Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:16:16 am

Author Topic: Physics Popularity  (Read 3863 times)  Share 

wyzard

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
Re: Physics Popularity
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 12:26:05 am »
Hey guys, long time lurker. I've noticed VCE Physics has quite a dull and boring reputation and isn't liked amongst most students (hence my 3/4 class having 5 students) whereas it is easily my favourite subject and is very fun, what do you guys think of the subject overall?

Haha I see what you mean, unfortunately physics definitely is notorious for being dull and boring in high school  :( The impression many students have is a teacher standing in front of class talking monotonously, whiteboard full of equations, a list of formula to be momerised and (ask any student for their impression for physics).

Usually I find that physics if taught correctly, can easily be made one of the most interesting area in science. And hands down physics is my all-time favorite subject and the love of my life (which is why I'm still studying physics in uni now :P )

I think one of the main reason why physics don't really have a really good reputation in school is mainly because of the way it is taught, too much emphasis on memorizing formulas and doing the same types of problem repeatedly; and of course it's challenging nature that makes physics seems to suit only the nerdiest kid in school.

My experience with most of physics teachers in high school so far aren't that great, and they make physics the seem like the most boring and dull subject ever. The reason why I fell in love with physics is actually not because of school, but rather I read a lot of science books and watch a lot of science-related videos on my own and learned without feeling the constraint of the need to do well in school.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 12:28:57 am by wyzard »
Graduated from high school in 2012 with atar of 99.55.

Currently doing MSc in Physics at UoM researching on Quantum Computers.

Offering group lessons for Unit 3/4 VCE Methods and Physics for 2017!

Selling awesome and in-depth study notes for Unit 3 Physics, PM me if interested! :D

Writer/Tutor at (Nerd of Passion)!
Connect with me on Facebook!