Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:17:09 pm

Author Topic: The Monthly Cooking Challenge  (Read 21310 times)

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
The Monthly Cooking Challenge
« on: March 01, 2021, 05:11:28 pm »
+18
The Monthly Cooking Challenge

Welcome to The Monthly Cooking Challenge! Starting on the first of each month will be a cooking or baking challenge for anyone to participate in. There will be two types of challenges, one that is ingredient based and the other is dish based. On the first of each month, an ingredient or dish will be posted, and your task is to either make a meal that has the ingredient, or make the dish.

The item you make can be either your own making or from following a recipe. Feel free to post a recipe with your picture. To participate, all you have to do is make a meal following the challenge for the month, and post it here. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, it can be from as simple as a daily snack you might have or an elaborate meal. What you make can be anything you want, as long as it fits the month's criteria. It can be sweet or savory, the challenge is what you make of it. Good Luck! 

March Challenge

To start off the challenge, this month is going to be all about:

Almonds!

This is such an amazing ingredient that comes in many forums and can be used in many ways. It can be used as the nut itself, milk, flour, meal, crunched up, as a yogurt, you name it. This is such a versatile ingredient that can be used from deserts to savory meals, I can't wait to see what everyone creates! Good luck everyone!

2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
Re: The Monthly Cooking Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 12:31:22 pm »
+7
Man, I haven't cooked/baked anything for fun in wayyyyy too long. Thank you for the inspiration! I've never used almonds before but have so many ideas now, thank you!!
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 02:04:06 pm »
+8
Yes! Almonds are great and an excuse to buy some is all good with me.

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 08:30:56 am »
+13
Thank you I haven't baked in ages so this was a really good motivation!  ;D

It's an almond & ricotta cake! I've never made a cake with ricotta before, it's really nice it makes it moist and creamy, but doesn't taste as rich as cheesecake. The almonds make it really fun to eat because of the small crunchy parts embedded!

I looked up almond recipes on Pinterest and this was like the 2nd thing that came up (it's rare for me to make a decision so fast), the photo of the recipe looked very tasty. Here's the https://thisdelicioushouse.com/almond-ricotta-cake-italian-dessert/ . I improvised and added some milk at the end because the mixture felt too thick to me, so idk if that was necessary or if I should have just trusted the recipe haha. The cake was a bit more dense than I expected but that might have been because I kept getting sidetracked and going and doing other stuff while cooking so maybe all the air left the beaten wet ingredients while I was eating dinner, I don't think the denseness is bad though because the creamy ricotta-ness makes it a bit like a slice. I also halved the sugar because I'm not too keen on uber sweet desserts.

I like how flaked almonds look as decorations!

Looking forward to seeing what other people make!! 🤩
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2021, 11:49:30 am »
+7
I improvised and added some milk at the end because the mixture felt too thick to me, so idk if that was necessary or if I should have just trusted the recipe haha. The cake was a bit more dense than I expected but that might have been because I kept getting sidetracked and going and doing other stuff while cooking so maybe all the air left the beaten wet ingredients while I was eating dinner, I don't think the denseness is bad though because the creamy ricotta-ness makes it a bit like a slice.

Generally once you add liquid (if using baking powder) or acidity (if using baking soda) you want to get it in the oven fairly fast for it to rise properly.

I always modify recipes as I feel rather than strictly following the recipe and that works well for me :)

Made a pear slice today for housemates + I'll bring some into the honours office but I forgot to buy almonds so it was off prompt :(
Maybe I can pick up some silvered ones and place those on top.

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:13:13 pm »
+14
Hi! I made a thing!

Vegan almond slice, anyone? I made it today and it's pretty good! My first attempt at a proper vegan dessert. It's made with almond meal and wholemeal flour, coconut oil, caster sugar, maple syrup and chopped almonds I fished out of the unsalted mixed nuts bag. Here's some photos of it :))

tap the photos to unstretch

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 09:55:26 pm »
+11
Being the late person I am, I ended up making macrons for this months challenge! They were pink macrons with chocolate ganache in the centre. I want to make raspberry next!

