Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 06:00:55 pm

Author Topic: Last minute tips for the selective school exams  (Read 176859 times)  Share 

Jaybird

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Last minute tips for the selective school exams
« Reply #225 on: January 09, 2021, 01:49:58 am »
So I'm year 9 this year (2021) and considering applying for JMSS. Any advice? Already on planning doing Hendersons. Also, how similar would it be to a scholarship exam?

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #226 on: January 09, 2021, 12:17:51 pm »
Hi,
I'm in Year 9 as well, but I think the maths test will be around the same. The exams are still provided by Edutest. The only difference is the science stuff.1

Sanju271

• Adventurer
« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2021, 10:40:24 pm »
Hi
My name is abhi and I am going to sit for SHS this year . Sorry to hear that you did not able to make to SHS even you got three superiors. 5% rule is really a killer rule.

Can you please advise me the best books or texts for each one of verbal, numerical , reading and maths tests preparations. Also, which coaching is best - like james ann Henderson etc

Regards
Abhi

Alomoac

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2021, 12:04:00 pm »
+1
Hi
My name is abhi and I am going to sit for SHS this year . Sorry to hear that you did not able to make to SHS even you got three superiors. 5% rule is really a killer rule.

Can you please advise me the best books or texts for each one of verbal, numerical , reading and maths tests preparations. Also, which coaching is best - like james ann Henderson etc

Regards
Abhi

the best text book is jayce battalones
"It's not about being nice, it's about doing the right thing."

Meg210706

• Forum Regular
« Reply #229 on: February 13, 2021, 08:23:19 am »
Hey so I sat the selective test last year and I got into Mghs with 3 sups and a high average. Only 2 people in my entire cohort sat the test and I was the only one to make it in. As many people have mentioned before me I think your school really impacts whether you get an offer or not but of course that doesn’t mean that just because you go to a non competitive school you can slack off a bit, you still need to receive at least 2 or more superiors and no averages to get an offer.

Personally, practice tests are the best way to prepare. After you’ve learnt the basics of the year 10 curriculum I suggest that you either sign up for a tutor who supplies practice tests such as James An or buy online practice tests from workshops like Hendersons.

This might sound a little hypocritical but last years test was nothing like the practice papers I had done in the past, all of the tests except Reading Comp were insanely different and numerical and maths really stuffed me up since I wasn’t fully prepared for the questions they gave. I won’t repeat what the questions were since a couple of people already explained them in detail before me.

Many people probably have told you not to try and work towards a mark out of 60 but my tutor would always tel me to aim for a 100% in every test so that I’d end up with say 40/60 or something along those lines which should be enough to gain u a spot for a superior but in the end it dose really depend on how the rest of the students do on the test. For example, I absolutely ruined the math test haha I guessed like 20 questions and perhaps all the other students found it hard as well because I ended up getting a superior on it and even tho I found the numerical hard too, everyone else did way better than me and I ended up with a high average.

Just because you don’t get an offer for a school doesn’t mean that you aren’t intelligent or worthy. More often than not the 5% rule is quite harsh and I know lots of people who were worthy of achieving a spot that didn’t make it even with 4 superiors.

Not getting into a selective school isn’t the end of the world and honestly there are so many private or even public schools out there that receive nearly If not the same atar results as selective schools.

I hope everyone who sits the test this year gets to do it in June unlike last year lol if anyone needs some practice tests or advice I’ll be happy to help :)

JZou276

• Trailblazer
« Reply #230 on: February 13, 2021, 05:54:34 pm »
yep, you are correct. I got the same as score as you but didn't get in.

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #231 on: February 27, 2021, 05:54:34 pm »
Hey everyone!! I read the whole thing on this thread and wanted to ask if anyone is giving the test for 2022?? Drop some tips and topics you should cover for the test as I am giving the test this year too!!
Hoping to get some replies!! :))

Sanju271

• Adventurer
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2021, 11:52:31 pm »
Hi Ureba
I am going to sit for selective school test in 2022.

Will be very thankful to you, if you can give me some tips, especially for verbal reasoning and writing .

Thanks in advance

Sonu

ureba

• Trendsetter
« Reply #233 on: March 04, 2021, 07:28:19 am »
I am also personally stuck with verbal reasoning and writing lol but I do know that you should read novels and then learn the vocabulary in them or see how verbs, adjectives, nouns, etc end in so when they ask for similar meanings for a word if it's from the same group like if both of them are verbs they are similar. You can see if they are verbs by how they end or start. Hope this makes sense in I am confusing!:/

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #234 on: March 25, 2021, 09:03:42 pm »
Hi, I am also doing the test this year. Actually quite nervous but I know I have put in the work and effort and I will continue to do so. I go to JAC and I am doing better in verbal reasoning than numerical reasoning even though this week it was the opposite. I did badly in verbal but excellent in numerical. I just did Henderson numerical reasoning before that and I don't know if it was because of that or not but yeah. Yay Hendersons I guess🥳. For writing, I just write an essay a week for JAC and they mark it so I am improving that. Although you can just post it on the writing sub-post( I don't know what it is called sorry, if I find out I will put it in) and they will give you tips to improve. Hope that lead helped.😊✌️👍😎😂😇
Hope we all get in.
😀
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

sj33584

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2021, 05:58:19 pm »
what to study for maths and how to write analytical at superior level
How many sups for mhs/nossal
Words for the test such as pique and random words
this is for year 8 into year 9 exam
1 superior for principals discretion

Flight350

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #236 on: May 09, 2021, 04:10:21 pm »
hi pi,
please help me. i am in year 8 and my maths and English levels are currently year 8 level as well. the selective school I am applying for requires me to get a 60% in a year 10 advanced test as well as be the top 5% from my school, although I don't think anyone is applying from my school.  i only have 6 weeks to prepare for the test.

Einsteinium

• Trailblazer
  • Cricket
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #237 on: May 09, 2021, 08:27:35 pm »
hi pi,
please help me. I am in year 8 and my maths and English levels are currently year 8 level as well. the selective school I am applying for requires me to get a 60% in a year 10 advanced test as well as be in the top 5% from my school, although I don't think anyone is applying from my school.  i only have 6 weeks to prepare for the test.
Hi,
I know I am not pi but pi isn't around much anymore. The best advice I can give for your situation is just to try your best. Most people including me have been preparing since last year and that is a massive advantage. Don't give up tho. Just reading through ATAR notes will be a big advantage for the test. I recommend learning how to handle time pressure and just learn as much as you can.

Also, I hope this link helps. It helped me a ton.
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=193899.0

Good luck.
Hope you get in. I'm also doing the test his year so stress levels are high. Haha :D
“People Who Are Crazy Enough To Think They Can Change The World, Are The Ones Who Do.” – Rob Siltanen

Vrari

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #238 on: May 17, 2021, 09:29:18 pm »
Hi, I am a year 9 student doing the Nossal exam to get into year 10 in 2022. I know spaces are limited, however, I still want to try. I tried to find practice papers, but they are for the year 8s going into year 9s. I also searched youtube but they only speak about year 8s going into year 9s too xD I don't know where I could get any information about this. I want to know what sorts of things will come for the year 10 exams for Literacy, verbal, writing and math. I don't know what I should be expecting, does anyone have an idea? I would also like to know what sorts of things (topics) there will be for maths.

TRYHARD6666

• Adventurer
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
« Reply #239 on: May 18, 2021, 09:13:27 pm »
Most people havent been studying from last year tho im guessing 25% of people havent done any studying and maybe 15% have done since last year