jamonwindeyer »

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #126 on: June 12, 2017, 09:24:39 pm »
Hey Elyse, thanks heaps for this. Really appreciate you doing such a thorough job in a short amount of time. I am so sorry that I forgot to mention that this was a follow up from the essay ('Outline how peace is expressed through the sacred texts of TWO religious traditions and demonstrate how this provides guidance for the attainment of world peace.') that had the quote you said was really appropriate and relevant. It was in the SOR question thread. I think I will incorporate the catholic example into the second paragraph and focus more on Anglican in the first to hopefully compete at the top. Thanks for all the confidence building comments as it really encourages me to go back and improve my essay. Thanks again :)

Ohh! Sorry I didn't make the connection. Well in that case I think you've done a better job of answering the question than what I first anticipated. I'm keen to know how you go. I didn't study SOR2 myself so I haven't written a response like this, but I've read a lot now so I'm still learning too. Hopefully this was handy! :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #127 on: June 12, 2017, 10:59:48 pm »
Ohh! Sorry I didn't make the connection. Well in that case I think you've done a better job of answering the question than what I first anticipated. I'm keen to know how you go. I didn't study SOR2 myself so I haven't written a response like this, but I've read a lot now so I'm still learning too. Hopefully this was handy! :)

I spent the last two hours making more explicit references and adding variants to each paragraph. I'll let you know for sure, and your help has undoubtedly improved my essay. Jamon took me from a 13 to a 19/20 so I have realised the effectiveness and importance of your feedback. Could only wish we got feedback like yours at school. Thanks again :)

camillablome

• Adventurer
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2017, 09:19:50 am »
Thankyou so much Elyse! I'll make those changes now. Here is another response to 'Outline the importance of Mabo for the Land Rights movement.' If you have time, i would love for you to read through this one as well!

The land rights movement recognises the inextricable connection between land and Indigenous spirituality and identity. The land is the basis for the strong connection held with the ancestral beings providing them with links to the Dreaming as well as kinship bonds and totems. Without the land Aboriginal people are unable to stay connected to their ancestors through ceremonies and also cannot preserve and celebrate sacred sites. As stated by Nyaparu Rose, a Nyangumarta Elder, “Native title is very important to us because it allows us to get our country back, to protect our spirits and sites, to go camping, hunting and fishing. Before native title we never had any recognition as traditional owners, we had no rights in our own country.” Indigenous Australians have struggled with the land rights battle since European invasion in 1788. The Land Rights Movement is both a religious and political movement to secure the rights and re-establish the spiritual links of Aboriginal people to their land and culture. From the 1960s onwards, many tribes attempted to reclaim their land to be able to reconnect with their spirituality. The Mabo case was initiated by five Indigenous plaintiffs, led by Eddie Mabo, from the Murray Islands in the Torres Strait, where the Meriam people were fighting for land rights. In June 1992, the High Court of Australia, ruled in favour of Eddie Mabo, stating that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait had a continuous link with the land and continued to practice laws and the customs associated with the land before British colonisation. This was immensely important as it over threw the legal fiction of ‘terra nullius’, through the acknowledgement that there was an error in common law that failed to recognise native title. Despite the Mabo judgement being regarded as a landmarking decision by non-Indigenous Australians, the Aboriginal perspective can differ as the case merely represents a marginal shift in the way Australian law views native title. Regardless of the perspective taken, the Mabo judgment did achieve some measure of justice for Aboriginal people. It opened the way for them to make claims in respect of their traditional lands. It set precedent for the Native Title Act 1993, the Wik Decision in 1996 and for the ongoing land rights movement.

mattmorley

• Trailblazer
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2017, 03:44:17 pm »
Hey,

I was going to post my religion and peace essay here, but we have to submit through turnitin, so  i think my whole essay will come up 100% plagarism due to it being here.

Is there anyway i could get it marked by you guys without having the issue stated above.
Thanks
HSC 2017

Standard English
General Maths
Studies of Religion 2
Business Studies
Geography

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »
Hey,

I was going to post my religion and peace essay here, but we have to submit through turnitin, so  i think my whole essay will come up 100% plagarism due to it being here.

Is there anyway i could get it marked by you guys without having the issue stated above.
Thanks

Hey! Unfortunately we can only mark in this thread - The essay is posted with your account, linked to your name, email and school - It is your essay and that is easy to prove!! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2017, 12:23:33 am »
Thankyou so much Elyse! I'll make those changes now. Here is another response to 'Outline the importance of Mabo for the Land Rights movement.' If you have time, i would love for you to read through this one as well!

