Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 06:02:48 am

Author Topic: Effective study methods for modern  (Read 1087 times)  Share 

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Effective study methods for modern
« on: February 21, 2019, 06:10:15 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma about how to study for modern. My grades have been subpar recently - 72% y11 yearly exam and 69% viva voce and I am not sure on how to study effectively for modern. I've tried making summary notes for modern and I'm not really sure if it's the best study method. I feel like i'm wasting time making summary notes for modern because there is too much content but also I feel as if I'm not 'studying' if I don't make summary notes. Thanks in advance.
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
Re: Effective study methods for modern
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 06:44:13 pm »
+4
Hello!

Notes are super useful for Modern because you're able to have all your information in front of you :-) In saying that, notes on their own aren't the best way to study for Modern (or any subject) so to supplement notes I used to do lots of past papers, do weird accents to memorise stuff and my friends and I tested each other a lot. With the new syllabus, I'm aware the past paper thing might be an issue but that can't stop you from asking your teacher to make up questions, or you can make up questions yourself! Recite aloud what you would answer for the questions you're answering and/or hand in practice responses.

There are a ton of ways to study for Modern and these are just a few! I hope this helps :-)
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: Effective study methods for modern
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 07:57:10 pm »
+3
Hey there,

Another way to study for Modern is to make detail tables and linking tables. I made notes during Year 12 so what I did was to summarise all the information into a table, so it's forcing me to filter out even more "useless" information. Linking tables are also a great study method because it's almost like an essay plan for each syllabus dot point. You can find my detail table and linking table in the 'Notes' section.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW