Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:24:17 am

Poll

What Is Your Favourite Chocolate Brand?

Cadbury
Lindt
Whittakers
Hahndorf's
Haigh's chocolates
Other
KoKo Black

Author Topic: Geoo's VCE Journey  (Read 80067 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: Geoo's VCE Journey
« Reply #135 on: November 01, 2019, 06:59:15 am »
+4
Good luck for the bio exam Geo!! <3 Those notes are absolutely gorgeous!!

In other good news, chemistry and food studies are officially done for the year, I got my mark back for my last chem SAC which was a lovely A+ (50/52), so I am very happy about that. My exam was optional and since I have other priorities I am not doing it. I got my mark back for food studies which was an A, so that wasn't to bad since I didn't put any effort into it, I am now just waiting on getting my exam marks back.

Also, congratulations for some other great marks!! ;D

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2019, 08:24:39 am »
+7
Term 4 - 02/11/19 - Post Exam

Too put this short, I don't feel great right now. I feel like I have wasted all my hard work in the year, to probably get a shitty result. I opened up the paper and I thought, wow this is easy and I have seen most of these questions before. Here's the thing though, I don't think my expression was that great, having a look on the exam discussion I forgot to mention a few key words that are going to cost me marks, I forgot to make comparative statements, and I rushed at the end.
It started of well, I got all multiple choice done in 20 minutes (9:35) then got up to short answer question 6 at 10:15, I though that for some reason since I have done alot in such a short amount of time I could slow down a little, big mistake....

I got to question 10 at about 11:30, and so I had to rush to get my reasoning down. I believe I lost quite a few marks for my stupid justification.

Put it this way, I know it isn't the world, I know that in 10 years I won't be thinking about my result or what not, but for right now, I feel really disappointed, and just numb. I think I may get over a 35+ but who knows. I definitely stuffed up on a few questions either because a) I rushed it, or b) I either over simplified it of under simplified it.

Also, where were all the questions for speciation, natural selection, or comparing something for hominin evolution? I studied HOURS for those and they weren't even there!

Anyway that is it for me for year 11, I have no more to submit or attend. This means that I am on school holidays!

So for the moment, I am going to do a lot of reading, driving (to get those hours up), videos games, catch up on all the TV I have missed and get together with my friends. If I do pass maths methods, then I will be doing some catch up work to get the content solidified for next year. Maybe some chem as well? Who knows, anyway for now I won't be posting that much until my study score is released. Good luck with the rest of your exams guys ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 10:58:13 pm by Geoo »
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2019, 08:26:23 am »
+4
I'm in the same boat as you, don't worry. You've got this!
OMG your notes look Godly!  8)

Best of luck for the exam Geooo!
your notes are so impressive!! just do the best you can, and it will pay off! hopefully the exam isn't too wacky! *fingers crossed*

good luck fellow bio pal <3
Good luck for the bio exam Geo!! <3 Those notes are absolutely gorgeous!!

Also, congratulations for some other great marks!! ;D
Aww thank you guys!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 08:56:10 am by Geoo »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2019, 08:40:26 am »
+7
It's very hard to tell with short answer how well you actually did since you're comparing your guess at remembering what you wrote with other people's guess of the answer.

You're certainly right that this exam isn't the be all & end all but it's also very understandable to feel strongly about it right now anyway. 

I hope you really enjoy catching up on everything & good luck

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2019, 07:37:19 pm »
+7
Update - 09/12/19

Long time no see guys, wow I can't believe it has been over a month since I last updated this! I thought I'd give a update on what I have been doing these holidays and how I am feeling about this results day.

In terms of what I have done, well, it hasn't been much. I have mainly been imitating a potato on the couch/bed either watching YouTube, Disney+ (yes I use this platform, I would give it a 6/10. the content is quite kid based outside of marvel and starwars so I haven't found much I have liked aside from rewatching Simpsons.) and reading. I have been catching up on all the books I didn't have the time to read in the year and if I am not doing that I am crocheting! I have stated on this Christmas Grinch which I am slowly getting through.

It was inspired by this wonderful comment my Nana made about how she doesn't like Christmas anymore and she won't be giving out presents to anyone this year........ So I decided to make her a Grinch to embody her new outlook. After months of saying I will, I have FINALLY gotten back into exercise by going for a walk 5 days a week! I have kept this up for almost 4 weeks now, which I am super proud of, and I am making progress in increasing the intensity. I do want to start building some muscle but I can't really rush into things, so the goals at the moment are to stay consistent and something is better than nothing. This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but I am 38 days milo sober! For the entire year, I was having 1-2 of these a day and that really wasn't super healthy so I am trying to reduce/ cut out milo and so far I am doing ok. I have also gotten alot of driving hours in about 20 hours since the term ended, bringing me up to 57 hours yay, only 63 hours to go!

Cooking alot more has been a bonus with all this spare time, I am really trying to focus on eating better (not skipping breakfast and lunch by replacing them with milo....), and I have come up with an awesome granola recipe which is BOMB! This is the first thing I have ever really produced on my own, and it is something I am really proud of, I mean just look at this satisfying picture of a full container's worth....

Another thing that has kind of changed is my mindset towards my study scores and my ATAR. Not going to lie, the first week after the exam I was really angry and frustrated over my exam performance and just overall a bit down about it. After some long hard thinking, I realised that I did my best, and the fact that I actually completed this subject with a really debilitating illness is something to be really happy about. During this time, alot was going on personally, with my grandmother being rushed to hospital with acute renal failure. She was fighting all sorts of other things aswell, and was essentially on her death bed. She passed away month ago shortly after my exam, so it was quite a difficult time for everyone and it really took a toll mentally. So in the end, of course I would still love a 40+, but that honestly doesn't seem likely, and you know what, i'm okay with that. I have 37 as my guess at what it is going to be, but who knows how I go until Thursday.

My overall goal for next year is to simply do well enough to get into my ideal course, which at the moment is just a bachelor of science at Monash. To me, that seems quite achievable considering everything. Of course I would love a 90+ ATAR, which I am still secretly hoping for, but getting into my ideal course is enough for me.

I still need to do alot of maths catch up over these holidays to prepare for 3/4 methods, since I kinda just scraped a pass for both units 1 and 2. There will be a lot more driving, reading and most importantly baking! Kinda self promo, but I should be updating my baking journal soon, with more of my baking adventures, especially with Christmas right around the corner. I would like to try get to the meet up, but there may be a few last minute appointments for my wisdom teeth removal so I'll see how I go.

So yes, congratulations to everyone who graduated in 2019 that is an amazing achievement to complete your studies! I wish everyone well for their results this Thursday and I hope you get what you want! Till Thursday guys!

It's very hard to tell with short answer how well you actually did since you're comparing your guess at remembering what you wrote with other people's guess of the answer.

You're certainly right that this exam isn't the be all & end all but it's also very understandable to feel strongly about it right now anyway. 

I hope you really enjoy catching up on everything & good luck
Thank you for your kind words! They really helped put things in perspective at the time when everything was overwhelming.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 07:39:52 pm by Geoo »

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2019, 08:04:55 pm »
+7
Update - 09/12/19

It was inspired by this wonderful comment my Nana made about how she doesn't like Christmas anymore and she won't be giving out presents to anyone this year........ So I decided to make her a Grinch to embody her new outlook.

This is probably the most creative and funniest idea I have heard in a long time! ;D I think I may have laughed a little too hard at that comment. Would love to see the finished product of this when you are done with this!

Update - 09/12/19

This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but I am 38 days milo sober!

Now this is quality content I like to see :P What are your secrets to conquering the milo urges? ;)

Also, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your grandmother, I hope you are doing okay. Be proud of all that you have done this year! You have done an amazing job and I wish you luck for this Thursday. Hope to see you at some point at the meetup if you can make it ;D

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2019, 10:54:10 pm »
+5
Update - 09/12/19

Long time no see guys, wow I can't believe it has been over a month since I last updated this! I thought I'd give a update on what I have been doing these holidays and how I am feeling about this results day.

