Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:55:39 pm

Author Topic: A Spoonful of Sugar- insanipi's PharmSci journey  (Read 61630 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Re: A Spoonful of Sugar- insanipi's PharmSci journey
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2019, 08:29:24 am »
+14
19/1
Well, I've had my break and now I'm busy getting ready for semester 1!
I went up to Sydney for a week, which was hella amazing!

some of my favourite pictures!
This was taken whilst I was having a food coma, don't mind me!

Jake told Rui to unload all the chem notes. This was the aftermath. There was a whole tower

These lights are conical flasks. Thanks to Jake for pointing this out during the lecture I crashed!

Yes I stole via a screenie. This was fun <3

As soon as I got back, the day after I went straight back to Parkville to receive training on how to operate aMigo- which I found pretty straightforward!

I also completed the LILO modules that I needed to do for mentoring and committee stuff, so I was also pretty productive!

As break's basically over now- The next few things uni related happen in the next week or so; aMigo opening on Monday, a committee meeting on the 24th, helping out for the orientation video on the 25th, and the Student Leaders' Retreat at Camp Toolangi on the 31st!
After that, we'll have planning for clubs carnival and week 1 trivia (funded by faculty), as well as mentor training and setup for oweek!

I'm really excited to be heading back to uni soon!

Hope y'all are well and safe,
Lou xo
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 02:08:08 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2019, 08:14:39 pm »
+8
It's been a while and I've been busy but yeah a quick update and a few random things I felt like doing because I had a little too much free time today haha :')
Spoiler
Other highlights from today:
* Catching up with Mini :D <3
* Going to UniMelb and trying to join a UniMelb tour with a couple of other mentors, in our Monash shirts :')
* BURRITOS for lunch. (For free. Monash Parkville had more free stuff than UniMelb today from what I saw lol)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 08:09:03 pm by insanipi »

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #122 on: March 15, 2019, 08:50:52 pm »
+11
Hey hey!
I'm back in the full swing of things at uni, and I'm really excited to see where this year takes me!
I'm really enjoying most of my units at the moment, and I find that this semester is completely different to the last 2 years, as the teaching style and format of this year is 150% more teamwork based than every other unit I've taken.

Applied Analytical Methods:
This is my only core unit for third year, and it focuses of developing HPLC methods, and analysing how to separate chemicals, and working in a team to solve a problem brief (written by "Lorenzo Lando". If you say it out loud, it kinda sounds like Laurence Orlando, who's my UC for this unit. I found that funny :'))
I currently have 3 hours of interactive, task/discussion based lectures a week (split into 1 + 2), where all the concepts are learnt in the self directed learning modules which I have to do every 2 or so weeks (There's 5 modules + 1 intro module, and I'm currently in the middle of the first module); as well a 4 hour HPLC lab (nearly every week)

Industrial Formulation:
Not really much to report here aside from it's basically Colloids pt2. Except, this unit involves actual industry problems that we try to solve/develop ideas for in teams. I'm lucky enough to be doing a project with Baxter Laboratories, and I'm really excited to actually get in the lab and do stuff after midsem break! ^-^
Also bonus points for the fact that one of the workshops that are there for me if my team needs it happens to fall on Tuesdays, and is my only class that day, so I effectively have Tuesdays off for half the semester!

Biomolecule formulation & Modified Release Technologies (I actually had to look up the actual name of the unit on Moodle oops)
I love the current topic, rDNA technology, molecular biology and protein expression, however the lecturer's voice is that really nice tone that will eventually lull me to sleep. I'm really hoping this unit is going to really live up to my expectations, but we'll see, we've only covered two-thirds of the first topic thus far! ^_^
This is my lowest real contact hour unit (excluding industrial formulation), only requiring 2-3 hours/week for most of the semester!

