Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:38:41 am

Author Topic: Comparative Essay - please give feedback  (Read 552 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Comparative Essay - please give feedback
« on: October 13, 2019, 02:35:34 pm »
‘Adults are immoral and children are innocent.’
To what extent is this demonstrated in I’m Not Scared and The Secret River?

Niccolo Amanitti’s novel I’m Not Scared and Daina Reid’s mini series The Secret River convey the naivety and innocence of children, this is contrasted against the lack of moral leadership in the adult world. Both texts demonstrate the contrasts between adults and children including their values and behaviour towards others.

Both texts seek to highlight the way adults treat others in the texts. Throughout the texts adults make decisions that are devoid of morals however both texts present them differently. Amanitti’s novel explores the fear and vindictive nature of the adults and how it leads them to make immoral decisions. Daina Reid’s mini series explores the desire of European settlers to leave a legacy. Whilst I’m Not Scared is set in the poor town of Acqua Traverse, the inhabitants resent the lavish lifestyle the rich north lead as they struggle to lead a life free from the worries of feeding their family. The resentment and fear the inhabitants of the South feel for the richer North lead them to kidnap Filippo. They keep Filippo chained in a hole, covered in his own bodily waste and even threaten to ‘cut his ears off’. On the other hand The Secret River is set in the harsh and unforgiving landscape of the Australian bush, the convicts dream of ridding themselves of the ‘convict stain’ in the hope of securing land despite the Indigenous inhabitants and making a name for themselves. In doing so, the convicts fear of the natives drives them to treat them with hostility, apprehension and complete disregard for them as human beings described as ‘no different to...a dog’. In spite of the subtle differences in their approach to demonstrate how adults treat others as a result of their circumstances both The Secret River and I’m Not Scared suggest that when adults are fearful they make immoral decisions.

Throughout both texts the author's present to us with the notion that the innocence and naivety of children allow them to treat everyone with kindness. Amanitti’s novel and Daina Reid’s mini series explore the friendships children are able to build despite many barriers. The innocence and morality of children in I’m Not Scared is displayed when Michele does the forfeit for Barbara when Skull tells her to show him her ‘slit’, Michele steps in as he knew there was something ‘nasty’ about what Skull was asking. Despite Michele’s fear of the almost dead boy in the hole, he ventures back with food and water to help him multiple times despite many dangers, this illustrates the morality of children. The Secret River displays the notion of the innocence of children when Dickie makes friends with an indigenous child and learns skills taught by the indigenous people, Dickie’s morality is shown after the massacre when he breaks bonds with his father and helps Thomas Blackwood who was victim to the massacre. On the other hand Willie’s innocence and naivety leads him to blindly follow in the footsteps of the adults around him allowing him the belief that the cruel acts committed against the indigenous peoples was reasonable.

While children are innocent does not mean they are moral as their innocence and naivety can lead them to unknowingly committing cruel acts. Adults are driven to commit immoral acts due to their circumstances.
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP