Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 12:20:30 pm

Author Topic: Focusing  (Read 2717 times)

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Focusing
« on: May 08, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »
Hello!

I'm having trouble focusing/concentrating in class, when I'm doing homework, when I'm trying to study. Is there any advice anyone can give me? I want to do well so I can study neuroscience but I just can't concentrate.

Thank you!!!
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

Hoping to do Neuroscience at Uni!

Maraos

• Trendsetter
  • Atar Notes = Productive procrastination.... right?
  • Respect: +27
Re: Focusing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:20:14 pm »
+2
Hello!

I'm having trouble focusing/concentrating in class, when I'm doing homework, when I'm trying to study. Is there any advice anyone can give me? I want to do well so I can study neuroscience but I just can't concentrate.

Thank you!!!
I think everyone suffers this problem from time to time... And i myself often get caught up in YouTube videos, TV and various other distractions that take my focus away from my work. Firstly, you need to understand that this is normal and lets face it, studying isn't the most exciting thing and probably won't be so don't think too hard about it :D
Having said that, obviously things can get out of hand and you can find yourself spending way too much time getting distracted. Some of the most useful techniques i use include;
- Creating a time-table with clearly set out times for studying and rests. By doing this you gain a better understanding of your short term goals and you can allocate time for rests/'distractions'. I find that if i just randomly start studying without a guide I am more vulnerable to distractions.
-Downloading software that blocks distracting websites/social media (I haven't resorted to this yet... but i probably should haha my YouTube addiction is getting out of hand)
-Removing all technology from your room (move your phone as far away as possible and if you don't need your laptop dont use it... it is way too easy to begin working on something and then wander off onto the internet when working on a laptop)
Everyone has their own techniques but those are the ones that work best for me :D

2016 HSC:
Mathematics
(1 down 6 to go... :D)

2017 HSC:
Physics
Extension 1 Mathematics
Design and Technology
Ancient History
History Extension
English Advanced

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:35:24 pm »
+2
Hello!

Thank you!!!
I'm sure that most people find it difficult to concentrate. I've posted this somewhere else, but I think this applies to you too. Stuff that helps me concentrate and stops my procrastination.
-During class I always sit at the front, so I'm forced to pay attention
-Making a checklist or to do list
-Making a schedule (for me eventually I stop following the schedule when things get busy, but it worked fine for a couple of weeks for me and may work better for you)
-Going to the library to study, which helps to motivate me to study and also helps me concentrate on my work
-Having a study area at home specifically for study only (This is so I hardly ever procrastinate in this study area, allowing me to concentrate on my work)
-Making sure I have a balance of study and relaxation, so that I don't burn out
-Having a set goal that you want to achieve (I constantly mentally remind myself of my goals, which helps a bit with motivation)
-Have at least 8 hours of sleep. This makes me feel more lively and energetic. Generally if I don't get enough sleep then after school I feel tired and do no work

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:39:13 pm »
Thank you!
I've tried some of those things so many times but it never works I just start wandering off into the clouds with the spurring of something I read/did etc. while studying and go off a tangent. I do this while at training for MMA as well. It's really difficult. I've always been this but I seem to be getting worse.  :-\
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 08:40:25 pm »
+2
Awesome tips Maraos and zhen ;D

Italia, I'll link you to a few guides too, hopefully they are helpful ;D

- Sources of Procrastination
- Beating Procrastination

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 07:23:50 pm »
+1
I was having a chat yesterday to someone about exactly this. Looking at my grades you'd hardly recognise that I have an extremely short attention span. I always need to be stimulated, and now I've learnt how to make this work for my learning. I have days where I literally need a phone break every 15 minutes because that's how long I'll last before my mind starts wondering and I don't take the lesson seriously anymore. In Uni lectures, I used to feel like I had to get up and get out, but now I've realised that even just scrolling through photos on my phone is enough of a distraction that I can still be listening to my teacher/professor, but it's just enough distraction that I can engage mindlessly with photos on my phone. I like fast paced activities, and I know how I learn best. You can't do a whole lot in class without speaking to your teacher and saying, "hey, I'm struggling to pay attention and it's not you, it's me." Hopefully your teacher will appreciate you communicating about your struggle to stay on task and will be able to organise with you some suggestions. For me, I literally need to zone out for a few minutes and do something mindlessly while still listening to my teacher, and then I came back to it. Maybe doodling on your page in class is enough to get you through.

Then, when you're at home, you need to be more creative with it. Consider: Will you benefit from putting your phone away for 30 minutes and then having 10 minutes of study? Do you study best outside, where there's lots of minor things to distract you for a few sections while you're studying so you always feel stimulated? Or do you study best in utter silence so there is nottttthing to distract you?

Like I said, I recognise my attention span is remarkably short, but removing all distractions doesn't help me. I need to keep some distractions around in order to stimulate my mind for a few seconds, maybe a minute, and then I can drift back into study again. It's taken a while for me to become comfortable with this, I used to fight it and force myself to not be distracted at all. But giving in has actually proven very effective, and now I know how I study best!

Hopefully this gives you some ideas :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Aussie1Italia2

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 09:10:16 pm »
Thank you so much, Elyse. That's exactly my problem I've always been distracted easily and have a considerably short attention span that's lead to some awkward situations.
HSC 2017:
English Standard
Mathematics
Biology
Chemistry
PDHPE
Italian Beginners

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 10:17:03 pm »
Thank you so much, Elyse. That's exactly my problem I've always been distracted easily and have a considerably short attention span that's lead to some awkward situations.

Prego! Buona fortuna con i tuoi studi! ;)

I know that teachers aren't always fine with students being on their phones, but I know this works best for me. I have lots of things I can do without really paying attention to my phone, and I know it works. I'm a one-million tabs open at all times, phone in hand, talking a million miles an hour, kinda girl. It's taken until this year for me to fully recognise what works best! So try a few things, and good luck :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 12:53:00 am »
Usually the hardest thing for me is starting to do the work but once I start I can get on a roll and finish fast. Also if I LIKE the subject e.g. maths or sciences I tend to not get distracted but for english I get distracted.

For me listening to motivational music such as nightcore/dubsteps/EDM etc helps me work faster ESPECIALLY when I'm TIRED (which I always am since I sleep like 1am or more everyday xD) and motivates me to do the work.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9