In terms of what I have done, well, it hasn't been much. I have mainly been imitating a potato on the couch/bed either watching YouTube, Disney+ (yes I use this platform, I would give it a 6/10. the content is quite kid based outside of marvel and starwars so I haven't found much I have liked aside from rewatching Simpsons.) and reading. I have been catching up on all the books I didn't have the time to read in the year and if I am not doing that I am crocheting! I have stated on this Christmas Grinch which I am slowly getting through.

It was inspired by this wonderful comment my Nana made about how she doesn't like Christmas anymore and she won't be giving out presents to anyone this year........ So I decided to make her a Grinch to embody her new outlook. After months of saying I will, I have FINALLY gotten back into exercise by going for a walk 5 days a week! I have kept this up for almost 4 weeks now, which I am super proud of, and I am making progress in increasing the intensity. I do want to start building some muscle but I can't really rush into things, so the goals at the moment are to stay consistent and something is better than nothing. This may be the dumbest thing you have ever heard, but I am 38 days milo sober! For the entire year, I was having 1-2 of these a day and that really wasn't super healthy so I am trying to reduce/ cut out milo and so far I am doing ok. I have also gotten alot of driving hours in about 20 hours since the term ended, bringing me up to 57 hours yay, only 63 hours to go!

Cooking alot more has been a bonus with all this spare time, I am really trying to focus on eating better (not skipping breakfast and lunch by replacing them with milo....), and I have come up with an awesome granola recipe which is BOMB! This is the first thing I have ever really produced on my own, and it is something I am really proud of, I mean just look at this satisfying picture of a full container's worth....
(Image removed from quote.)

Another thing that has kind of changed is my mindset towards my study scores and my ATAR. Not going to lie, the first week after the exam I was really angry and frustrated over my exam performance and just overall a bit down about it. After some long hard thinking, I realised that I did my best, and the fact that I actually completed this subject with a really debilitating illness is something to be really happy about. During this time, alot was going on personally, with my grandmother being rushed to hospital with acute renal failure. She was fighting all sorts of other things aswell, and was essentially on her death bed. She passed away month ago shortly after my exam, so it was quite a difficult time for everyone and it really took a toll mentally. So in the end, of course I would still love a 40+, but that honestly doesn't seem likely, and you know what, i'm okay with that. I have 37 as my guess at what it is going to be, but who knows how I go until Thursday.

My overall goal for next year is to simply do well enough to get into my ideal course, which at the moment is just a bachelor of science at Monash. To me, that seems quite achievable considering everything. Of course I would love a 90+ ATAR, which I am still secretly hoping for, but getting into my ideal course is enough for me.

I still need to do alot of maths catch up over these holidays to prepare for 3/4 methods, since I kinda just scraped a pass for both units 1 and 2. There will be a lot more driving, reading and most importantly baking! Kinda self promo, but I should be updating my baking journal soon, with more of my baking adventures, especially with Christmas right around the corner. I would like to try get to the meet up, but there may be a few last minute appointments for my wisdom teeth removal so I'll see how I go.

So yes, congratulations to everyone who graduated in 2019 that is an amazing achievement to complete your studies! I wish everyone well for their results this Thursday and I hope you get what you want! Till Thursday guys!
Thank you for your kind words! They really helped put things in perspective at the time when everything was overwhelming.
Holy shite this journal tho!!!! Damn all I can say I’m loving it with all these food pics wowowow! Looking forward to more updates! And good luck to the results day, I’m sure you did better than what you think since your grades are !!!!  ;D
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #142 on: December 10, 2019, 12:36:28 pm »
+7
This is probably the most creative and funniest idea I have heard in a long time! ;D I think I may have laughed a little too hard at that comment. Would love to see the finished product of this when you are done with this!

Now this is quality content I like to see :P What are your secrets to conquering the milo urges? ;)

Also, I'm so sorry to hear what happened to your grandmother, I hope you are doing okay. Be proud of all that you have done this year! You have done an amazing job and I wish you luck for this Thursday. Hope to see you at some point at the meetup if you can make it ;D
Haha, I know! I laugh at this so much whenever I'm telling people why I am creating the Grinch, it was too good of a opportunity not to make. I only hope that she gets the irony, but who knows. I will try and post it when I am done, I have only completed the limbs so far (kinda looks like I murdered someone) so I just have the body and head to go.

I have no idea how I really conquered my urges, but for me it was a combination of will power and alternatives. I have moved onto 70% dark chocolate from lindt that I think tastes okay, so I try to tell myself I have a treat tonight that I can wait for instead of going for the milo. I hope that makes sense.
And thank you for you kind words!
Holy shite this journal tho!!!! Damn all I can say I’m loving it with all these food pics wowowow! Looking forward to more updates! And good luck to the results day, I’m sure you did better than what you think since your grades are !!!!  ;D
Aww thank you! I'm glad you like the food pics. I fell like they mix up the journal a bit, and it is always nice to look at stuff instead of just reading about it. I hope I do better than I think too ;D

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #143 on: December 10, 2019, 06:10:23 pm »
+5
After months of saying I will, I have FINALLY gotten back into exercise by going for a walk 5 days a week! I have kept this up for almost 4 weeks now, which I am super proud of, and I am making progress in increasing the intensity. I do want to start building some muscle but I can't really rush into things, so the goals at the moment are to stay consistent and something is better than nothing.
Good job in being consistent! I always love a good walk with nature. You actually inspired me to take a walk around my local park! Yeah, same! I also want to build muscle but I'm not really sure how to be honest. That's a really good mindset you have!

Wow! That granola looks really healthy and yummy!  ;D

Do you have any plans for the holidays?

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2019, 12:10:55 am »
+3
Good job in being consistent! I always love a good walk with nature. You actually inspired me to take a walk around my local park! Yeah, same! I also want to build muscle but I'm not really sure how to be honest. That's a really good mindset you have!

Wow! That granola looks really healthy and yummy!  ;D

Do you have any plans for the holidays?
Haha, that's awesome! Walking is one of the best exercises in my opinion, and it beats running for me any day. It;s so relaxing to go walk around your local park, beach, trail etc.
Yeah I really don't know exactly how to build muscle either, it's a bit confusing but for now I am just happy walking ;)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2019, 11:22:55 am »
+12
Results Day - 12/12/19

So the day finally arrived, and to be honest I just feel nothing at the moment. I was disappointed with my score when I looked at it, I thought I would get a little higher so it was a bit of a bummer. I have this sense of wasted time, like all my hard work hasn't really paid off. So I actually got some sleep last night (yay), I went/fell asleep at 1:30, and I woke up at 7:45. Checked my email with my heart rate going nuts and opened it to just go, "oh." After that, I spoke to a few people and just kinda made my way downstairs to get breakfast and pat the cat.

It has been a few hours since I found out, but I don't feel disappointed anymore just a bit numb. I also feel I let down my teacher a little bit, which is a bummer, but other than that I feel fine.

So you may be wondering what I got, well, I ended up with a 38. (A, A+, A)

Even though I didn't get what I wanted I have learned alot this year over what I need to do for next year.
1) Don't set your goals to high. I think this is also what effected me. I set a goal of 45+ for biology early in the year, and as you can see, I didn't get anywhere near that. Taking a lesson from this, next year I am not going in with expectations and I'll just focus on doing my absolute best.

2) Get better special considerations during the exam. This was my downfall. I ended up napping in my exam (not in a rest break), and my illness massively affected my performance. Without having the GAT to fall back on, this is what happened. So next year I am going to apply for extra time.

3) Do exam style questions early, and throughout the year. This is probably the biggest one that I will take into next year, as I really wasn't prepared for VCAA exam style questions.

