Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:17:11 am

Author Topic: Advice on my English piece! I'm terrible at English!  (Read 599 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
Advice on my English piece! I'm terrible at English!
« on: February 07, 2019, 06:54:36 pm »
The task;

Choose a side of the argument.
 Either:
12 Angry Men is still relevant today
OR
12 Angry Men is no longer relevant
Following your discussion, write a few sentences which outlines your reasoning and point of view. About 50 - 100 words.

My Writing;

‘Twelve Angry Men’ is still relevant in today’s society.
Reginald Rose’s play shows the mindsets and flaws in today’s society.
Themes of gender and racial inequality.

From the opening scene alone, we see a jury, a completely male jury.
The play, written in the 1950’s obviously has many differences, but the underlying themes still present as issues in our society today.
In the 21st century, women serve on the jury and have been for about 40 years. However, gender inequality is more prominent than ever.
Another theme seen in Reginald Rose’s play, especially demonstrated through Juror 10 and his largely racist views, is racial inequality – while the play is based in 1950’s America, and admittedly a lot has changed in people’s views the views on people of colour. Although racism is an issue in 2019 Australia, things have changed since 1950, but the Indigenous community and immigrants experience racism especially in a small community like * with narrow minded views.

Both gender and racial inequality is a problem in our society now as well as when the play ‘Twelve Angry Men’ was written, 50 years ago.

* - Town name removed
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

keightleennd

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +6
Re: Advice on my English piece! I'm terrible at English!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 02:08:59 pm »
+2
Haha sorry if this is too late  :P

I loved reading 12AM, my class read it like an actual play!

With your word limit you’ve definitely made some valid points.

If you were to do an essay on this I would suggest that you dive deeper with the gender and racial inequalities. When I was reading it I was like that’s a very valid point?? Why hasn’t she explained more?? But obviously with a word limit that small it’s difficult to do ;D

Even though you have covered what I would deem enough for 50-100 you could maybe also explore how we treat people based off their class as well? I’m pretty sure there is one bloke in the jury who keeps going on about how people like the kid are all trash and there’s another’s bloke who stands up and says something about how he grew up in the slums. Based off my memory I’m pretty sure I talked about the youth crime? Cause when you look at it, a lot of what we see comes from kids who live in a low socioeconomic area and because of youth violence I’ve heard a lot of discrimination against a low economic status.

Again sounds like you’re off to a great start! Good luck  ;)
uwu