The land rights movement recognises the inextricable connection between land and Indigenous spirituality and identity. Great start! But capitalise LRM The land is the basis for the strong connection held with the ancestral beings providing them with links to the Dreaming as well as kinship bonds and totems. Without the land Aboriginal people are unable to stay connected to their ancestors through ceremonies and also cannot preserve and celebrate sacred sites. As stated by Nyaparu Rose, a Nyangumarta Elder, “Native title is very important to us because it allows us to get our country back, to protect our spirits and sites, to go camping, hunting and fishing. Before native title we never had any recognition as traditional owners, we had no rights in our own country.” I haven't seen a long-form quote like this in a short answer for SOR before. Sometimes if there is a stimulus it's engaged, but overall it's not something I see often. In this case, I think it might be a little too long for a short answer response, just because it kind of steals the show. I'd just use an ellipsis somewhere in there to condense it to something shorter. Indigenous Australians have struggled with the land rights battle since European invasion in 1788. Although true, it doesn't add anything to your argument, it won't get you marks because it doesn't analyse the importance.[/b] The Land Rights Movement is both a religious and political movement to secure the rights and re-establish the spiritual links of Aboriginal people to their land and culture. From the 1960s onwards, many tribes attempted to reclaim their land to be able to reconnect with their spirituality. The Mabo case was initiated by five Indigenous plaintiffs, led by Eddie Mabo, from the Murray Islands in the Torres Strait, where the Meriam people were fighting for land rights. In June 1992, the High Court of Australia, ruled in favour of Eddie Mabo, stating that the Aboriginal and Torres Strait had a continuous link with the land and continued to practice laws and the customs associated with the land before British colonisation. Similarly, this bit here is retell and while it's excellent knowledge for your study notes, it isn't analysing the importance. So I'd cull it   This was immensely important as it over threw the legal fiction of ‘terra nullius’, through the acknowledgement that there was an error in common law that failed to recognise native title. Despite the Mabo judgement being regarded as a landmarking decision by non-Indigenous Australians, the Aboriginal perspective can differ as the case merely represents a marginal shift in the way Australian law views native title. Regardless of the perspective taken, the Mabo judgment did achieve some measure of justice for Aboriginal people. It opened the way for them to make claims in respect of their traditional lands. It set precedent for the Native Title Act 1993, the Wik Decision in 1996 and for the ongoing land rights movement.

You definitely have this topic down pat! Really, you're all over it! But this response is a tad too long because you engage with things outside of the "importance" of the movement. I know that understanding the context proves the importance, but your teacher already knows the context - they just need to know that you know the importance! Hope this makes sense :)

• Trendsetter
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2017, 05:00:09 pm »
I'm keen to know how you go. I didn't study SOR2 myself so I haven't written a response like this, but I've read a lot now so I'm still learning too. Hopefully this was handy! :)

Hey, so we got our essays back today and I got 18/20 so thanks again for the significant help in getting me there. However, my teacher wrote that it would have been a 20 if I integrated the quote. We only got them back as were leaving so I couldn't question the absurdity of that as my essay has clear references throughout. I'm extremely confused and the only reasonable explanation I have construed is that I didn't explicitly state 'reflected in the quote' but to me, that sounds superfluous and verbose.

georgiia

• Trendsetter
« Reply #133 on: June 30, 2017, 06:45:43 pm »
Hi, may I please have my essay in response to the 2013 HSC question marked?
I've attached it bellow.

Thank You!! ;)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2017, 10:06:46 pm »
Hi, may I please have my essay in response to the 2013 HSC question marked?
I've attached it bellow.

Thank You!! ;)

Hey Georgia! Sure thing, your essay is attached in the spoiler below:

Essay with Feedback
Discuss the relationship between at least TWO of the aspects shown in the diagram and the way they contribute to Islam as a living religious tradition.

Despite the dichotomous relationship within aspects of the Islamic faith, a ubiquitous sense of unity is maintained through the strong interrelationships which are common in all areas of this living and dynamic religious tradition. Great start, but perhaps a little bit vague - Perhaps listing the key aspects you are referring to would help? Nitpick, it works well! ‘Dynamic’ tradition refers to the suitability and adaptability of the Islamic faith, while strong foundations of fundamental beliefs are maintained. ‘Living’ refers to the notion that Islamic tradition is active and relevant over ever-changing contexts. Nice way to spin the definitions to answer the question. The impact of Sayyid Qutb, the significance of the Hajj, and Islamic ethical teachings on sexual ethics all embody the core, fundamental beliefs of Islam while also allowing room for diversity and freedom of view within the life of adherents. Such unity and diversity in terms of significant person, practice and ethics of Islam fosters the nature of a dynamic and living religious tradition. Excellent, I think this introduction works very well, and is also unique - Will definitely command the attention of your marker.