Thank you to everyone that has participated this month! It's been amazing to watch all the creations come to life and see just how versatile almonds are!

What will next months ingredient be.....  ;)

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2021, 12:46:58 pm »
+11
April Challenge

Since this month has Easter going on, what a better time to use up all that chocolate! This month's ingredient is:

Chocolate!

You can use any type of chocolate, from milk, white, dark or even ruby if you're feeling fancy. It can be incorporated in any way, from easter eggs, to choc chips, baking bars, any type you can think of. Bonus points if you can use up easter eggs!

Thank you to all the amazing almond entries from last month, I can't wait to see what everyone makes in April, good luck!

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 08:30:46 am »
+11
Chocolate mousse is probably the only dessert I can make without a recipe because I've made it so many times.
Indredients:
-6 eggs (separated)
-250ml cream, whipped,
-200g chocolate
(original recipe had 25g of butter but i sometimes leave it out to try make it *slightly* healthier)
Method:
-melt chocolate. stir in egg yolks. (and butter)
-whip cream and fold in.
-whip egg whites and fold in.

Unfortunately for some reason this time the cream did not whip properly, so the mousse was less fluffy and light. There are a few factors such as using long life cream (i normally use fresh), cream being at room temp, or not rinsing beaters in between eggs and cream that may have caused this. Edit: eek I sound like i'm writing a lab report lolol muscle memory(?)

Also, if you make chocolate mousse it gets its taste from the chocolate you use so use try to use real chocolate not cooking chocolate!

Spoiler

beating egg whites is so satisfying
ingredients
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:21:03 am by Owlbird83 »

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »
+4
That looks absolutely delicious! I haven't had chocolate moose in ages, but you have me craving it right now. Even if the cream didn't quite whip up it still looks amazing! Thanks for sharing  :D   

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2021, 10:48:47 pm »
+5
I'm quite late today, but I thought I'd finally upload my creation for the month and announce May's mystery ingredient.

I used 45% dark chocolate to create a gluten free chocolate cake! It turned out great, and it was what I used for my birthday celebration the other day.
Recipe:
https://bakeschool.com/simple-gluten-free-chocolate-cake/

Slice Pic

Chocolate Goodness
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:01:22 pm by Geoo »

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 10:55:44 pm »
+8
May Challenge

Ahh May, the last month of Autumn, it's time for coziness, warmness and the feeling of getting ready for winter. As the temperature decreases, what's better than wanting to rug up and feel a sense of worth form the food you make. This month's ingredient is:

Cinnamon!

You can use the spice in anyway you want. Whether that is making a chai latte, a cake, putting it in anything to enhance the flavor the world is your oyster with Cinnamon! It can be the main item or can be a background spice, it's up to you! Sweet or Savory it has many uses, so I wish you all luck an anticipate what you can create.

Thank you to all the amazing almond entries from last month, I can't wait to see what everyone makes in May, good luck!

Geoo

• Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2021, 12:01:16 am »
+7
Yes I should be in bed but I decided to make a late night cinnamon and banana cake! I normally would add walnuts but I couldn't be bothered!  It's my own modified recipe!

1) 2 Cups of plain flour (I use gluten free)
2) 2 tsp Baking Powder
3) 3/4 cup of caster sugar
4) 2 eggs
5) 1/2 cup of milk
6) 3 ripe mashed banana's
7) 2 tsp of vanilla essence
8 ) A ton of cinnamon (I do about 15 shakes)

I just dump everything into the bowl, and place in a lined cake tin about 10 inches and bake for 35 minutes!

There is only half of this cake left as it's already been eaten quite a bit  ;)

Poet

• Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 03:08:05 pm »
+6
Oh yum, that cake looks delicious!!

Cinnamon is kind of my ~thing~ when it comes to baking so I decided to try apple and cinnamon muffins!! They're so yum and comforting, I'll definitely make them again. Here's a photo:
Spoiler

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2021, 08:46:40 am »
+7
I made granola for the first time!

I loosely followed this recipe. It's actually so simple, i think i'll be making it again.

Spoiler