Pharmaceutical Product Manufacture
The TL;DR summary of this unit: making tablets and creams with a team.
This is the subject that I have to really know my way around Excel for, else there goes my marks (I have to be able to make this thing they call a DoE. It sounds like it'll be really fiddly to do haha). This subject is rather intense, and has 4 hours of lectures a week (2 + 2) and a smattering 3 hour labs. In labs we have to follow GMP (good manufacturing process) and sign a ridiculous amount of paperwork in a batch record. The thing I'm looking forward to the most in this unit is using the tableting machine, which is affectionately called Shrek by my UC, Laurence :'D

Other Uni stuff
Mentoring:
My mentees are definitely more talkative than I expected which is really good! Most of them signed up for clubs and made the most of the free food on campus- they were very willing to line up for 30 mins for tacos at one point! I check in with them at least once a week, and they seem to be settling in okay, it seems to be that some of them have mixed views on physical chemistry or physiology, but that's pretty normal in first year.

Clubs:
PGC: I feel like I'm doing a lot more of the club workload than I'm supposed to atm, but hopefully it will die down now, given that we just elected our new general committee members! ^-^ (One of them is my mentee, so I'm excited that they're embracing a fun opportunity)
I got completely smashed in MarioKart last night though! :(
The Clayton board games society also reached out to us recently, so that'd be pretty darned cool if we can get some inter-campus events on the hap :D

MAP: I sat in on 2/4 of the committee interviews the other night, and I'm excited for the new committee members! There hasn't been any events this year yet, as it is only myself and the 2nd year VP on campus at the mo (the pres and the secretary are currently on pharmacy placements). Once the pres and secretary get back, I'm eager to see what events (aside from the major ones such as karaoke and the uke workshop) we'll be running are! :)

Catch y'all next time! ^-^
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 09:00:07 pm by insanipi »

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #123 on: March 28, 2019, 04:09:58 pm »
+1
Somehow missed your last vlog at the time but I enjoyed the train commentary haha. Looking forward to your next video, yo. 👍

EDIT: What's Building 5?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 04:13:06 pm by Joseph41 »

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2019, 04:39:12 pm »
+5
Somehow missed your last vlog at the time but I enjoyed the train commentary haha. Looking forward to your next video, yo. 👍

EDIT: What's Building 5?
Haha, glad you enjoyed the commentary! (I comment I mean complain about trains on a twice (or more) daily basis though haha :'))
I'll consider doing another vlog over the weekend or next week, just need to do a couple of group assignments first! :D

Building 5 is basically all staff offices and this joint-venture thing between UniMelb and Monash called BioCurate. Noone talks of it because it's obviously got UniMelb's mitts on it! :'D

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2019, 08:46:48 am »
+9

(Early upload before my lab this morning :D )
(Oh god that preview image ahaha)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2019, 03:12:16 pm »
+1

(Early upload before my lab this morning :D )
(Oh god that preview image ahaha)

Nice one! Can imagine vlogging while running to the station would be difficult anyway hahaha.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2019, 06:27:32 pm »
+8
Nice one! Can imagine vlogging while running to the station would be difficult anyway hahaha.
I could try, but I won't, too many roads to cross tbh haha 😅

Lesson learnt today: HPLC machines are like printers, they can sense fear.

(My group's HPLC disconnected itself from the remote computer that the chromatagrams were being recorded on mid-run on the longest run of the prac, so we had to restart that one. Then on the second run, the peak AUCs (area under curve) was practically 0 in comparison to the other runs, so we had to rerun that one too because we needed the data (it was the second longest run) :') that added 40mins to my prac I didn't need to have today :( )

Science doesn't always work ^-^

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2019, 08:19:41 pm »
+10
Cut the vid short bc mum called me when I was like 300m from home to see if I wanted to go to the shops (and buy Yakult) but sure here it is :')
Spoiler

Other things to mention:
- I have learnt to assert dominance in the common/games room by sitting in a little space munching on maccas. Most first years in the room were mortified today.
- Games club doesn't seem to work smoothly without someone (usually me) asking if rooms are booked and event made and advertised on FB
- Music/Arts club are going to see a comedy tomorrow night- which is pretty cool I guess, I've not really been one to go to these things, but I'm dragged along because of Monash's incident management trained people requirement :D
- Royal Parade in Parkville is a pretty road to walk along, I can't seem to not take a photo (or two) whilst walking from Barkly Square (nearest decent shopping centre to uni) to uni haha. :')
- I am writing this post to avoid making an excel sheet rn.

See y'all on the flipside of break! x

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2019, 02:41:57 pm »
+9
It's been a while!

It's the tail end of week 9 and I'm uh sick. :( I dragged myself in for a 2h lecture this morning and then decided to go home instead of attempting to not be a hazard in the lab this afternoon. :-[ (this is the first lab I've ever missed, oh well I guess, my health does matter :'))

Anyways subject specific updates:
Analytical methods:
We've essentially finished with HPLC, and we're starting to look at LCMS. I prefer the new lecturer's teaching style in comparison to Laurence (the UC), however, the content is even more dry than HPLC theory.
I got to use a UPLC (ultra high pressure liquid chromatography) machine last week instead of the manual HPLCs, so that was pretty cool.

Industrial formulation:
We've started our project, however it's not really going to plan- getting things to be the way we need them is going to take a bit of work. At least we know how to make what we need too now.
I'm nervous for the final report and presentation for this tbh!
(I wish I could talk more about the project, but I can't because it's a real industry one so I have to keep quiet aha :'))

Biotech
I had a 10% computer game assessment and I thought it was the easiest assessment that I've ever done. In contrast, writing a 1500 word report on something that has about 2 published documents on it was really tough- I had to start waffling about the disease and not just the history and development of the drug!
I also had my oral presentation on that report on Tuesday and I had a mind-blank, mid-speech, but otherwise I think I did okay enough.

Product Formulation
We've finished making both tablets and creams, and now we're just writing and recording our reports and SOPs. Nothing really much to mention here, aside from the fact that the creams did smell nice!

(Also last week, I won a couple of tickets to go to an event at the Sydney Writer's festival, which was pretty cool! I picked up a couple of books at the event, and I had fun! It was very much well worth the train-ride back home that got me back to Melbourne at 7:30am Monday, just before my 9am Monday class aha :'))

Catch y'all next time! ^-^

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2019, 04:09:22 pm »
+8
At this point of the semester, I'm not entirely too sure if I'm doing pharmsci, or if I'm just sitting here making videos haha.

Coming soon: Unipharm Episode IV: A New Cream :')

It's going to take all afternoon and maybe night to render all my titles. I'm going to go read a book.

That is all for now ^-^

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2019, 04:20:54 pm »
We've finished making both tablets and creams,

Creams as in beauty creams? That's so cool! ;D
Also what aspects of pharmsci do you like and dislike? It seems like such an interesting course :)
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #132 on: May 31, 2019, 03:59:31 pm »
+2
Creams as in beauty creams? That's so cool! ;D
Also what aspects of pharmsci do you like and dislike? It seems like such an interesting course :)
Pretty much! It is pretty cool!

Likes: all the cool hands-on labs I've lucky to have thus far and nearly all the formulation and biotechnology subjects.
Disliked: Colloid chemistry and organic chemistry units.
If you want in details about any units I've taken, feel free to chuck me a PM or check my reviews out on the Monash Subject Review thread! :)

Sorry for the short reply, I have a million things to do atm haha! ^-^

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +288
« Reply #133 on: May 31, 2019, 06:49:12 pm »
+1
Pretty much! It is pretty cool!

Likes: all the cool hands-on labs I've lucky to have thus far and nearly all the formulation and biotechnology subjects.
Disliked: Colloid chemistry and organic chemistry units.
If you want in details about any units I've taken, feel free to chuck me a PM or check my reviews out on the Monash Subject Review thread! :)

Sorry for the short reply, I have a million things to do atm haha! ^-^
aaaah thank you so much! I'm really considering this as a career option...I'll be sure to read your reviews ;D
btw are you planning on completing a PhD?
2020: Biology [43]
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #134 on: May 31, 2019, 09:25:37 pm »
+1
aaaah thank you so much! I'm really considering this as a career option...I'll be sure to read your reviews ;D
btw are you planning on completing a PhD?
I'm not too sure what I'm considering after this year, honestly, but a PhD would a little while away for me! :)
PhDs are sound like a lot of hard work, according to my  lab demonstrators and tutors haha!