Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:05:44 am

Author Topic: Global Studies Study design: 'public opinion'  (Read 1855 times)  Share 

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Global Studies Study design: 'public opinion'
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:34:43 pm »
+1
Hello any Global experts,

I am reviewing for a SAC for Unit 3 area of study 1, global actors. The study design says that 'public opinion' is a key term. I think that means I need to memorise the definition and know an example. But I can't see where it connects with the area of global actors.

The only things I can think of is that a) public opinion can pressure the governments of democratic states to modify their behaviour which may impact on international relations and global politics and b) public opinion may inspire the actions of NGOs, or be altered by the work of NGOs. NGOs are non-state actors that promote particular issues in order to moderate the behaviour of governments and other organisations.

Am I on the right track or did I miss something? Are there examples that I should know? I'm too tired to think of any! Or is this just left over from the old study design???
2017: English, Psychology, Legal Studies, Further Maths, Global Politics.
2016: Business Management

Notarobot

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: Global Studies Study design: 'public opinion'
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 04:54:25 pm »
+1
A few weeks later with no replies so I'm going to provide my definition and example for public opinion ;D .

Public opinion is a sentiment shared by a group of people. It can influence the foreign policy of states (this is from the textbook). For example, public opinion may have influenced the foreign policy of Australia when in 2015 the Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop appealed to the Indonesian President to spare the lives of two Australian drug traffickers (clemency). After their execution, diplomatic and ministerial contacts were suspended for a period. Bishop’s actions seem to have been in accord with Australian public opinion.
2017: English, Psychology, Legal Studies, Further Maths, Global Politics.
2016: Business Management

literally lauren

• Administrator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Resident English/Lit Nerd
  • Respect: +1423
Re: Global Studies Study design: 'public opinion'
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:42 am »
+3
A few weeks later with no replies so I'm going to provide my definition and example for public opinion ;D .

Public opinion is a sentiment shared by a group of people. It can influence the foreign policy of states (this is from the textbook). For example, public opinion may have influenced the foreign policy of Australia when in 2015 the Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop appealed to the Indonesian President to spare the lives of two Australian drug traffickers (clemency). After their execution, diplomatic and ministerial contacts were suspended for a period. Bishop’s actions seem to have been in accord with Australian public opinion.
Hi Notarobot!

I'm afraid I'm not in any way a Glopol expert, but just by looking at the study designs...
   - 'public opinion' wasn't mentioned at all in the 2012-2015 SD, so it's not some remnant they forgot to take out :P It's definitely deliberately been added to the 2016-2017 version.
   - also, funnily enough, the 2018 SD has taken this key term out again :P As such, I can't imagine it being too big a deal in this year's exam - it'll probably be more of an optional example to bring up in a question like 'Provide two reasons why global actors may alter or moderate their behaviours.'

That said, having a definition and example up your sleeve is an excellent idea! It's possible you may need to be more specific than just saying it is a sentiment shared by "a group of people" (e.g. is it a term that applies to the majority of people in a society, or can it just be a small faction? I'd assume the former?) But the example you provide seems valid - maybe just explain that the dominant opinion of the Australian public at the time was that the two men should be granted clemency, just so your example is as clear as possible!

But I'd highly recommend checking with your teacher to be sure! Hopefully we get some more Glopol kids throughout the year though, and you can all help each other out! ;D