Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 06:25:07 pm

Author Topic: 🧬Practice Biology Questions; Marking and Feedback!  (Read 10052 times)  Share 

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
🧬Practice Biology Questions; Marking and Feedback!
« on: February 06, 2021, 10:47:09 pm »
+10
🧬Practice Biology Questions

🌴Hey Bio students!

Four words; Practice questions are essential.

To do well in HSC Biology, you need to be able to adapt the content you have learnt at school, to any possible examinable situation (including the final HSC exam). This is crucial as NESA can choose, create or combine any question type they want, meaning you need not only know the content thoroughly but also how to approach examination questions.

So, in this thread, I will post a question (hopefully every day), and provide feedback (my thoughts on what could be better etc.) and an estimated mark on your responses. Anyone can have a go at these questions!

It may not be anywhere near your HSC Biology exam yet, but I believe that consistency is the key to success; Day in and day out, doing little bits, will eventually add up to a large result.

One of my favourite quotes is:
"Today I will do what others won't, so I can do what others can't"

Goodluck and have fun!🍀
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 11:05:07 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
Re: 🧬Practice Biology Questions; Marking and Feedback!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 08:40:24 pm »
+4
Module 5 - Question 1
(Source: 2020 HSC Biology Paper; Can be found on NESA.com.au)

Hey Bio students! Here is the first question, goodluck! :)

Question:
A student drew a diagram to model part of the process of Meiosis:

1a)
Explain the misunderstanding of Meiosis shown in this model. (3 Marks)

1b)
Explain the effect of Meiosis on Genetic Variation (3 Marks)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:25:57 pm by Coolmate »
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 09:01:56 pm »
+2
Module 5 - Question 2
Hey Bio students! Here is the second question, goodluck! :)

Question:
Determine why Genetic Variation is essential for survival (6 Marks)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Maroon and Gold Never Fold

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:42:07 pm »
+1
I can't really do 1.a but I'll give 1.b a crack

Meiosis is a form of cell division where four haploid gametes which are not genetically identically are produced. Due to the process of crossing which occurs in prophase I, chromatids of homologous chromosome experience genetic recombination where genetic information swaps between them. Due to this process, all gametes produced via meiosis contain genetic variation. By this, all of an organism's offspring will posses genetic diversity which will allow a population to adapt and survive adverse effects in the environemt, E.g diseases.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 10:44:53 pm by Maroon and Gold Never Fold »

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 11:06:10 pm »
+1
Genetic variation is the diversity of the genetic makeup between organisms in a population. Organisms obatain genetic variation through the mixing of parental DNA, mutations and crossing over. Populations that posses genetic variation have the ability to better adapt to selection pressures placed on them as they are more likely to have a favourable trait, this allows the population to evolve. Without genetic variation, populations will be genetically identical, leaving them highly susecptible to adverse factors within the environment such as diseases or a change in climate which will cause a drop in population or extinction of a species. Thus, genetic diversity is pivotal in the survival of a species since it allows organisms to adapt to a changing environment whilst ensuring their survival.

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2021, 11:06:45 pm »
+3
I can't really do 1.a but I'll give 1.b a crack

Meiosis is a form of cell division where four haploid gametes which are not genetically identically are produced. Due to the process of crossing which occurs in prophase I, chromatids of homologous chromosome experience genetic recombination where genetic information swaps between them. Due to this process, all gametes produced via meiosis contain genetic variation. By this, all of an organism's offspring will posses genetic diversity which will allow a population to adapt and survive adverse effects in the environemt, E.g diseases.

