Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 04:09:06 pm

Author Topic: Physics 1/2  (Read 1121 times)  Share 

Erstwhile

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +36
Physics 1/2
« on: July 13, 2017, 10:12:56 pm »
I want to do physics next year for year 11 but have not done physics this year. I'm also wonder is it safe for me to attempt physics next year? If yes, what are some year 10 concepts/formulas I should consider learning over the holidays? Thanks. ;)

Mod edit: Split off from unrelated discussion
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:23:23 pm by Aaron »
#nerdlife 2019

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Physics 1/2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:56 pm »
+1
Hey - i've split your question into its own thread. Your situation is a little bit different to where you posted it.

In Year 11, if you do Physics from the beginning it'll be Unit 1 :)

In my opinion, I think you should relax. For Year 11, all you need is a S (satisfactory) to pass a unit. If you really want to learn a bit, might be worth grabbing a Unit 1/2 textbook for Physics and having a look through that. I wouldn't be worrying yet OR putting too much work into it at this point in time (or even over holidays).

Your school will most likely (I haven't heard of a school that doesn't do this) offer a head start program of some kind, where at the end of the year you'll start the transition into Year 11 by doing like 1-2 weeks worth of Unit 1 work for your subjects next year.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:27:01 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Erstwhile

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 11:01:26 pm »
Oh thank you Aaron. My teachers also said that I should be fine, but I was just a bit anxious. I feel a lot better now since I already put it as my first back up subject choice. Thanks for the reply!
#nerdlife 2019

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 01:07:21 pm »
I want to do physics next year for year 11 but have not done physics this year. I'm also wonder is it safe for me to attempt physics next year? If yes, what are some year 10 concepts/formulas I should consider learning over the holidays? Thanks. ;)

Mod edit: Split off from unrelated discussion

To the best of my knowledge, most people don't have any academic experience with physics until units 1&2 aside from anything that may have been covered in year 7-10 science. I highly doubt you'll be placed at any meaningful disadvantage. If you do want to get a head start then learning about vectors, temperature, and newton's Laws (eg on websites such as http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class, youtube, and Khanacademy) may be useful but aren't necessary.   

Erstwhile

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:58:32 pm »
Thank you for the resources Miniturtle! I'll try to learn a bit of physics over the holidays. :D
#nerdlife 2019