The central dogma of the living Islamic theocentric tradition, one which binds aspects of people, practise and ethics, is the intrinsic belief in Tawhid (the oneness of Allah); “There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah” (Shahada). This unification of thought has enabled a profound sense of community which reaches beyond the walls of variants and as John Bowker expressed in his 1995 publication ‘What Muslims Believe’ - “From that unity (Tawhid), all other unites flow, including the unity of the whole human population as a single Umma under God”. Excellent explanation of the importance of Tawhid, but I'd prefer a more explicit reference to dynamic/living tradition, to more directly answer the question a little bit earlier. Essentially, I think the setup could be quicker. It is this very belief which enables the unification of Hajj [sunni and shi’te within the significant practice of Hajj, Sayyid Qutb’s impact on Islam, and Islamic ethical teachings on sexual ethics to constitute Islam as a living religious tradition. The practise of Hajj is built on the notion of expressing the belief in Tawhid. The pilgrimage symbolises a submission to the Will of Allah through which the individual feels a innate connection with God. Talbiyah, the public statement of submission to Allah; “Here I am God, at thy command”, is chanted as pilgrims put on the Ihram and purifying rid themselves of all worldly concerns, and when they circumambulate the Ka’ba (Tawaf). Be sure to make explicit references to the religion being dynamic/living, not necessarily with those words specifically, but be sure to link the aspects not only to Tawhid, but to the idea of the question too. Qutb’s ideologies, that rejection of Jahilia could only come through ultimate submission to one God, further model the belief in Tawhid. In his published manifesto ‘Milestones’ (1964), Qutb accounted for Allah as the sovereign ruler of humanity; “By ignoring God’s revelation, man rebels against the sovereignty of God on earth” (p.g 8). Excellent references. Islamic ethical teachings are grounded on the strict laws defined in the Qur’an; the primary source of Allah’s revelation. Sexual intercourse within the bounds of matrimony is considered a form of ibadah (worship) and enjoyment is encouraged by Allah. Furthering this belief in Tawhid is the teaching of procreation for the expansion of Allah’s family. Links to Tawhid here are perhaps a little weaker than your other two aspects. Both Sunni and Shi’ite muslims are strongly united by this belief, and in exhibiting such ethical standards, all variants of Islam profess their belief in the oneness and greatness of Allah. Be sure your conclusion references the question directly.

The overlapping aspects of people, practise and ethics define Islam as a unified living religious tradition. Is this not the whole point of the essay? I expected another paragraph on core beliefs of Islam, that is a structure that works really well. For the pilgrim undertaking the Hajj, there is an acute and overwhelming sense of the diversity of Islam, yet at the same time, an experience of the integration of the Muslim world converging to the Holy city of Mecca; “They will come from the farthest locations” (Quran 22:27). In the same way that Islamic ethical teachings on sexual ethics teach that sexual intercourse is a performance achieves peace and tranquility; “that you may find tranquility… [and] love and mercy between your hearts”(Surah Al-Rum 30:21), the Hajj too is a commemoration of the adherents' love for Allah. Excellent evidence provided here, you've clearly got a heap of knowledge at your disposal and it shows. Very impressive. Furthermore, Hajj exhibits the belief in Rasulullah (prophets) as pilgrims retrace the footsteps or Abraham, Muhammad and Ishmael. Islamic ethical teachings mirror Rasulullah with Hadith - the Sunnah of the Prophet - being one of the four main sources of islamic jurisprudence. The Qur’an explicitly expresses that non-Muslims are prohibited from entering the Holy city of Mecca; “indeed the polytheists are unclean, so let them not approach al-Masjid al-Haram” (Qur'an 9:28). This is mirrored in Qutb’s salafist philosophy of the need to return to the roots of Islam and not tempted by false Gods such as Western capitalist and consumer-driven civilisation. It feels like we are jumping around a little bit in this paragraph - I'm not getting a sense of one, coherent argument, one idea that links the three. Tawhid unified your previous paragraph, this one feels more jumbled. “The West has disregarded morality in its quest for material progress.” (Social Justice in Islam 1949). Likewise, Sayyid Qutb’s belief in social justice is embodied in all stages of the rite of Hajj. Despite diversity in discourse, ethnicity, nationality and on socio-economic grounds, the pilgrimage is strictly non-discriminatory as adherents are unified through their common recognition of the importance of Hajj and the physical and mental demands it entails. Those unable to afford the practise of Hajj for health or monetary reasons are encouraged to support or be supported by those who are able, reflected in Qutb’s thought on social justice. The state Ihram and the day of Arafat demonstrate both Tahwid and Akhira (rehearsal of the Day of Judgement) allows adherents to develop an acute sense of social equity and equality among human beings. Again, love that you are referencing beliefs, but it feels very isolated, because the beliefs aren't threaded through? In affirming a common identity through the completion of identical rituals, stripped of worldly possessions and rich indistinguishable from the poor, equality before God is emphasised. Furthermore, the unification of the Islamic variants is evident with the simultaneous performance of identical rituals and the identical motivations of declaring their deep adherence to, and belief in, the oneness of Allah. According to Qutb, a rejection of Jahiiliyya (pagan ignorance of divine guidance), promotes equality within the Umma, similar to that provided by the state of Ihram where no man is superior to his neighbour; “People are all as equal as the teeth of a comb” (Muhammad). The overlapping aspects of people, practise and ethics as discussed above, emphasise the unification of the Islamic faith as an active religious tradition. Sentence by sentence, excellent paragraph. Holistically though, it feels a little disjointed. I understand the idea you are using to link them, that the variants of the faith are unified, but it doesn't feel that distinct to the argument of the whole essay itself. This is just my opinion, obviously - As I said, each thing you say is excellent.