Hey Maroon and Gold Never Fold! :D

Thankyou for attempting these questions, below I have provided some feedback and comments:

1a) Explanation
For this question, you had to know what Maternal and Paternal homologous chromosomes are and distinguish between them. Maternal homologous chromosomes are chromosomes that are from the mother, whereas Paternal homologous chromosomes are chromosomes that are from the father. The misunderstanding in the students model is that Maternal and Paternal homologous chromosomes are paired together, NOT separate, when in fact Maternal homologous chromosome is one and Paternal homologous chromosome is one. For Example:

1b) Feedback {I did this sentence by sentence}:
Meiosis is a form of cell division where four haploid (n) gametes which are not genetically identically {You could also say, "genetically unique"} are produced. {Awesome definition! You have included great detail in the first sentence and key words like, cell division, haploid gametes and not genetically identical.}👏

Due to the process of Meiosis has a substantial effect upon genetic diversity due to {Here, it is good that you are getting into the meat of what the question is asking} the process of cCrossing Over (occurs in Prophase I) which occurs in prophase I, where chromatids of homologous chromosome experience undergo genetic recombination where genetic information swaps between them is exchanged.

As a result Due to this process, all gametes produced by via mMeiosis contain genetic variation variability within its alleles, thus its genome. By this, all of an organism's offspring will posses genetic diversity which will allowing a population {Great terminology} to adapt and survive adverse effects in the environemt a potentially changing environment, as determined by Meiosis, E.g diseases. {Great example! Now expand on it, e.g.; "For Example, a disease that may cause one population of a species to die, but not another, assisting in the continuity of a species."}

ORIGINAL RESPONSE:

ALL OF THE EDITS:
Meiosis is a form of cell division where four haploid (n) gametes which are genetically unique are produced. Meiosis has a substantial effect upon genetic diversity due to Crossing Over (occurs in Prophase I) where chromatids of homologous chromosomes undergo genetic recombination where genetic information is exchanged. As a result, all gametes produced by Meiosis contain genetic variability within alleles, thus its genome. Hence, all of an organism's offspring will possess genetic diversity, allowing a population to adapt and survive a potentially changing environment, as determined by Meiosis. For Example, a disease that may cause one population of a species to die, but not another, assisting in the continuity of a species.

MARK AND GENERAL FEEDBACK:
3/3
Awesome job!🙌 This was a great response and would definitely be in the 2-3 mark range. The overall feedback I would give you is that you need to expand on the example (rather than just the word), if you can avoid it try not to repeat the starts of sentences and try to find synonyms (e.g. "Due to the").

You incorporated a great use of terminology in this response and including an example demonstrated a depth of knowledge and wider reading than just the syllabus. Also, you explained one of the most prominent processes that lead to genetic variation in Meiosis.

Good Job Maroon and Gold Never Fold!✔
Coolmate 8)

***I will mark the next response***

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 01:50:26 pm »
+1
thanks for the feedback

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 11:14:38 pm »
+3
Genetic variation is the diversity of the genetic makeup between organisms in a population. Organisms obatain genetic variation through the mixing of parental DNA, mutations and crossing over. Populations that posses genetic variation have the ability to better adapt to selection pressures placed on them as they are more likely to have a favourable trait, this allows the population to evolve. Without genetic variation, populations will be genetically identical, leaving them highly susecptible to adverse factors within the environment such as diseases or a change in climate which will cause a drop in population or extinction of a species. Thus, genetic diversity is pivotal in the survival of a species since it allows organisms to adapt to a changing environment whilst ensuring their survival.

Hey! :D

Question 2 Feedback - {I did this sentence by sentence}
Genetic variation is the diversity of the genetic makeup between organisms in a population. {Perfect! You started your response with a definition of a key word, introducing what you will talk about}

Organisms obatain gaingenetic variation through the mixing interactions of parental {and Maternal} DNA, mutations and Crossing Over (Occurs in Prophase I).

{Here, you could put an example - "For Example, Mutations act as an evolutionary force ensuring that allele frequency changes over a period of time, so a species can adapt to a potentially changing environment. This illustrates the necessity of genetic variability for species survival." --> Something like that, not exact}

Populations that posses genetic variation have the ability to better adapt to selection pressures placed on them as they are more likely to have a favourable trait, this allowsing the population to evolve.

Without genetic variation, populations will be genetically identical, leaving them highly susceptible to adverse factors within the environment such as diseases or a change in climate which will cause a drop in population or extinction of a species. {Fantastic! This is a great sentence and contains crucial information that the question is looking for}

Thus, genetic diversity is pivotal {✔} in the survival of a species since it allows organisms to adapt to a changing environment whilst ensuring their survival. {Yep! This is a great last sentence, as it really ties in your idea AND links back to the question}

ORIGINAL RESPONSE:

ALL OF THE EDITS:
Genetic variation is the diversity of the genetic makeup between organisms in a population. Organisms gain genetic variation through interactions of Paternal and Maternal DNA, mutations and Crossing Over (Occurs in Prophase I). For Example, mutations act as an evolutionary force ensuring that allele frequency changes over a period of time, so a species can adapt to a potentially changing environment. This illustrates the necessity of genetic variability for species survival. Populations that possess genetic variation have the ability to better adapt to selection pressures placed on them as they are more likely to have a favourable trait, allowing the population to evolve. Without genetic variation, populations will be genetically identical, leaving them highly susceptible to adverse factors within the environment such as diseases or a change in climate which will cause a drop in population or extinction of a species. Thus, genetic diversity is pivotal in the survival of a species since it allows organisms to adapt to a changing environment whilst ensuring their survival.

MARK AND GENERAL FEEDBACK:
4-5/6
Good job!👍 This was a good response and would definitely be in the 4-5 mark range. The overall feedback I would give you is that you need more examples (about 2 for this question) to support what you are saying and some words needed to be capitalised

You incorporated a great use of terminology in this response and targeted what the question was asking for. You also started off with a definition which was good.

Good Job✔
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:30:18 pm by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2021, 08:24:16 pm »
+3
Module 6 - Question 3
(Source: HSC Biology (Additional Sample Examination Questions Document); Can be found on NESA.com.au)

Hey Bio students! Here is the third question, goodluck! :)

Question:
'The application of reproductive technologies in plant and animal breeding limits genetic diversity'

To what extent is this statement correct? (6 Marks)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2021, 11:27:55 pm »
+2
'The application of reproductive technologies in plant and animal breeding limits genetic diversity'

The majority of reproductive technologies themselves do not limit genetic diversity, however, its the way they are used which result in a decrease in genetic variation among organisms.

The major reproductive technologies used in the agricultural industry are artificial pollitnation where pollen from the anther is artificially transferred to a plant with desirable traits. Artifical semination in which sperm from a selected male with desirable traits are artificially transferred to a desirable female. And cloning of both plants and animals in which an identical copy of the organism is produced.

Artifical insemination and pollination of plants and animals aims to produce offspring with favourable traits such as increased yield, aesthetically pleasing colour and increased size. These two technolgies do not directly result in a lack of genetical diversity as fertilisation involves two parents with genetically unique gametes. Although, the way in which these technologies are used inevatibly limit genetic variation. Farmers artifical inseminate and pollinate plants and livestock to obtain favourable traits which result in the majority of the population possesing these traits, this leads to reduced genetic variation making them susceptible to changes in the environment. This can be observed in the Belgium Blue as they lack genetic diversity as a result of decades of artificial insemination of selected males.

Cloning on the other hand directly limits genetic variation unlike the technoliges mentioned before hand. The organsims produced through this method are genetically identically and are disease succeptible.

The application of cloning within the agricultural industry has directly limited genetic variation to a great extent. Although the artifical insemination and pollination of plants and animals do not reduce genetic diversity, it is the way they are used that result in a lack of genetic diversity among populations.

p.s - I find it hard to integrate my definitions within my answer. Any tips on how to intergrate definitions and answer questions faster

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 08:45:59 am »
+4
Hey,

Didn't do HSC bio but evolutionary ecology is a big interest area for me (& I'm doing my honours in ecology and conservation bio this year!)

Couple of things that stood out to me:
- you put some full stops in there but the content of your 2nd paragraph is one long sentence
- your third paragraph is pretty great! [this is the thing] -> [this is the type of impact it has] -> [why it has that impact] -> [example]
- cloning paragraph: you've said two things that are true but it's [this is a thing] -> [this is a thing]  without connecting those ideas.

