Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:40:57 am

Author Topic: Ransom/Invictus Essay  (Read 1315 times)  Share 

zhangvivian

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Ransom/Invictus Essay
« on: September 05, 2019, 09:50:46 pm »
Hi, I have written this essay as homework and as a practise for my SAC next week. If you won't mind, please give me some feedback on how to improve my writing.

Thank you

Essay topic:Compare the way the two texts explore the idea that is essential to know your enemy

Conflict stems from the lack of understanding between two ideas, countries or systems, and the crux in resolving conflict is in understanding the “enemy”. Whether it is two countries at war in David Malouf Ransom  or the divided society of post-apartheid South Africa in Invictus directed by Clint Eastwood, there is a severe lack of understanding. Only by understanding the other perspective can you empathize with their concerns, and correctly address their concerns, in order for progress to be made.

In both texts, the need to understand the enemy is provides a common ground for similarities to be found between characters and cultures which ultimately leads to progress. In Ransom, Priam grows throughout his journey to the Greek camp, by re-familiarizing himself with his humanity and understanding the emotions of a father. Whilst Mandela recognises the need for the black South Africans and Afrikaners to bond and build relationships on the basis of something. Priam recognises the need to appeal to Achilles “as a father” which creates parallels between himself and Hector and citing Achilles and his son Neoptolemus “would you not do for him what I am doing for Hector” as well as between Peleus and Achilles, ”would your father, Peleus, not do the same for you”. Their love for their children and willingness to sacrifice for their child connects them and allows for the ransom to happen and creates a new relationship between both Achilles and Priam. In contrast to the situation in Ransom in which Priam himself need to regain his humanity, to find common ground, in Invictus, it is the South African people who need to find a common ground to form a relationship. This lack of understanding is explicitly shown by the vote to get rid of the Springboks at National Sports Council. As the film progresses, there is more mutual understanding, the young black children enthusiastically participating in the rugby clinics, the singing of the new national anthem. As Pienaar says, they are “more than just a rugby team”  they are the center of the change and progress in South Africa. As the Springboks winning streak continues in the world cup, the initial hatred and disdain for rugby has been replaced with “43 million South Africans” supporting their home team to success. The rugby has promoted a sense of unity in a changing country and foundation for more progress.

Understanding in order to show empathy and forgive is also a key idea explored by both texts. In Ransom, Priam's forgiveness Achilles for killing Hector and this show of forgiveness, benefits both parties. Priam gets the body of Hector back and “settled on the terms of a truce” with Achilles, whilst Achilles is “[cleansed]” of the emotions that flood him and “the smokey poison” within him as he forgives Hector for killing Patroclus. This leads to Achilles accepting the two parts of himself and finding the “true Achilles” that is freed from the demons he carries through empathy and forgiveness. On another note, Somax is also depicted to forgive Beauty for his son's death. Despite her presence always reminding him of his dead son, that the fault in his son's death lies in her, Somax is able to forgive Beauty because that would have been what his son would’ve wanted and to keep a close memory of his son with him at all times. Similarly in Invictus, Mandela was able to forgive the people who labelled him as a “terrorist” and actively try to understand their viewpoints in order to have reconciliation. Mandela's spirit to forgive and understand is depicted through the Springboks trips to Robben Island from Pienaars point of view. The way Pienaar spreads his arm in the cell, emphasises the harsh conditions in which Mandela survived and the ghosts of Mandela doing hard labor. This is shows the magnitude of Mandela forgiveness. Most viewers and readers would be unable to survive such harsh conditions, yet Mandela spent “30 years in the tiny cell and how he came out willing to forgive those that put him there”, this highlights the lengths Mandela has gone to truly understand the Afrikaners and conclude his understanding that “the enemies are no longer the Afrikaners, they are our fellow South Africans, our partners in democracy”.

However when there are people who like Mandela and Priam who are willing to try to understand their enemy there are also those who are inexorable about their conceived opinions of their enemy. In Ransom, when Priam holds court, there are firm disbelievers that reject the notion of Priam seeking the Greeks in order to ransom back Hector's body safely and without issues. They absolutely believe there is no future for Troy given that Troy greatest warrior is dead and that no one can reason with Achilles. Hecuba as well has the preconceived notion of Achilles being “butcher” and that the idea is “folly” and that it will endanger Priam. Similarly Brenda, Mandela chief of staff in Invictus also entertains this thought about Mandela’s ambitious reconciliation plan through rugby, since it could either succeed or fail spectacularly impacting his future as president as most of his support base are black South Africans. Since he has already stopped them from getting rid of the Springboks team and its colours. Also they are the white South African population who are deeply suspicious of Mandela and the black South Africans, this can be seen in the initial rugby match, where the white supporters were cheering for the Springboks with the old South African flag and the black supporters always cheering for the opposing team. Also the attempt to hurt Mandela with an orange also shows people who are unwilling to change, and believe that “[their] country went to the dogs.”

The two texts end positively, depicting the benefits of understanding your enemy in order to make progress. In Ransom, this is depicted through Priam ransoming back Hector's body and the 11 day truce between the Trojans and Greeks in order to do funerary rites. Whilst in Invictus the united cheering for Springboks for their victory and acknowledgement of “43 million South Africans” were cheering for them would be the definite step forward in progress and a resulting of understanding the enemy.

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
Re: Ransom/Invictus Essay
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:35:48 am »
It was quite good. Your ideas are very insightful.
I would maybe proof read your work and try to make sentences precise.
For example...
"In both texts, the need to understand the enemy is provides a common ground for similarities to be found between characters and cultures which ultimately leads to progress."

you would maybe reword so it is not so verbose

Both texts highlight that understanding others can bind two opposing forces through new found similarities.

Something like that :)

Good luck you will be fine otherwise
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb

zhangvivian

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:01:38 pm »
+1
Thank you for your advice, I have found that it is a reoccurring problem in my essays. Thanks for looking over it and giving me some feedback.

yourfriendlyneighbourhoodghost

• Forum Obsessive
  • sleep now and dream, study now and live your dream
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 10:07:53 am »
Thank you for your advice, I have found that it is a reoccurring problem in my essays. Thanks for looking over it and giving me some feedback.

No worries (: I had that problem to for many months, my teacher says just use words that are necessary, tell me your ideas clearly and with the fewest words. She always says to get straight to the point.

Good luck (:
2018: Studio Arts [37]
2019: English [38] Psychology [38] Vis Com [36] Software Development [40] Further Maths [35]
ATAR: 87.95 ❤️

2020-2023 Bachelor of Arts @ Unimelb