The diversity as evident within the aspects of people, practise and ethics define Islam as a living religious tradition, in that they allow for this faith to be active and relevant over ever-changing contexts. Along with the Qur’an and the Hadith, Sunni Muslims turn to Qiyas and Ijams as sources of Islamic Jurisprudence, wheres Shi’ite Muslims use the Ayatollah. In Sunni Islam, ijtihad comprises analogy, scholarly consensus, public welfare and custom. In Shi'a Islam, ijtihad consists entirely of reason. Be careful you don't swap to content vomit - Content in isolation doesn't do much for your argument! In turning to alternative sources for Islamic jurisprudence, this enable the interpretation of Ethics to accommodate a contemporary context. As the controversial issue of contraception is not discerned by Allah’s revelation through the Qur’an, adherents turn to scholarly consensus in the form of Ijmas. The general consensus today is that contraception is permissible, but may not be used to permanently avoid pregnancy and limited to the bounds of matrimony. “And do not kill your children fearing poverty” (Qur’an 6:151). This is because the beliefs in withholding from procreation due to economic reasons undermines trust in Allah promise that every child will be looked after - “We provide sustenance for you and for them” (Qur’an 6:151). Both Sunni and Shi’ite Muslims are united in this consensus. In a paragraph on diversity, is this the best example of an ethical issue to bring up? Bringing up something where the Sunni and Shi'ite approaches differ would do more for your argument. Moreover, Qutb’s interpretation of jihad (to strive in the cause of God) further exemplifies Islam as a dynamic tradition accommodating diversity of expression. His Qur’anic commentary ‘In the Shade of the Qur’an’ (1952) provides an alternative approach towards a struggle in the cause of God, albeit one with negative ramifications. His work combined his salafist interpretation and his radical socio-political ideology in a manner that to some, was misinterpreted as a justification of militancy; “Those who believe, fight in the cause of Allah” (Qur’an 4:76). Schisms and tensions within the variants of Islam continue to develop as adherents struggle to agree on a suitable way to combat Jahiliyya, and live in accordance to the will of Allah. Good discussion of more contemporary issues of the faith, works well. Afghanistan, Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and many other Muslim-majority countries are governed by Sharia law, whereas secular nation states such as Australia are codified by a constitution. While some Sharia laws may be different to Australian law, this does not mean they are incompatible. A muslim is able to live by Sharia law in a secular state as long as the law does not undermine domestic law. The muslim adherent is governed by Sharia law in the way that they profess the oneness of Allah in their every-day life. This illustrates the ability of Islam, as a dynamic living religious tradition, to accomodate diversity for adherents to sustain relevance over ever-changing contexts. Another solid paragraph, though this one feels more like a content dump than answering the question of dynamic/living. Your incredible content knowledge could actually be the issue here, as you are delving into such specifics that the explanation of them is taking up space!

The impact of Sayyid Qutb, the significance of the rite of Hajj, and Islamic ethical teachings on sexual ethics profoundly contribute to Islam as a living religious tradition. While at a surface glance they may be regarded as distinct from one another, through the fundamental belief in Tawhid and the many aspects of overlap in people, practice and ethics, it becomes evident that these three entities are interrelated. In conclusion, it is the areas of diversity which determine the status of ‘living’ and ‘dynamic’ to be attributed to the Islamic tradition.

My thoughts on this essay are varied Georgia, but let me start by saying it is wonderfully written. Your content knowledge is incredible, mind blowing - At no second did I doubt your understanding of the faith. It is in answering the question that I'm a little less sure - First paragraph was excellent, it felt cohesive, a few more obvious links to the question would have been excellent. The second was less cohesive, it felt like a mash of different bits of content, mostly because unity is such a large concept. The third delved into such specific aspects of the faith, it felt more like a content dump rather than cleverly chosen examples to address the question.

I'll let my comments throughout do most of the explanation, and if you need any clarification on my notes do let me know! No doubt in my mind you are able to produce a Band 6 essay. I'm not 100% sure whether this one quite gets there (if it doesn't it is bloody close), but in reading this I know you are capable of a 20/20 response, easily ;D