Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:25:30 am

Poll

Have you changed at all due to lockdown/being away from people?

Stayed the exact same
9 (19.1%)
Slightly different (but will go back to normal when it's over)
12 (25.5%)
Slightly different (maybe permanent)
20 (42.6%)
Large difference
6 (12.8%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: Do you think you've changed during lockdown?  (Read 4314 times)  Share 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
Do you think you've changed during lockdown?
« on: July 14, 2020, 09:38:46 pm »
+16
Hi everyone!

I'm curious if you guys feel that being away from people has perhaps changed how you think about some things/ if you've been able to discover things about yourself/etc

Please feel free to share anything you want on this thread, whether it's positive/negative, big/small!

For me, it's only small, but I think I've become a little more self confident. I think because I haven't really been around others much (except my family) there has been less opportunities for me to be self-conscious, or overthink my actions, or feel I have to act differently, and it has lead to me feeling more confident (I am not sure if it will last when I am back amongst people). Has this happened to anyone else? One more thing is that I think I've become a little more aware of my own opinions (not just on big issues, but like everyday things, or for choices I have to make) maybe because I have more time to think about things on my own rather than absorbing other's opinions straight away

Also, if you feel like you've stayed the exact same feel free to share that as well haha

(Edit: added poll)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 09:53:33 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
Re: Do you think you've changed during lockdown?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 10:07:24 pm »
+11
I mean, in general, I've remained pretty similar - introverted me incoming ah ha. I've actually enjoyed spending the extra time with family, and I'm so grateful for their company.

In a way I've been happier about myself. I'm not judged for my actions, no need to feel bad about not being invited to a get together because there is none, and so much more self confident. I've been able to do things I truly enjoy.

On a more deep level, I've learnt that there is so much in life that we can't control, and we as humans just need to make the best out of all situations we are given.

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:48 pm »
+11
In essence, I have not exactly changed. But there are things that I (and most people) will likely keep in mind forever, such as the importance of hygiene that has often been overlooked and is now brought to attention as a result of the current situation. Aside from the obvious things, I think that although I haven't changed, per se, I have learnt a lot of things. Like patience, because things take time and it is important to be mindful of everyone around you, and that little acts of kindness go a long way. I have also learnt how cruel society can often be, and how people will often disregard those around them to benefit themselves despite those they have condemned to suffer.

Not all is doom and gloom. ;D I think lockdown has made me appreciate my family a bit more, because I've been spending more time with them as a result of the cancellation of other events leading to more spare time on my hands. I also learnt how amazing it feels to meet friends again after weeks of staring at their pixelated faces and hearing their grainy voices through laptops and phones. I've also come to appreciate the magic teachers cast in the classroom, and although their best efforts, something that just cannot be emulated in an online setting.

Just the little things. :)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

dutyfree

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +70
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 10:57:34 pm »
+9
I think this period allowed me to be really introspective about my life and support network. I’ve grown to be immensely grateful for my small group of friends, who check up on me, share random shows and casually forward memes. I’m appreciative of my family and especially my parents, who make sure to talk to us after their long at work and prioritise talking about feelings. (This seems dumb and slow, but I’ve come to realise that they are also people with their own vulnerabilities, tough days and hopes for the future, and not just my parental figures.)
I have grown a bit in self-confidence, I partially deleted Instagram, meaning the account is still there and I check for messages via my laptop but I no longer spend hours criticising and comparing myself not just in terms of appearance but mostly in terms of how much people have done at such a young age.

In terms of uni and study, for a long time, my way of thinking has been quite narrow; just figuring things out myself and not asking for help. So, when I’m stuck, I tend to spend hours trying to find a specific answer to that assignment/ question, whether that be through reading so many unnecessary research studies or watching videos and reading Quora, just to find that the protein was simply made in the liver. This changed quite a bit, this semester; I, ate some humble pie, pushed my ego down and I booked several one on one meetings with my tutors, to ask for help in the tricky areas. I’m really hoping this continues on because there’re zero disadvantages and invaluable benefits.

I think, I also have come to appreciate a good cry. During the lockdown, I have cried quite a bit before submitting an assignment and ngl, this high key helped; getting all the negative anxious feelings out and coming out fresh with a better mindset.
Overall, this has been so so but definitely has been a time of realisations and slight change.  :)
2018: ATaR: 98.8
2019: quarter-life crisis
2020: Bachelor of Science @ Monash Uni

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2741
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 12:52:08 am »
+12
I'm a bit more sad nowadays.

Beyond that, the days blend together, and when every day feels the same, I don't think I can be introspective enough to comment if I've changed.

I'll comment again after everything is more relaxed and I can time to reflect — whenever that may be 🐢

🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 06:00:48 pm »
+7
I mean, in general, I've remained pretty similar - introverted me incoming ah ha. I've actually enjoyed spending the extra time with family, and I'm so grateful for their company.

In a way I've been happier about myself. I'm not judged for my actions, no need to feel bad about not being invited to a get together because there is none, and so much more self confident. I've been able to do things I truly enjoy.

On a more deep level, I've learnt that there is so much in life that we can't control, and we as humans just need to make the best out of all situations we are given.
I really identify with this!! No need to feel bad about not wanting to go to social events. I'm quite happy to entertain myself most of the time. That being said, I think it's brought me back into the whole tending to withdraw from people thing which isn't great.

Was already a fan of personal space prior to the pandemic, but I think it's really made it come to the front of my mind and I'm always so conscious of it now. I used to really enjoy hugs before this and have missed them but idk if maybe this will turn me into a no hugs person in the future.

Geoo

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Class of 2020
  • Respect: +685
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2020, 06:10:58 pm »
+9
I personally haven't really changed. As someone who already was doing virtual learning for 6 years, this feels pretty much the same as any other year. I'm not extremely introverted or extroverted, so there has been a bit of a benefit in some ways with this lockdown. I don't have to feel the pressure to catch up with people as much, all though I still try to do through skype when I can. I can't say I have enjoyed more time to myself, since my family members that are normally out of the house, are here everyday..... It's been great in that we can hang out more, but not so great as we are starting to step on each others toes.

Other than that, I do miss all of the practical learning we would have to do for some of my subjects..... so that has been the only thing I have been a bit sad about.
2020: VCE 93.2
2022: BSci/Arts (Chemistry/Pharmacology and French)@Monash

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2020, 11:29:31 pm »
+6
Hi everyone!

I'm curious if you guys feel that being away from people has perhaps changed how you think about some things/ if you've been able to discover things about yourself/etc

Please feel free to share anything you want on this thread, whether it's positive/negative, big/small!

For me, it's only small, but I think I've become a little more self confident. I think because I haven't really been around others much (except my family) there has been less opportunities for me to be self-conscious, or overthink my actions, or feel I have to act differently, and it has lead to me feeling more confident (I am not sure if it will last when I am back amongst people). Has this happened to anyone else? One more thing is that I think I've become a little more aware of my own opinions (not just on big issues, but like everyday things, or for choices I have to make) maybe because I have more time to think about things on my own rather than absorbing other's opinions straight away

Also, if you feel like you've stayed the exact same feel free to share that as well haha

(Edit: added poll)

well, I've gotten lazier, fatter, lost motivation, and work ethic!
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2020, 09:30:26 am »
+9
I no longer know how to social.
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »
+10
I think being away from people and not going to uni on campus and having less shifts at work allows me recharge my social battery. Being around many people has made me a bit mentally exhausted so it's nice to have that break.

Also I've been exercising alot during lockdown and I hope to keep this habit going when lockdown is over.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

brothanathan

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 08:32:29 pm »
+3
Just a side thought.. I think especially in times like now, you get to see more of people's true colours. So, for those who are making the most of their situation and doing their best to adapt. You're a bloody ledge!   8) 8)

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 08:38:28 pm »
+12
Just a side thought.. I think especially in times like now, you get to see more of people's true colours. So, for those who are making the most of their situation and doing their best to adapt. You're a bloody ledge!   8) 8)

It is nice to see how some people are adapting positively, however it's also okay for people to not have a positive experience, and I don't think it defines them either way
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

brothanathan

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2020, 09:00:35 pm »
+3
it's also okay for people to not have a positive experience, and I don't think it defines them either way

Very true +1 that

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 05:56:23 pm »
+2
Thought this thread may be of use of a bump given the lockdowns in the 2nd half of the year in VIC.

For Victoria, did you change more during the initial lockdown or the restrictions during the "2nd wave".

Also, now that we have some restrictions relaxed what changes have you noticed in this "COVID normal" environment?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 06:01:35 pm »
+3
Thought this thread may be of use of a bump given the lockdowns in the 2nd half of the year in VIC.

For Victoria, did you change more during the initial lockdown or the restrictions during the "2nd wave".

Also, now that we have some restrictions relaxed what changes have you noticed in this "COVID normal" environment?
I have little memory of the whole year, in the end... combining lockdown+stuff+year 12 made for an - interesting - year memory-wise. I don't remember a lot of it, which is very weird... and now we're back to the oh-no-how-do-I-be-sociable-and-friendly-and-help-me-please feeling, for me.
Changes I have been very glad to see, personally, are mainly to do with religious gatherings being allowed (I like seeing my spiritual family again), and the redaction of masks most of the time.
So I don't know how much, if any, I changed semi-permanently. All I know is that my social skills sure took a hit (if they even existed in the first place).
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.