An example where you connect those ideas instead of just listing:

Unlike the technologies mentioned above, cloning directly limits genetic variation. This is because the clones it produces organisms genetically identical to the parent, rather than combining genetic information from multiple parents as is the case in sexual reproduction. [I'm thinking you probably don't need to talk about different types of genetic variation but if you do, do it here.]

Hope this helps :)

Edit: I didn't do HSC bio, I did do VCE bio
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 07:16:23 am by Bri MT »

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2021, 10:58:32 pm »
Hey,

Didn't do VCE bio but evolutionary ecology is a big interest area for me (& I'm doing my honours in ecology and conservation bio this year!)

Couple of things that stood out to me:
- you put some full stops in there but the content of your 2nd paragraph is one long sentence
- your third paragraph is pretty great! [this is the thing] -> [this is the type of impact it has] -> [why it has that impact] -> [example]
- cloning paragraph: you've said two things that are true but it's [this is a thing] -> [this is a thing]  without connecting those ideas.

An example where you connect those ideas instead of just listing:

Unlike the technologies mentioned above, cloning directly limits genetic variation. This is because the clones it produces organisms genetically identical to the parent, rather than combining genetic information from multiple parents as is the case in sexual reproduction. [I'm thinking you probably don't need to talk about different types of genetic variation but if you do, do it here.]

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for the feedback

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2021, 08:51:13 pm »
+2
Module 6 - Question 4
(Source: HSC Biology (Additional Sample Examination Questions Document); Can be found on NESA.com.au)

Hey Bio students! Here is the fourth question, goodluck! :)

Question:
The flow diagram below illustrates the effect of a point mutation on an organism's genetic sequence.

(a) Outline the series of events from stages 2 to 4 that resulted in the faulty protein (3 Marks)

(b) Describe how a type of mutagen may have caused the changes in stage 2. (2 Marks)

(c) Given the information in the chart shown, describe the effect caused by the mutation in stage 4 and the effect this would have on the organism. (3 Marks)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:32:11 pm by Coolmate »

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2021, 08:21:24 pm »
+3
Module 7 - Question 1

Hey Bio students! Oh how it has been a long time ::)
Here a question for Module 7, goodluck! :)

Question:
Scientific advances have resulted in new methods of managing plant diseases and insect pests.

Describe how TWO of these methods have changed the management of plant diseases and/ or insect pests. (5 Marks)

Goodluck! 8)

🎓University 2021 - 2025:

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

lbryant19

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2021, 12:40:44 am »
+1
Hey mate, was wondering if I could have some feedback on this answer, took me about 10mins so I might have missed a key word here and there, but we'll see.

Reproductive Technologies in plant and animal breeding processes have been of significant benefit the the agricultural industry, allowing for higher quality, yield and more genetically consistent produce which are of a commercial benefit to farmers. Despite this however, these reproductive technologies can limit genetic diversity through increasing the genetic homogeneity of population, seen in the processes of Artificial Insemination and Pollination.

Artificial Insemination is the reproduction technology whereby, sperm from a donor male is injected into the reproductive tract of a female. This is mostly used in the cattle industry and its application decreases stock injury, is more efficient than natural insemination and allows farmers to selectively breed desirable traits into cattle. Artificial insemination can limit genetic diversity as the use of the sperm of an individual with highly sought after traits to inseminate many female cows decreases the amount of variation in the gene pool as well as the amount of unique alleles within that population. Additionally using the same sperm over more than one mating season can result in a level of inbreeding which further reduced the genetic variation among cattle and can lead to recessive diseases becoming prevalent in offspring.

Artificial pollination is a reproductive technology conducted with plants and involves artificially pollinating flowers with a pollen containing desirable genetic traits which are intended to be expressed in the crop. This is normally conducted either by hand or plane and is used in monoculture crops and orchards. The application of this technology reduces genetic variation as it limits and restricts the variance of alleles and unique genetic information in the population. By reducing genetic variation, artificial pollination also leaves crops more susceptible to disease and increase the chance that one strand of a disease will wipe out the entire crop.