So for now, that is it. Congratulations to everyone and I look forward to seeing you all for 2020! Woohoo last year!!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:26:18 pm by Geoo »

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2019, 03:52:28 pm »
+5
Results Day - 12/12/19

So the day finally arrived, and to be honest I just feel nothing at the moment. I was disappointed with my score when I looked at it, I thought I would get a little higher so it was a bit of a bummer. I have this sense of wasted time, like all my hard work hasn't really paid off. So I actually got some sleep last night (yay), I went/fell asleep at 1:30, and I woke up at 7:45. Checked my email with my heart rate going nuts and opened it to just go, "oh." After that, I spoke to a few people and just kinda made me way downstairs to get breakfast and pat the cat.

It has been a few hours since I found out, but I don't feel disappointed anymore just a bit numb. I also feel I let down my teacher a little bit, which is a bummer, but other than that I feel fine.

So you may be wondering what I got, well, I ended up with a 38. (A, A+, A)

Even though I didn't get what I wanted I have learned alot this year over what I need to do for next year.
1) Don't set your goals to high. I think this is also what effected me. I set a goal of 45+ for biology early in the year, and as you can see, I didn't get anywhere near that. Taking a lesson from this, next year I am not going in with expectations and I'll just focus on doing my absolute best.

2) Get better special considerations during the exam. This was my downfall. I ended up napping in my exam (not in a rest break), and my illness massively affected my performance. Without having the GAT to fall back on, this is what happened. So next year I am going to apply for extra time.

3) Do exam style questions early, and throughout the year. This is probably the biggest one that I will take into next year, as I really wasn't prepared for VCAA exam style questions.

So for now, that is it. Congratulations to everyone and I look forward to seeing you all for 2020! Woohoo last year!!

Good job on surviving year 11, especially with a health condition, it must have been really difficult but you made it!!! I have really enjoyed reading your journal this year and am glad that you have a positive outlook for 2020!
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

yesh.weerakkody

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2019, 09:53:55 pm »
+3
Aww... even though it may not have been the results you were hoping for... you did well! There’s always next year to perfect your results, plus it’s a great thing you’ve already reviewed your mistakes!! Good luck!
Do you very best, and nothing less!

2020-21: 95.05 - psych (43), bio (40) & LOTE (40)
2022-25: BSciAdvResearch(Hons)

pm me if you're interested in biology tutoring!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2019, 11:07:00 am »
+5
It's okay, Geoo.
I know it's hard and painful, but we can channel this disappointment to do extremely well next year!
Yeah, I also feel I let down my methods teacher and it sucks but the feeling will pass.

I know you can achieve the greatest! I believe in you! Also, it's great that you reflected on what you can improve for next year and that's an amazing mindset for you to succeed!
I've really really loved reading your journal from the very start and I can't wait for next year's journey!  ;D

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »
+6
Good job on surviving year 11, especially with a health condition, it must have been really difficult but you made it!!! I have really enjoyed reading your journal this year and am glad that you have a positive outlook for 2020!

I'm so glad you enjoyed my journal, that really put a smile on my face. Thank you for your kind words as well! It was definitely a hard year with many learning curves, especially with dealing with a health condition. Congratulations for completing year 11 as well, and I hope to see you around for 2020! 

Aww... even though it may not have been the results you were hoping for... you did well! There’s always next year to perfect your results, plus it’s a great thing you’ve already reviewed your mistakes!! Good luck!

Thank you! Yes I am definitely taking that attitude into next year to try for better results, I guess this year was also like a test run for the real thing ;)

It's okay, Geoo.
I know it's hard and painful, but we can channel this disappointment to do extremely well next year!
Yeah, I also feel I let down my methods teacher and it sucks but the feeling will pass.

I know you can achieve the greatest! I believe in you! Also, it's great that you reflected on what you can improve for next year and that's an amazing mindset for you to succeed!
I've really really loved reading your journal from the very start and I can't wait for next year's journey!  ;D

YESS, we'll definitely channel it into next year absolutely! Thank you for believing in me, and thanks for reading along! Till next year!